United Airlines Turns Away Travelers For Wearing Leggings

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

United Airlines Turns Away Travelers For Wearing Leggings

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:37 pm

The outrage of the weekend was that United Airlines has been sexist for enforcing a dress code: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... 4094fb1822

No leggings or yoga pants as pants, says United Airlines -- not for its employees or those traveling on employee passes to travel free or discount. The company says that people travelling on its employee travel passes have to dress according to their dress code. General passengers can wear what they like.

The objection is that it is sexist, even though men would technically be turned away too for wearing the same things. The argument is that in actual fact men don't wear that stuff, but women do, so if there is a dress code prohibiting it, then it's sexist. There are also dress code rules for various things men commonly wear, too.

Another argument is that United Airlines is a private company which does not need to respect the freedom of expression of its passengers, and can set appearance guidelines if it wants to. That, of course, would not allow it to enact a rule that discriminates based on sex, though, so if the rule is discriminatory, then it would not be allowed as airlines cannot discriminate based on sex.

Another argument is that airlines should not be policing what people wear, and heck, if they want to wear leggings, then let this guy wear leggings...

I wonder if they'd let that guy sit next to an unaccompanied minor. http://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/ ... anied-kids
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Re: United Airlines Turns Away Travelers For Wearing Legging

Post by laklak » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:10 pm

My ex was a flight attendant for American Airlines, if we traveled on a pass there were strict dress codes. If you weren't dressed correctly you didn't get on the plane, full stop. Their airline, their rules.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 pm

laklak wrote:My ex was a flight attendant for American Airlines, if we traveled on a pass there were strict dress codes. If you weren't dressed correctly you didn't get on the plane, full stop. Their airline, their rules.
When applied to women, that's sexist. Men don't wear leggings much, so to prohibit them is sexist. :prof:
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:44 pm

I vaguely recall that the French enacted a law, probably some time during the 19th century, that prohibited people sleeping under the bridges of the Seine. It was deemed to be just and fair by the lawmakers because it made sleeping under the bridges of the Seine illegal to everyone, no matter if they were, say, the most destitute sans cullottes or the most successful agent de change.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:23 am

Dress code seems fair to me. You? https://www.google.com/amp/heavy.com/ne ... gings/amp/

This is just another case of nobody caring unless it impacts women. Men can't wear clothes with holes and dirty clothes. And men are bigger slobs than women, so it's discriminatory against men.

Men are more likely to wear shorts, and so they are most effected by the 3 inch rule. We know they are more apt to wear shots because we have learned elsewhere that the air conditioning is sexist against women by being set too cold for them. So they will tend to wear clothes that covers them more.

Sexism everywhere!