The Thread of Democrats

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: The Thread of Democrats

Post by laklak » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm

Of course not, and that's settled law. But subsidizing artists isn't the same thing as guaranteeing free political speech, it's giving free money to some people, paid for by other people, the vast majority of whom don't give two shits about "art". What has art ever actually done for anyone? If the Mona Lisa wasn't painted nothing would be any different than it is now. It's not like the latest exhibition or opera performance fed any hungry people, supported a homeless shelter, or paid for chemo treatments, is it?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 pm

laklak wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 pm
What has art ever actually done for anyone? If the Mona Lisa wasn't painted nothing would be any different than it is now. It's not like the latest exhibition or opera performance fed any hungry people, supported a homeless shelter, or paid for chemo treatments, is it?
Life would suck balls without art. I'm not necessarily arguing that tax dollars should go into funding the arts, but I will say that I would prefer to see more of my taxes go to funding the arts than all the perpetual warfare...

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty narrow view of the world if you can't see how beneficial art has been to civilisation.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 pm

I didn't hear anyone say that.

I do hear people saying they don't want to be forced to pay for someone elses idea of 'art' though.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 pm
Maybe you need to put your reading glasses on.

What has art ever actually done for anyone? If the Mona Lisa wasn't painted nothing would be any different than it is now. - laklak
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:12 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:48 pm
Yeah, it's a pretty narrow view of the world if you can't see how beneficial art has been to civilisation.
pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:56 pm
Cunt wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:52 pm
Maybe you need to put your reading glasses on.

What has art ever actually done for anyone? If the Mona Lisa wasn't painted nothing would be any different than it is now. - laklak

Got em on. I'm even squinting.

He didn't say the words you tried to put in his mouth.

Why not try 'steelmanning' instead of your usual 'strawmanning'.

Oh, and my apologies if you have indeed fairly represented laklak's position.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

rainbow wrote:
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 am

Of course you disagree. Wouldn't expect otherwise. :roll:

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am

:fp:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 am

-jesus

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:18 am

Art is great. I love it. I got more music and film and video and whatever than most people. The house is full of art from all over the world, from me, Mrs. Lak, my parents, her parents. My life would be incredibly dull without art in one form or another. I just don't see how it's in the purview of the government to fund it. There's other shit needs funding. Though I do agree with Seabass, better to fund the arts than bomb Syria.

I'll make a couple of exceptions. The Library of Congress, for example, and local and state funding for public libraries. Federal funding for public school art programs, though that should be at the discretion of local school boards, they know where the money needs to go. Design of public monuments, buildings, etc. Other things, maybe, I'd have to think about it on a case by case basis.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 am

When a philosopher submits a paper about dog park humping behaviour, and the academic journal publishes it, and gave it an award for exemplary scholarship, is it 'art'?
-various artists

Joe wrote:
he doesn't communicate

rainbow wrote:

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Cunt wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 am
When a philosopher submits a paper about dog park humping behaviour, and the academic journal publishes it, and gave it an award for exemplary scholarship, is it 'art'?
That would be science. Biology IMHO :prof:
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:52 pm

TRUMP’S WORST TWITTER ENEMY IS JOINING THE TEAM INVESTIGATING HIM
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and two of her freshmen colleagues have been named to the House Oversight Committee.
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01 ... -committee
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:00 pm

rainbow wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 am
Forty Two wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 pm
No no. You need to love all government. Opposing some, and having a view as to the proper role of government is what right wingers do.

If you think some of the government is bad, then you're no different than the typical right of center conservative. You just like different parts of it.
FFS

Someone thinks some of the government is bad
Conservatives think some of the government is bad
Therefore anyone who thinks that anything is wrong with government is a right-wing nutjob.

You really do need to reread your book "Logic for Dummies"
You missed the sarcasm. I was parroting the structure of argument presented by leftists.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:02 pm

BarnettNewman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:04 pm
Cunt wrote:I believe in funding art, but when the government tries to do it, we end up paying our taxes into fucking Marvel movies...it's fucking ludicrous.
You wouldn’t know a good investment if it hit you in the face.

Creative returns on investment: Funding the arts grows the bottom line | The Star
John Brotman, executive director of the Ontario Arts Council, also points to the $300 million that Ontario artists gave back through income tax (based on the 2006 census). The organizations the council funds leverage $512 million in direct expenditures from the $43 million they receive in grants every year.
In all fairness, they're not taking into account that much, if not all, of that $512 million would be leveraged without the $43 million.

But, there is nothing necessarily "wrong" with the government funding some of the "arts." The question just becomes "which arts ought to be funded..."?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar