West Wing becomes reality.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

West Wing becomes reality.

Post by Animavore » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Trigger warning: Contains social justice and equality some might find offensive.

West Wing.

Reality.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... erent-maps
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: West Wing becomes reality.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:22 pm

That whole map thing is another contrived social justice cause. It's a map. None of them are 100% accurate, most are off because of the difficulty in projecting an oblate spheroid on a map.

Yes, the Mercator map distorts relative size, but in school that is made clear when people learn about maps. And, schools do have globes in them.

The suggestion that the Mercator map is tool of oppression is just more SJW bullshit.

The person in the video clip wants it to be federal law that the Gall Peters map be used to teach. That alone is absurd. There isn't anything "wrong" with the Mercator map, or various other maps, or the Gall Peters map, but there is no law now that requires the mercator map to be used, or that only one map can be used, etc.

The notion, also, that someone who rises to the level of Chief of Staff of the White House doesn't know that maps don't accurately portray size is crazy. the reaction of the people is amazing - what is all this? "It's where you've been living all this time..." -- apparently the woman never looked at a globe.

And, the assertion is that people adopted some sort of discriminatory or ethnic primacy because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere in the north and that the projection distorts country size is absurd. I mean, supposedly it exaggerates the size of NORTH AMERICA in order to make people think that colonial powers are better than the third world countries. However, the fucking map was drawn in 1569. In 1569, the only city in the United States was St. Augustine, Florida, a Spanish fort. It was founded four years earlier in 1565. The Dutch didn't arrive until 1615. The British didn't arrive until 1620, when the Pilgrims landed, or if you like 1607, when they founded Jamestown colony, which was wiped out by native Americans a year or so later. So, the point being, nobody gave a flying fuck about North or South America, which almost completely unexplored and the US did not exist and the New World colonial empires had not yet come to be. Yet, we're told that the Mercator projection somehow was designed to privilege North America. Come the fuck on.

It supposedly unfairly increases the size of Greenland, right - when it should be 14 times smaller than Africa. And, in 1569, Mercator somehow had the nefarious plan to unfairly raise the esteem of Greenland.... and Baffin Island Canada, etc. -- at the expense of the almost equally unexplored and unknown African continent. The fact that Greenland is so big, and Iceland, etc., must mean that the world's people are made to overly credit Greenland and Iceland, Baffin Island, etc., with being superior to the rest of the world....

Also, the Gall Peters map is not "where you've been living all these years..." The Gall map stretches horizontally near the poles and vertically near the Equator, so although the size may be approximately right, the shape definitely isn't. There are plenty of better maps than Gall Peters, too. Not sure why there would be a focus on that one.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm

West Wing writer already cried a few weeks ago that no one cares about political drama with Trump as president.
Daily press briefing beats all the soap operas.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:41 pm

Fuck off, the lot of you. This is the only correct 2-dimensional map.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:01 pm

I think they should design a map with the poles on the sides, instead of top and bottom.

Either that, or make maps illegal, requiring geography be taught exclusively on globes.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Why bother with paper maps at all? Everybody can pull out their smartphones, tablets or whatever and get onto an interactive map where you can rotate a virtual globe to any angle you wish to view.

Won't be too long before we drag holograms out of our pockets.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:15 pm

Yep, holographic globes FTW! :woot:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:13 am

Forty Two wrote:...because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere in the north ...
You do realise that "north" is not objective, right?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:15 am

On a related note, apparently the kooky idea that the Earth is flat is growing popularity.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:46 am

among people with a flat EEG
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:57 am

Use this map. A lot more accurate

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:02 am

:lol:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:09 am

pErvin wrote:On a related note, apparently the kooky idea that the Earth is flat is growing popularity.
I've noticed this. Surely if it were Trudeau making maps would be far easier.

For obvious reasons I support maps which don't favour Western, Imperial colonisation. I think it's funny whitey getting precious over it. It's almost like you can feel the mourning of the loss of power.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:58 am

map_projections.png

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:15 pm

pErvin wrote:
Forty Two wrote:...because the Mercator map displayed the northern hemisphere in the north ...
You do realise that "north" is not objective, right?
North is north whether the globe has it pointing down or up. In the universe, there is no up, so displaying the Earth on its side (based on the way we've usually displayed it) is also just as valid. But, "just as valid" doesn't mean the traditional display of north on top is invalid or less valid, or that we need to be "fair" to all directions and display the Earth with different directions on top....