Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Confederate Flag to Fly at City Hill in Belleview, Flori

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Do you disavow the charge that the Confederate flag has a certain and particular association with Southern far-right and white- supremacist groups 42?
Do I deny support for the charge that the confederate flag has an association with southern far right and white supremacist groups? I don't think that's a coherent question. But, if what you mean is, do I deny the charge that the confederate flag is used by southern far right and white supremacist groups? Of course not. Some racists like to waive that flag. So? Some racists wrap themselves in the American flag. They can't have that one to themselves either, IMO.
Do yoy think the conferderate flag holds a particular significance for those groups, or just that their association with the flag isn't particularly significant?
Yes, depending on which group you're talking about.
I think it is pretty clear which groups we're talking about.
Do you deny that the third flag of the confederacy holds significance, historical or otherwise, to some people which is apart from slavery?
A little, for some - although I believe the issue pertains to the Second Confederate flag, or Navy Jack or Battle Flag of the Southern States as noted here.

Of course, some may view it in entirely dispassionately historical terms - but that some may does nothing to dilute it's broader significance as the emblem of those who went to war to retain and expand a political, economic and social system predicated on the ownership of individuals as property and on the lawful exploitation of those individual as a private economic resource.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri May 05, 2017 11:56 pm

Forty Two wrote:Look - the Mongolians have statues of Genghis Khan as a revered symbol of their history. He was one of the worst murderers and tyrants in history - a rapist, a slaver, a despot. Yet, as a symbol of Mongolian history - good, bad, ugly - he's part of it. Do they honor his rapine, slaughter, invasion, conquest, enslavement, pillaging, theft and despotism? Not generally those aspects. They honor the history.
What you say about Genghis Khan is accurate, but in your attempt to salvage your position you're missing some relevant distinctions here. Give or take a few decades, Genghis Khan's reign was 800 years ago. While certain countries in the Middle East might conceivably resent the fact that a country thousands of miles away continues to revere him, they don't have their noses rubbed in it every day. On the other hand the Confederacy and its fight to keep slavery alive are much more recent, and still directly affect the culture of the United States. The descendants of those slaves are still living in the US, and many of them live in the parts of the country where some insist on celebrating the Confederacy.

Given the history associated with Genghis Khan we might say that Muslims have the most cause to resent him being celebrated. However, many of his most powerful descendants converted to Islam, so it seems that even the few Mongolian Muslims can easily reconcile themselves to the fact that his image is a part of Mongolian culture, especially given the fact that they probably have no ancestors who were among his victims.

Then there's the fact that the Confederate flag has been and continues to be used by racist groups (some with relatively recent histories of violence against black people) as a symbol of their ideologies. Maybe you can tell me how many Mongolians have been rallying around the image of Genghis Khan while espousing a despicable ideology and engaging in violent behavior against descendants of his victims. I'm not aware of any.

I think your attempt to use Genghis Khan to support your position is absurd, but maybe that's just me.
Forty Two wrote:The Hammer and Sickle still can be seen in Russia, like during Victory Day Parades. That hammer and sickle represents enslavement of an entire nation of people under totalitarian communism, and the slaughter of 10s of millions.
I would not be surprised if there are Russians and people of other nationalities living in Russia who would object to the continued celebration of the flag of the USSR if it were not for the fact that they live under a dictatorship and could suffer dire consequences if they made it an issue. Fortunately, the US is not a dictatorship, and people can still express their opinions on an issue like this.

Hermit has also addressed your post and dissected its failure, so I'm not going to waste any more time on it, but I didn't want to just ignore it. ;)

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat May 06, 2017 1:42 am

It seems to me that the legacy of slavery is still a very tender issue, and one never far from the surface of the American cultural experience.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 06, 2017 2:06 am

laklak wrote:Coarsely ground cornmeal, usually from hominy, which is corn slaked in lime to remove the hull. It's boiled and served with butter, salt and pepper, though some barbarians put milk and sugar on them and eat it like breakfast cereal. Those people should be shipped down to y'all for crimes against humanity.

So is it anything like Pap? That's made from cornmeal, I think. Sounds better than pap, anyway.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat May 06, 2017 8:29 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Fortunately, the US is not a dictatorship, and people can still express their opinions on an issue like this.
Just give Trump time.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sat May 06, 2017 11:15 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Yes, depending on which group you're talking about.
I think it is pretty clear which groups we're talking about.
You might think so, but name them. We can then see exactly what significance those groups have.
Brian Peacock wrote:
Do you deny that the third flag of the confederacy holds significance, historical or otherwise, to some people which is apart from slavery?
A little, for some - although I believe the issue pertains to the Second Confederate flag, or Navy Jack or Battle Flag of the Southern States as noted here.
No, the articles linked note that Belleview FL wanted to fly the third flag.
Brian Peacock wrote: Of course, some may view it in entirely dispassionately historical terms - but that some may does nothing to dilute it's broader significance as the emblem of those who went to war to retain and expand a political, economic and social system predicated on the ownership of individuals as property and on the lawful exploitation of those individual as a private economic resource.
By the same token, that some may view the flag like they view the swastika does not dilute its broader significance to those who don't view it that way.

And,historically, emblems of exploitation are quite common. the English flag was an emblem that went to war to retain and expand a political, economic and social system predicated on the ownership of individuals as property and on the lawful exploitation of those individuals as a public and private economic resource. Note, the English flag symbol goes back to the Crusades, flew over feudalism, an aristocratic system which held the commoners in serfdom. The symbol of St. George's cross was used by Crusaders. Even today, the symbology associated with the British monarchy is the symbology of a class system of aristocrats, lords, ladies, kings, queens and commoners, harkening back to centuries of oppression, murder, theft, and war to press the rights of those aristocrats, seize lands, rule "subjects" etc. It harkens back to colonialism, where essentially a small island conquered 1/4 of the globe, and cheered itself on while doing it - oppression, tyranny, murder, theft and conquest. Is that not what the Union Jack and the English Flag stands for?

The current flag of Brazil flew over slavery. Are we to believe that it flew over slavery despite general opposition of the people and the government to that institution?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sat May 06, 2017 11:27 am

laklak wrote:It was mostly about chicken fried steak. Yankees claimed that "chicken fried steak" was a stupid name because there's actually no chicken in it. They also claimed milk gravy wasn't actually gravy. This was an intolerable insult to the Southern Way of LIfe and we responded as any civilized person would, by shooting cannons at their asses to reclaim our honor.

They also said okra was slimy and not fit for human consumption, and that grits were tasteless. What would you have us do?
The War was fought over barbecue. The northerners tried to force the South to consider grilling to be a form of barbecuing. The south then adopted its well-known slogan, "This aggression will not stand, man."
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sun May 07, 2017 2:53 pm

pErvin wrote: So is it anything like Pap? That's made from cornmeal, I think. Sounds better than pap, anyway.
Pretty much the same thing, though pap is usually whole kernel dried corn. Grits are soaked in an alkaline solution to remove the husk and kill the germ (prevents it sprouting in storage).
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun May 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Pap is very popular here. I dont know if it is the same being but it is sold in packets and is made from whole wheat:

"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

Only pap I know is what Rainbow eats with missionaries, it's made from corn meal. Most African countries have an equivalent. I like mine with boeries and chakalala

Fuck I'm hungry.

Feck

Post by Feck » Sun May 07, 2017 4:24 pm

Nothing made with corn tastes good . Even if you feed it to chickens they turn bright fucking yellow ! Corn flower is the last resort of a bad chef .
There is use for corn ....
https://www.thebalance.com/corn-starch- ... ng-2221071
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Feck

Post by Feck » Sun May 07, 2017 4:26 pm

"which is corn slaked in lime to remove the hull"
Obviously NOT FOOD !

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun May 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Corn on the cob tastes fucking awesome.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Feck

Post by Feck » Sun May 07, 2017 5:25 pm

:|~

laklak

Post by laklak » Sun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Yeah baby! Mexican grilled corn with chili, crema and lime juice, that's how I fucking roll. There will be grilled corn tonight, smoked beef brisket, lima beans, plenteous beer, and to top it off, double chocolate fudge brownies with pistachio ice cream.