Democrats...let's move on

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Re: Democrats...let's move on

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:39 pm

pErvin wrote:How old is [Jeff Merkley]? It would be good to be able to support someone who's not on death's door.
He'll be 61 next month. A real youngster compared to Sanders, for instance.
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:40 pm

A spring chicken!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Post Trump era will start with grass roots movement and seats in state elections
Democrats lost 1,000 state legislative seats since 2008 -- and we're taking them back with bold progressives like Schuyler VanValkenburg who are running to win Republican-held districts that Donald Trump lost.

MOTHER JONES: If you want a sneak preview of how the 2018 election is shaping up for Democrats, you should pay attention to people like Schuyler VanValkenburg. The 32-year-old VanValkenburg is a high school civics teacher at a public school in Henrico County, Virginia. [...] "People just assumed that it was a Republican area because for so long Republicans were winning and that becomes kind of a vicious circle," he says. "It becomes one of those things where because Democrats never run, Democrats never run. One of the big reasons I got in was because I think Democrats can win here but more importantly Democrats need to organize here."
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:18 pm

You're stronger than me Tero. Trump becoming president was it for me. It just confirmed what I'd always suspected. It's all bullshit, top to fucking bottom bullshit.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 pm

I just moved here to this town 2015 so local things are a bit interesting. State senator candidate, Dem, came to the door. He was for returnning the death penalty. A ridiculous expense for a smallish state. And his GOP opponent was for the same. Plus less taxes. Her successful campaign: he’s a lobbyist! Lawyer! I’m a business owner!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Trump is only firm with executive orders. With congress, he and GOP lack leadership. Only one or two Democrats can pull together votes to pass anything:
The Democratic Party is in a rolling existential crisis, with no real power in Washington, the prospect of very rough midterm elections despite the president’s unpopularity and a massive, discombobulated 2020 presidential field that’s like an Egon Schiele portrait of the left’s divisions and lack of leadership. Yet the one veteran with a proven track record of wins in Congress and in campaigns is the one they’re always talking about dumping. Junior House Democrats—who make up many of the rebels in the caucus—joke that the only downside of possibly winning the majority next year is that Pelosi, who is 77, would almost certainly stick around, and have a pretty solid case for being speaker again.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... 017-215759

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:48 am

Foxnews does not sweep it under rug
The Democratic candidates swept to victory in Tuesday's gubernatorial races, with Fox News projecting Ralph Northam will beat Ed Gillespie in Virginia and Phil Murphy will beat Kim Guadagno in New Jersey.

The victories -- especially the win in Virginia -- are a shot in the arm to the beleaguered Democratic Party, which has lost four special congressional elections to Republicans since Donald Trump was elected president a year ago. Northam won with the support of federal government employees and non-white voters, according to the Fox News Voter Analysis.

With 58 percent of precincts reporting, Northam led Gillespie 51 percent to 48 percent.
State senate and house seats to watch
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/electi ... ms-n817931

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:10 pm

Miller said: Centrist democrats humiliated themselves in 2016. Y'all need to develop a little humility, and stop sneering at the people who pointed out you were fucking this thing up over a year ago.

He said: It's not centrists who lost, it's Hillary and the clueless who voted for her in the primary who humiliated themselves. Any other centrist who have wiped the floor with Trump. Hillary was uniquely the worst possible candidate to put on the ballot.

I said: I don't think the centrist of leftist label had much to do with it. Voters of both parties now want an outsider to go to DC and "fix things" in DC. The belief is that once you are there a few years, you have been bought and paid for by industry lobbyists.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Hillary had more balls than most of these candidates. Though, really, she should have gone after groper-in-chief via Twitter.
But no stand out newbies:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/politics/ ... index.html

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:53 am

A Facebook discussion post..not me
I am done with the goody two shoes fake Democrats. We eat our own over little things but Republicans just thumb their noses. Then voters elect these idiots while Democrats cry on the sideline saying We have morals vote for us. Franken was wrong for the real things he did and apologized for them. Not all were true. A plot by republicans to get him cause he was tough on them. Too many crappy Democrats didn’t have his back. I’m going to become an independent as Democrats make me sick right now and don’t deserve my vote!

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 am

Some cautious optimism in my blog. It's the most boring of the 4 blog entries. I could easily expand it to an undegrad paper
http://esapolitics.blogspot.com/2017/12 ... enate.html

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm

Tero wrote:A Facebook discussion post..not me
I am done with the goody two shoes fake Democrats. We eat our own over little things but Republicans just thumb their noses. Then voters elect these idiots while Democrats cry on the sideline saying We have morals vote for us. Franken was wrong for the real things he did and apologized for them. Not all were true. A plot by republicans to get him cause he was tough on them. Too many crappy Democrats didn’t have his back. I’m going to become an independent as Democrats make me sick right now and don’t deserve my vote!
'A plot by republicans,' eh? As far as I'm aware, there's no evidence supporting that assertion. That Facebook denizen is essentially mirroring the paranoid rantings of right-wing clowns like Cernovich and Jones, and I think his repudiation of the Democratic party is self-defeating. He can go ahead and start voting for fringe parties, but that isn't going to do a damn thing to improve the Democratic party.

Still, it does seem likely that there will be negligible benefit from Democratic politicians taking the moral high ground re Franken when it comes to electoral politics. Whether that was the motive is questionable, but there certainly was a political calculation involved. If Minnesota had a Republican governor who would appoint a Republican to replace Franken, it seems highly unlikely that those Democratic senators would have bayed so loudly for Franken's resignation, as noted in the opinion piece below.

'Here’s Why Democrats Forced Al Franken to Do the Right Thing—And Why They May Come to Regret It'
So Al Franken is out. It was the right thing for him to do. I guess. What he did was wrong. It wasn’t asking-a-14-year-old-girl-to-take-her-clothes-off wrong, but it was wrong.

He didn’t quite admit he’d done anything wrong, though, in the Senate floor speech at noon Thursday when he announced his resignation. The stories of the last three weeks, he said, “gave people the false impression that I was admitting to doing things I had not in fact done. Some I did not do. Others I remember very differently.”

Franken then noted the “irony” of the fact that “a man who has bragged on tape about his history of sexual assault sits in the Oval Office” and that another man accused of child molesting is running for the same Senate “with the full support of his party.” But even so, he said, he was going.

Yes, he had to at this point. Still, two thoughts nag at me. First, there’s some opportunism at work here. And second, if the Democrats think that taking the high ground on this one is going to score them any points, my bet is they’re sadly mistaken.

Al probably could have survived this if it had happened a year ago—that is, not in the post-Weinstein climate. That he did not in this new climate is a manifestly positive thing for society.

A part of me does wonder, though, what exactly would have been wrong in this case with letting the ethics process play out, seeing what the committee found, and determining his fate then? Liberals are supposed to love and respect process, which they sometimes do to a fault. So why short-circuit it here?

This is where I see some opportunism at work, in two ways. First, let’s cut to the chase: Do you think we’d have heard all these calls for his resignation from his Democratic colleagues if Minnesota had a Republican governor? No way. Maybe a couple senators would, but as a group they wouldn’t be nearly so cavalier about dumping him if they knew a Republican was going to replace him. And that’s fine; that’s politics. Newsflash: Politics is political. But it does make me take these high-moral-ground statements of his colleagues with a few grains of salt.

Now Gov. Mark Dayton is throwing a wrench in the works by evidently appointing a caretaker on the condition she not seek to keep the seat, which opens the seat up to the real possibility of Republican capture in 2018 (maybe by Norm Coleman, the Republican Franken defeated in 2008). I wonder how many Senate Democrats calling for Franken’s head would have thought twice if they’d known Dayton was going to pull that boneheaded move, instead of appointing a younger star like state Attorney General Lori Swanson who could build a real Senate career.

Second, obviously, the Democrats are hoping to present to America a contrast between them and the Republicans. And that contrast is real. But it, too, is not really about morality. It’s because rank-and-file Democrats take sexually inappropriate behavior a lot more seriously than rank-and-file Republicans do. This week, Quinnipiac polled about 1,700 people and asked them whether an elected official accused (and only accused) of sexual harassment or assault “by multiple people” should resign. Among Democrats it was 77 percent yes to 14 percent no. Among Republicans it was 51-37.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:46 pm

I did not agree with him either. But to the undecided voter, pulling Franken out only shows weakness. They do not give a shit about women or Franken or much anything. The undecided voters are always undecided based on what's in it for me? The feminists and greens and other people behind causes of the left are solid Democrat. Just as nearly all gun owners are solid Republican.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:30 am

We had RINOs already, but what do we call fake Democrats?
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ion-299572

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:17 am

Tero wrote:We had RINOs already, but what do we call fake Democrats?
https://www.politico.com/story/2017/12/ ... ion-299572
DINOs, surely. ;)