The US Healthcare Mass Debate

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Trumpcare

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:42 pm

laklak wrote:It's only white men who are dying younger. This is as it should be. White men need to die earlier to make up for all those years of privilege.
White men have traditionally been privileged to die earlier. It's the women who have been most effected by early male deaths, since they have to do the mourning, and they have to console the children, and they have to do a disproportionate share of funeral arrangements.

Headline: Men die earlier; women most effected.

Film at 11.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Tero wrote:Obamacare survives, limping along past 2018
Lesson No. 3: Obamacare is still vulnerable.

Republicans have conceded that the ACA will be the law of the land for the “foreseeable future.” Republicans may also face political risks if they actively seek to “explode” the individual insurance market, as Trump has promised. Republicans hope that they can blame Democrats for future problems with the ACA, but this remains to be seen.

Republicans can, however, do much to undermine the ACA, especially its health insurance exchanges, whose stability in some states is precarious. For example, the administration could use its executive authority to weaken enforcement of the individual mandate or simply pull ads to encourage people to sign up for coverage. Moreover, any such action may be harder for voters to perceive, thereby creating space for Republicans to weaken Obamacare without a clear political price.

In short, the ACA evaded repeal, but its fortunes during the Trump administration remain uncertain. How far are Republicans willing to go to undermine the ACA through administrative and legal actions? Will the ACA’s insurance exchanges stabilize or unravel in some states? Will the GOP again try to cut Medicaid to help offset tax cuts and infrastructure spending?

We don’t know the answers to those questions. What we can say is that the health care debate is not over. More conflict over the government’s role in health care lies ahead.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mon ... b7068703d8
That's so great! I'm looking forward to paying $2,000 a month for health insurance in a couple of years. Soooo affordable!
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:50 pm

JimC wrote:Life expectancy in the US has started to drop. The ability of the wealthiest nation on Earth to care for the health of its own citizens is falling away.

Empires decline and fall, I guess...
How can that be now? Obamacare passed in 2010.... didn't that fix things somewhat?

I look back to inauguration day, 2009...

That was the moment....wasn't it? So inspiring... we started caring for the sick back in 2009.... amazing.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Simple.

You need a system of universal health care, as practiced (in a variety of forms) by the civilised world.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:12 am

Forty Two wrote:
JimC wrote:Life expectancy in the US has started to drop. The ability of the wealthiest nation on Earth to care for the health of its own citizens is falling away.

Empires decline and fall, I guess...
How can that be now? Obamacare passed in 2010.... didn't that fix things somewhat?

I look back to inauguration day, 2009...

That was the moment....wasn't it? So inspiring... we started caring for the sick back in 2009.... amazing.

I can't speak for Jim, but no one I know on the left outside of America thought that Obamacare was anything other than a sell-out to the insurance industry.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:31 am

Obama was hamstrung by the repubs in congress and senate, and by the huge resistance to anything smacking of a national health scheme, no matter how rational or how many good working examples there are in the rest of the world.

Marxism by stealth!
And my gin!

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:14 pm

JimC wrote:Simple.

You need a system of universal health care, as practiced (in a variety of forms) by the civilised world.
Perhaps, but there are downsides, as the comparison of the medical-related innovation and research done in the United States, as compared to the "civilized nations" is rather an interesting one, with the United States far and away presenting about 40% of the worlds research and innovation in this area.

I sense we will have to go down the route of a single payer universal health care. Although, i think that there should be a way to simply expand Medicaid to cover more than are covered now, in the way of a welfare state, and leave a free people to otherwise determine what they want to do. Can't we agree on a floor below which people won't sink, and then provide Medicare for the elderly? But, I think the answer is no, and we'll just have to nationalize it, and have done with it. I see no other alternative at this point.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 pm

pErvin wrote: I can't speak for Jim, but no one I know on the left outside of America thought that Obamacare was anything other than a sell-out to the insurance industry.
Yes, well, then I assume you are in 100% favor of the people who would repeal it. Me too. Let's get rid of this sell-out to the insurance industry. Fuck the insurance industry!

Let's replace it with something that is not a sell-out.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:17 pm

JimC wrote:Obama was hamstrung by the repubs in congress and senate, and by the huge resistance to anything smacking of a national health scheme, no matter how rational or how many good working examples there are in the rest of the world.

Marxism by stealth!
Uhhh....nonsense.... in his first 2 years, he had a Democratic House and a Democratic Senate. He had the power Trump now has. The GOP could stop neither jack, nor squat, until about 2011. The problem Obama had was with some Democrats who also thought the ACA law was a piece of shit.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:29 pm

Now, this is a bill I can support 100% -- http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index ... to_re.html

The Obamacare Repeal Act of 2017: "Effective as of Dec. 31, 2017, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted,"

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:48 am

Forty Two wrote:
pErvin wrote: I can't speak for Jim, but no one I know on the left outside of America thought that Obamacare was anything other than a sell-out to the insurance industry.
Yes, well, then I assume you are in 100% favor of the people who would repeal it. Me too. Let's get rid of this sell-out to the insurance industry. Fuck the insurance industry!

Let's replace it with something that is not a sell-out.
yeah it's your last sentence that will prove to be the problem. And it's a problem that will never be solved by Republicans, going by the insane nutjobs who seem to have the party by the balls for the last couple of decades.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:56 am

Universal health care for all, with private health insurance available for people who want a private hospital room with sexy nurses and champagne...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:01 am

and a TV. When I was in hospital last year for kidney stones I had to ring someone and pay money to get my tv turned on :lay:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:06 am

If you had a sexy nurse she could turn you on as well! :{D
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:11 am

:lol: