Or a medicine man.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: The US Healthcare Mass Debate

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 am

American health care:

Toothless in Virginia: Pain relief for the uninsured of America
n the heart of the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia, hundreds of people gather at dawn at a rural airport's parking lot, to be the first in the queue for free medical and dental attention at the Remote Area Medical (RAM) pop up clinic.
I wonder who they voted for?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 am

you can be sure that the clinic people voted Dem, though.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:25 am

Svartalf wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:56 am
you can be sure that the clinic people voted Dem, though.
Undoubtedly. They think.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:05 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:43 am
American health care:

Toothless in Virginia: Pain relief for the uninsured of America
n the heart of the Appalachian Mountains in Virginia, hundreds of people gather at dawn at a rural airport's parking lot, to be the first in the queue for free medical and dental attention at the Remote Area Medical (RAM) pop up clinic.
I wonder who they voted for?
I wonder if the medical care involves repairing bullet holes in Hatfields and McCoys?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Just FYI, Mercatus Center is funded by the Koch Bros.

'Even Libertarians Admit Medicare for All Would Save Trillions'
The US could insure 30 million more Americans and virtually eliminate out-of-pocket health care expenses while saving $2 trillion in the process, according to a new report about Medicare for All released by the libertarian Mercatus Center.

In the report, Charles Blahous attempts to roughly score Bernie Sanders’s most recent Medicare-for-All bill and reaches the somewhat surprising (for Mercatus) conclusion that, if the bill were enacted, the new costs it creates would be more than offset by the new savings it generates through administrative efficiencies and reductions in unit prices.

The report’s methods are pretty straightforward. Blahous starts with current projections about how much the country will spend on health care between 2022 and 2031. From there, he adds the costs associated with higher utilization of medical services and then subtracts the savings from lower administrative costs, lower reimbursements for medical services, and lower drug prices. After this bit of arithmetic, Blahous finds that health expenditures would be lower for every year during the first decade of implementation. The net change across the whole ten-year period is a savings of $2.054 trillion.

When talking about Medicare for All, it is important to distinguish between two concepts: national health expenditures and federal health expenditures. National health expenditures refer to all health spending from any source whether made by private employers, state Medicaid programs, or the federal government. It is national health expenditures that, according to the report, will decline by $2.054 trillion.

Federal health expenditures refer to health spending from the federal government in particular. Since the federal government takes on nearly all health spending under Medicare for All, federal health expenditures will necessarily go up a lot, $32.6 trillion over the ten-year period according to Blahous. But this is more of an accounting thing than anything else: rather than paying premiums, deductibles, and co-pays for health care, people will instead pay a tax that is, on average, a bit less than they currently pay into the health care system and, for those on lower incomes, a lot less.

At first glance, it is strange that the Mercatus Center, which is libertarian in its orientation and heavily funded by the libertarian Koch family, would publish a report this positive about Medicare for All. The claim that “even the Koch organizations say it will save money while covering everyone” provides a useful bit of rhetoric for proponents of the policy.

But the real game here for Mercatus is to bury the money-saving finding in the report’s tables while headlining the incomprehensibly large $32.6 trillion number in order to trick dim reporters into splashing that number everywhere and freaking out. This is a strategy that already appears to be working, as the Associated Press headline reads: “Study: ‘Medicare for all’ projected to cost $32.6 trillion.”

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:38 pm

Special offer for 42! Act now, do not read the fine print!

During his presidential campaign, then-candidate Donald Trump promised to replace Obamacare with “something terrific.”

For a long time, that “something terrific” was left unspecified. Now, more than a year and a half into Trump’s presidency, we have finally learned his grand plan for reducing Americans’ health-care costs.

It is: Don’t get sick. Ever.
There’s a reason Trump wants short-term plans to last such a long time. That way, they’ll look like an attractive alternative to insurance for sale on the Obamacare exchanges, with one key difference: Unlike Obamacare plans, short-term insurance doesn’t actually have to insure anything.
Short-term plans can turn away people with preexisting conditions, including asthma and acne. They can charge older or sicker people prohibitively expensive premiums.

Or they can enroll such people at what looks like a bargain-basement price and then refuse to pay for any care related to preexisting illnesses — including illnesses that enrollees didn’t even know they had when they enrolled, such as cancer or heart disease. Some plans have dropped consumers as soon as they got an expensive diagnosis, sticking them with hundreds of thousands of dollars in unexpected medical bills.
Even care listed as “covered” is often subject to ridiculously low or otherwise absurd payout limits. Think: a policy term maximum of $3,000. Or no coverage for any hospital stay that begins on a weekend.

The tiny print can be endless. And as former head of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Andy Slavitt points out, consumers will never, ever be as good at reading the fine print as insurance companies will be at writing it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... b520989b49
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:02 pm

Once Its Greatest Foes, Doctors Are Embracing Single-Payer

When the American Medical Association — one of the nation’s most powerful health care groups — met in Chicago this June, its medical student caucus seized an opportunity for change.

Though they had tried for years to advance a resolution calling on the organization to drop its decades-long opposition to single-payer health care, this was the first time it got a full hearing. The debate grew heated — older physicians warned their pay would decrease, calling younger advocates naïve to single-payer’s consequences. But this time, by the meeting’s end, the AMA’s older members had agreed to at least study the possibility of changing its stance.

“We believe health care is a human right, maybe more so than past generations,” said Dr. Brad Zehr, a 29-year-old pathology resident at Ohio State University, who was part of the debate. “There’s a generational shift happening, where we see universal health care as a requirement.”

The ins and outs of the AMA’s policymaking may sound like inside baseball. But this year’s youth uprising at the nexus of the medical establishment speaks to a cultural shift in the medical profession, and one with big political implications.

Amid Republican attacks on the Affordable Care Act, an increasing number of Democrats — ranging from candidates to established Congress members — are putting forth proposals that would vastly increase the government’s role in running the health system. These include single-payer, Medicare-for-all or an option for anyone to buy in to the Medicare program. At least 70 House Democrats have signed on to the new “Medicare-for-all” caucus.

Organized medicine, and previous generations of doctors, had for the most part staunchly opposed to any such plan. The AMA has thwarted public health insurance proposals since the 1930s and long been considered one of the policy’s most powerful opponents.
https://khn.org/news/once-its-greatest- ... gle-payer/

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:44 am

Republicans not listening and Trump is useless for healthcare, but

70% of Americans now support Medicare-for-all (cnbc.com)
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/28/most-am ... ition.html

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:07 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:12 pm
But the real game here for Mercatus is to bury the money-saving finding in the report’s tables while headlining the incomprehensibly large $32.6 trillion number in order to trick dim reporters into splashing that number everywhere and freaking out. This is a strategy that already appears to be working, as the Associated Press headline reads: “Study: ‘Medicare for all’ projected to cost $32.6 trillion.”
[/quote]
So there are 326 million Americans, this means $100 000 per person.

How in any universe can this make any sense? How many nose jobs do you actually need?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:12 pm

That number is for a ten year period. Using your numbers that's $10,000 per year; still high (compared to the NHS at approximately $6,800) but not completely absurd.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 pm

Take that, rainbow! Knockdown!!

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:28 pm

OK so it's only 3.26 trillion a year. This years total Federal budget is (so far) 4.1 trillion. Total revenues are estimated at 3.65 trillion. Looks like we need to increase taxation by just under 100% in order to keep the deficit at it's current, already crippling and unsustainable levels. Wonder if 70% agree with that? Oh hang on, I forgot about The Rich. They're going to pay for it. Never mind.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:38 pm

I haven't read whatever the report on this is, but you will get significant savings flowing on from universal health care.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:47 pm

I haven't read the report, but I did see an article that said the study found shifting the cost from premiums, deductibles, and copay's to taxes would save $2 trillion over the first 10 years.

That's not chump change, but I can't see Congress raising taxes that much. It's political suicide.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake