Japanese Potato Chip Famine.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Japanese Potato Chip Famine.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm

mistermack wrote:If you look at it logically, the word chips comes from wood chips.

Wood chips are not like crisps, they are thick like chips.
Crisps are more like wood shavings. Which is what they were originally called.
This is not that complicated, nor is it really a bone of contention, at least for Americans. We know what chips are and we know what french fries are. When served with fried fish, it's "fish and chips." So, Americans are fully capable of embracing multiple usages of the word.

The first known mention of “chips” in relation to “fried slice of potato” is in Charles Dickens' “A Tale of Two Cities” in 1859 (“Husky chips of potatoes, fried with some reluctant drops of oil”).

Yes, blokes, you got that right. Charles.Fucking.Dickens. CHIPS of potatoes. Potato. Chips.

Moreover, your thick vs thin theory falls apart like stale bread when you realize that chip was also used early on to refer to things like poker chips and tokens, which are thin, almost the same thickness as "husky chips of potatoes..."

I think that Dickens settles it.
mistermack wrote:
What do Americans call Pork Scratchings?
Pork rind.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Forty Two wrote:This is not that complicated, nor is it really a bone of contention, at least for Americans. We know what chips are and we know what french fries are. When served with fried fish, it's "fish and chips." So, Americans are fully capable of embracing multiple usages of the word.
No no no. You do not have fries with fish. You have fries with burgers or fried chicken or other excessively processed fast foods. Fries, chips and crisps are all distinctly different things.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 pm

Also you're completely wrong on that Dickens quote. It's not referring to a fried "slice" of potato at all. It's referring to the fried potato sold by street vendors in France, from the same origin as your "French fries". It's set in the French revolution and is talking about hunger and the lack of food. Not the lack of a crispy snack.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:32 pm

PsychoSerenity wrote:
Forty Two wrote:This is not that complicated, nor is it really a bone of contention, at least for Americans. We know what chips are and we know what french fries are. When served with fried fish, it's "fish and chips." So, Americans are fully capable of embracing multiple usages of the word.
No no no. You do not have fries with fish. You have fries with burgers or fried chicken or other excessively processed fast foods. Fries, chips and crisps are all distinctly different things.
It's not that complicated, FFS. In the US, the things you call chips are a variety of fries. However, when served with fried fish, they are called chips. if served with a burger, the same chips would be called fries.

We don't really call anything "crisps." Pringles renamed its things "crisps," but in practice they are not called that.

You say "you do not have fries with fish." No. YOU don't have fries with fish, because in your land you don't consider chips a kind of fries or fries a kind of chips. In the US, the chips you serve with fish would be called fries if we served them next to a burger. Yes, we have fries with burgers or fried chicken, but those may or may not be similar to the chips you are referring to. We have some fries here that are very thin and crispy, some soggy, some medium cut, some crinkle cut, some waffle cut, some thicker cut, some called "steak fries" and still other varieties, only we lump them all together under the umbrella rubric "fries."

Please link to images of the "distinctly different," fries and chips. I understand that crisps in your milieu are the same as our potato chips, so that's not necessary.

Also, as an aside, you referred to fries being served with burgers and fried chicken and "other" excessively processed fast food. Note, that a burger and fried chicken are generally not any more (or less) "processed" than fish and chips. Fried chicken is chicken that is breaded or battered and fried. Fish and chips involves fish that is breaded or battered and fried. No additional "processing" involved. A burger is just meat in a patty with any number of varieties of seasonings and spices, etc., involved. Other than the meat being ground, there is no more processing to it than with chicken or fish.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:39 pm

I like thick-cut fries with the skins left on :tat:
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:44 pm

We just call everything "chips" in Australia. When referring to "crisps" we will often talk in terms of a "packet of chips".
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 pm

English chips....completely and utterly different than fries....

Might as well be comparing apples to hand-grenades.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Well, if it wasn't for the vinegar...

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:44 pm

And the thin brown sauce.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Eglidh chips different than... oh wait, same as french fries. Confused lol
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:12 pm

NineBerry wrote:Well, if it wasn't for the vinegar...
vinegar on chips is awesome, you are the sourpuss ;)
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 pm

They're fucking potatoes. Fried fucking potatoes. There's only so many ways you can fry a fucking potato. Of course you could also

Boil 'em Mash 'em Stick 'em in a stew.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:37 pm

laklak wrote:They're fucking potatoes. Fried fucking potatoes. There's only so many ways you can fry a fucking potato. Of course you could also

Boil 'em Mash 'em Stick 'em in a stew.
Americans can't. American fried potatoes suck.

PsychoSerenity

Post by PsychoSerenity » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:17 pm

It's so funny winding you up. :{D

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:38 pm

There is a Chinese chip shop/take away near where I used to live.

The woman who ran it was nice, but her English never improved much.

As she was dishing the chips, she always said " salt nagar? " meaning "salt-and-vinegar?"
and it really sounded like "salt niggar?" the way she said it.

It was a high immigrant area, lots of blacks used the place, but she never changed the pronunciation. I don't think anyone ever pointed it out to her what it sounded like.

You could always see people smirking, when she said it to a black person. But nobody ever said anything. Even the black kids used to laugh about it.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.