Will the US go bankrupt?

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Will the US go bankrupt?

Post by mistermack » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:01 am

It would make a lot of sense. If you have huge debts, dump them. The USA is big enough to withstand the flak.

And Donald know's all about how to make bankruptcy pay. He will blame the lenders for being reckless with their lending, and blame previous administrations for borrowing it all.

He's perfectly capable of thinking the unthinkable.
I would be resisting any temptation to buy US debt, if I were in that business.
And I would be downgrading it, if I was an analyst.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Will the US go bankrupt?

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:33 am

they probably could do that. But consider, they'd have to pay higher interest on foreign borrowings after that point.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:43 am

The US government will run out of money on 29 April unless Congress vote for a budget. In the past majority congresdional Republicans have done this to put pressure on Democrat administrations. If this happens again this year Congress Republicans will effectively be applying pressure to themselves, while signalling open season on Trump. They'll have nobody to blame but themselves, so I cant see that happening.

On the wider point, while international oil transaction continue to be carried out in US$ America retains a license to (literally) print money. No need for clever accounting as long as there's still oil in the ground.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:51 am

The US is technically insolvent.

If it were a business, it would be advised to declare bankruptcy, and go into business rescue.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 am

pErvin wrote:they probably could do that. But consider, they'd have to pay higher interest on foreign borrowings after that point.
That would be heavily outweighed by paying NO interest on the money they owe now.
Not only no interest, but no repayments either.

Since most of the new borrowing (if not all) is done to balance out the interest and repayments they are making, it would take decades for the US to actually need to borrow anything new. If ever.

As a financial move, it would be devastating to the lenders, but not to the US.
And Trump knows that only too well. He's done it many times. What has it done to HIS borrowing costs? And does he care?

They still elected him President, so he hasn't even taken a knock reputation-wise.
Countries like Greece can't carry it off, but the US definitely could.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:36 am

If the US effectively massively devalues its currency by some technical measure then the whole world suffers the consequences. I reckon the main problem is rooted in the systems of international usury that result from differently/inconsistently regulated financial markets. Perhaps we're getting to a time where a global currency is needed - though that would require a global government and a global regulator to work. The EURO was a tentative step in that direction, but that has just highlighted that while political parties in individual nations are willing to hold out for particular advantages political agreement, and therefore financial stability, is nigh on impossible. Still, it was a good idea.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:52 pm

"Will the US go bankrupt?"
NO! The US doesn't have any debts at all for 2 reasons:

a) It prints however much money it wants; digitally from the Federal reserve.
b) It'll destroy any country that wants its money back or wants to leave its "protection" racket.

China has already been warned not to expect any of its loans back... Initially, they'll all be 'confiscated' if it tries, under various excuses, such as 'terrorism', or 'fines' for emissions or 'unfair' exchange rates, etc.
Ultimately, if the initial bullying doesn't work, they'll simply be wiped out, hence no debts. :coffee:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian