The Ethics of Punching Nazis

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The Ethics of Punching Nazis

Post by JimC » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:52 am

Yo momma was probably quite a nice woman to whom you were a dreadful disappointment...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:28 pm

Why do communists only drink herbal tea?
Trigger Warning!!!1! :
Because proper tea is theft.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:24 pm

:lol:

That's a keeper.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:25 pm

pErvin wrote:Look what you've done, Brian.. :nono:
Sorry. My bad.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Hermit wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:Theresa May is a liberal posing as a conservative
:funny:
You remind me of another forum member. The one who decribed Obama as a crypto-Marxist.
Nah, Obama is a muslim.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:24 am

And he invented Al Qaeda eh?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:40 am

The white nationalist element of Il Douche's legions was out in force in Berkeley, California this past Saturday. They appear to have done all right for themselves.

"The Violent Clashes In Berkeley Weren't 'Pro-Trump' Versus 'Anti-Trump'"
Acccording to reports in mainstream news outlets like CNN, the Los Angeles Times and the Washington Post, Saturday saw pro-Trump demonstrators clash with anti-Trump protesters in Berkeley, California, while more placid "Tax Day" marches took place around the country calling on the president to release his tax returns. The news stories offer largely the same account and framing as that given by the LA Times: "hundreds of pro-Trump demonstrators and counter-protesters clashed Saturday at a 'Patriots Day' rally… Both groups threw rocks and sticks at each other and used a large trash bin as a battering ram… Twenty-one people were arrested… Eleven people were injured."

All of this did happen. But such accounts missed the most crucial aspects of what was at stake in the Berkeley clashes, and thus fail to explain why there were aggressive altercations at all. To frame Saturday's events as a fight between supporters of the president and his denouncers roundly misses the key tensions undergirding the confrontation: that of anti-fascists versus white nationalists.

. . .

Media reports relying on the "pro-Trump versus anti-Trump" framing missed some glaring and more subtle cues about the nature of Saturday's protests. Multiple demonstrators, some of whom donned Make America Great Again hats, performed Nazi salutes in full public view.

. . .

"The far right is holding it down in Berkeley right now," tweeted Mother Jones reporter Shane Bauer, who was at the scene, posting an image of demonstrators swaddled in Trumpist, patriotic and explicitly far right symbolism. "Hail Victory!" tweeted neo-Nazi Richard Spencer in response.

Bauer also noted that a number of Trump supporters expressed discomfort at their co-protesters' racist and anti-semitic views and demonstrations. But it was not for these more moderate Trump supporters that the anti-fascist and anarchist groups came. As was the case in two previous instances in Berkeley since Trump's inauguration, anti-fascists were responding specifically to the presence of white nationalists and neo-Nazis.

. . .

It's Going Down, a relied-upon source for anti-fascists around the country, warned that the event—which was not the first and will not be the last iteration of such tensions—would be a "crucible for a new fascist movement" hidden in the "smokescreen" of a diverse Trump support base. The issue is not whether the rally crowd also drew Trump supporters of color, or many Trump fans who claim to despise white nationalism. A media narrative that overlooks significant white supremacist presence de facto demonizes the counter-protesters who came to confront it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:35 pm

:tea:

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 pm

To be fair, you could also argue that at various demonstrations over the years (e.g. anti-globalisation), a hard-core, violent group of leftists has used the camouflage of left-liberal protest marches to do stuff like trashing stores etc. The left is not above reproach in this area.
In Oz, when we have neo-Nazi/left clashes, it is abundantly clear that many on both sides are simply there for the buzz of street violence.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:59 pm

JimC wrote:To be fair, you could also argue that at various demonstrations over the years (e.g. anti-globalisation), a hard-core, violent group of leftists has used the camouflage of left-liberal protest marches to do stuff like trashing stores etc. The left is not above reproach in this area.
In Oz, when we have neo-Nazi/left clashes, it is abundantly clear that many on both sides are simply there for the buzz of street violence.
Agreed. There is no thread here on "The Ethics of Punching Black Bloc" though. :sadcheer:

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:41 am

Well, the reason there is no thread here on "The Ethics of Punching Black Bloc" though is because you did not create one, right? Is there an impediment to you creating one?

The reason I created the Ethics of Punching Nazis thread is because there is a movement today that argues in favor of punching people who are thought to be Nazis, even if they deny being same, and punching those who are deemed right wing and thus carrying water for or tacitly supporting Nazis. Nobody, as far as I've heard, has argued that peaceful leftist, black bloc, anarchist, or communist, or whatever, left-wing group, should be punched for their views.

I don't know anybody who would say - "if a black bloc member is talking to a reporter, fuck yeah, it's a moral imperative that he be punched due to the danger such a person poses to society..." I have, however, heard that very argument, many times, from left wingers directed toward those they think are members of the far right.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:19 am

Black Bloc aren't peaceful.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:19 pm

However, being a member of or sympathizer with the Black Bloc doesn't make one punchworthy, and also being generally "not peaceful" does not make one an outlaw, subject to punching by anyone who finds you.

If a Black Bloc member just got done beating up someone, a minute ago, and is now talking to a reporter, that does not give others carte blanche to mete out private justice by punching him. So, it doesn't matter if "Black Bloc" are or aren't peaceful. It matters if at the time of the punch, the punch was justified by self-defense.

A person who leaps toward an alleged white supremacist and punches him out of the blue is also "not peaceful." That does not, however, give license to others to chase the assailant down and beat him up.

The fact that this is a debate in public discourse where people are seriously siding with the "of course it's moral to punch a nazi - it's even a moral imperative" side of the motion is why we have a thread like this, and not one that talks about the ethics of punching Commies or Black Bloc-ies.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 pm

I'd explain why it matters that you talked about "peaceful" groups, but it would be pointless. Continue your monologue, sir!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:26 pm

I didn't talk about "peaceful" groups. I said it doesn't matter if a group is or is not "peaceful" as a group. It doesn't even matter if the individual punched is or is not generally a peaceful person. He or she could be quite supportive of violence, and it doesn't mean that it's moral to punch that person at a time when there is no self-defense or defense-of-others justification to do so. You don't get to just punch people because you think they're bad or "not peaceful."