The thread of Campus Crazy Hijinks

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The thread of Campus Crazy Hijinks

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:34 pm

The Tory talking head offered in support this idea today said that universities, being subsidised by the public, and in turn subsidising their student unions, are now to be held responsible for student unions as well as accountable to government for the actions of their student unions. Now I totally agree that people shouldn't be 'no-platformed' simply for publicly declaring, supporting, or advocating fringe and/or objectionable views -- but that does rather depend on the specific views themselves and what people think about them -- but neither is it the government's role to protect anyone's beliefs, views, or even ideological insistences from criticism or censure. The driver for this idea is exactly the same driver which sparked the creation of this thread - that young people are wayward and irresponsible, ideologically corrupt, corrupted or corrupting, and that they need a 'grown up' to keep them in line and remind them who they should and must respect.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:01 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote: LOL - keep on dreaming about who I am and which usernames I use. It's so important. Oh, no! He won't admit that years ago he used a different username, and I just know it was him. I just know it. He has to admit it. Cuz, like, I have to know. Anyone who does not admit or deny whether they used to use a different username is a liar!
I don't give a rats arse whether you admit it or not. The whole point of this exercise is to show how you are dishonest. Admitting it now after you've been outed won't all of a sudden make you not dishonest. You are a habitual liar. It's why you get no respect here.
I'm not a liar, but you're a total tool. :dance:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:06 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Jo Johnson to tell universities to stop 'no-platforming' speakers

Universities could face fines for failing to uphold free speech if their student unions do not give a platform to speakers such as Germaine Greer and Peter Tatchell, the higher education minister has said.

Jo Johnson said some student campaigners were trying to stifle debate as he confirmed plans to allow the newly created Office for Students (OfS) to fine or suspend institutions that fail to protect freedom of speech on campuses.

The government’s Boxing Day announcement does not name universities or student campaigners that have suppressed free speech and follows a similar one in October.

But speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme, Johnson suggested fines could be one of the punishments used to deal with “no platforming” of campaigners with controversial views.

Asked about cases where students had tried to deny speaking slots to Tatchell, a gay rights campaigner, and Greer, a feminist writer, over their views on transgender issues, he said: “The Office for Students will have a range of remedies at its disposal which do include fines at the more extreme end of the spectrum. I think it is important that we look at the cases mentioned.

“These are speakers who have been potentially banned or harried under no-platforming or safe spaces decisions. On all reasonable definitions, they are advocates of openness and liberal values and should be welcomed on our campuses.”

He claimed that at some universities students had insisted on extensive lists of “trigger words” that should not be used and had demanded the removal of books from their libraries...

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -of-speech
Tell me again why people must have a right to be free to publicly express their opinions without anybody else objecting?
Students can object if they want to. Disrupt, no. Object, yes. But no-platforming means the university itself is dropping a speaker. If Milo Yiannopoulis is going to the university to speak, then the anti-Milo folks can march and demonstrate if they want, as can the anti-antiMilo folks, and the anti-anti-antiMilo folks.

Now, a person or group can "demand" removal of books from the library all they want. However, just because one is demanding a book with a character "Nigger Jim" be removed rather than one that says "fuck" too many times, doesn't make one any less censorious of a moral busy-body. The university's decision as to what to include in the library, however, ought not be based on politics.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:26 pm

snowflakenutrition.jpg
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm

In another example of how pretentious the modern college generation can be, the protesters who disrupted a speech by Duke president Vincent Price to alumni this weekend are miffed that they were admonished by school officials, and not those in attendance who had dared to voice their displeasure.

On Saturday, demonstrators crashed the stage while Price was speaking, shouting “President Price get off the stage” and “Whose University? Our University!” and then listed demands which include training staff to deal with undocumented students, and nixing “medically unnecessary surgery on intersex infants” in the Duke Health System.

Angered alumni booed, used profanity, and even turned their backs to the activists as they spoke.

According to The Chronicle, the protesters were “surprised by the extent of the alumni’s negative reactions.” SeniorBryce Cracknell said he was “disappointed that the administrators focused more on stopping the students than angry alumni” (emphasis added).

“Instead of actually going to the alumni and saying ‘that’s not appropriate’ or removing them from the space, they were more worried about us,” he said
https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/44027/

So, there is presentation by the school President to a seated hall of alumni. College "protesters" enter uninvited, scream and yell and chant, commandeer the stage and interfere with the event. Alumni in the audience stand up and shout back, expressing opposition to the protesters, and turning their backs on the protesters, etc. The protesters think the alumni should have been rebuked for inappropriate behavior.

And, when the university starts the misconduct process against the protesters, for their misconduct, they say that any such actions would be detrimental to the preexisting mental health issues of the protesters....https://reason.com/blog/2018/04/20/duke ... university

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:08 pm

Just adds more schadenfreude to the inevitable shit-kicking they'll get when they leave the hallowed halls of academia.

What? You're offended and triggered? Tough shit, now go clean the deep fryers.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:37 pm

It's your fault. All you old folks raised the idiots that raised these idiots.

"What do we want?" --a real problem

"When do we want it?" --right fucking nowwwwwwwwwwww

Their heart's in the right place? :hehe:
Last edited by Sean Hayden on Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:41 pm

I really hope that article is a slanted take on what really happened. If not, these people really are fucking idiots. Not that I doubt it. I've met (and been banned by) enough of them on my friends of friends list on facebook.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

laklak

Post by laklak » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:12 pm

You go far enough right or far enough left and you end up in the same place, a big pool of fucking idiots.

The only rational people are centrists, and the most rational of all are Libertarians. With guns. Lots and lots of guns. And weed. Homegrown, non-GMO, organic weed.

Them ATF mofos best stay the fuck away from Copperhead Road.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Reason is racist - https://downtrend.com/robertgehl/profes ... construct/

Science is racist - https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10021

Free speech is racist - https://ijr.com/the-declaration/2017/10 ... e=hs_email

But the "real threat" is 20 asshats burning a cross in a field somewhere.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Your post has the unfortunate effect of downgrading the threat from the KKK, whose actions are indeed a real threat to people of colour. The silly over-reactions of a few campus idiots is unimportant; the KKK are not.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:15 am

Exactly. A white nationalist drove his car through a crowd of people in Charlottesville. That's not 20 asshats burning a cross in a field somewhere.

Edit: and whadda ya know, the Toronto van murderer was likely an alt-right tool.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:32 am

JimC wrote:Your post has the unfortunate effect of downgrading the threat from the KKK, whose actions are indeed a real threat to people of colour. The silly over-reactions of a few campus idiots is unimportant; the KKK are not.
But Jim, you see, those campus idiots are far more dangerous than a few wacky cross-burning asshats. The longer bars on these graphs mean "nicer"! :prof: Furthermore, left-wing thugs tend to destroy property, while right-wing thugs tend to murder, and we all know property is more valuable than humans, ergo, left-wing thugs are clearly the worse of the two. :prof:

https://qz.com/1182778/the-far-right-wa ... s-in-2017/

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/10/2/163 ... rism-islam
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:35 am

Reports compiled by Marxists. :coffee:

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:42 am

pErvinalia wrote:Exactly. A white nationalist drove his car through a crowd of people in Charlottesville. That's not 20 asshats burning a cross in a field somewhere.

Edit: and whadda ya know, the Toronto van murderer was likely an alt-right tool.
He was not. Try "Eliott Rodger incel" type.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould