Enjoy President Trump, Courtesy of The Kremlin

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Enjoy President Trump, Courtesy of The Kremlin

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Bannon has reportedly been summoned by Mueller to go before the grand jury. Check your favourite news outlet for details.
Good! Any idea what for?
To answer question pertaining to the investigation perhaps?
And, Bannon will, I'm sure, know that Trump colluded with the Russian government in some illegal way?

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:26 pm

So, no luck finding a source corroborating your assertion that Bannon 'publicly said that he did not say what Wolfe reported in the book,' Forty Two?

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:29 pm

Meanwhile, outside the Trump sycophant bubble:

'FBI investigating whether Russian money went to NRA to help Trump'
The FBI is investigating whether a top Russian banker with ties to the Kremlin illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to help Donald Trump win the presidency, two sources familiar with the matter have told McClatchy.

FBI counterintelligence investigators have focused on the activities of Alexander Torshin, the deputy governor of Russia’s central bank who is known for his close relationships with both Russian President Vladimir Putin and the NRA, the sources said.

It is illegal to use foreign money to influence federal elections.

It’s unclear how long the Torshin inquiry has been ongoing, but the news comes as Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s sweeping investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 election, including whether the Kremlin colluded with Trump’s campaign, has been heating up.

All of the sources spoke on condition of anonymity because Mueller’s investigation is confidential and mostly involves classified information.

A spokesman for Mueller’s office declined comment.

Disclosure of the Torshin investigation signals a new dimension in the 18-month-old FBI probe of Russia’s interference. McClatchy reported a year ago that a multi-agency U.S. law enforcement and counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s intervention, begun even before the start of the 2016 general election campaign, initially included a focus on whether the Kremlin secretly helped fund efforts to boost Trump, but little has been said about that possibility in recent months.

The extent to which the FBI has evidence of money flowing from Torshin to the NRA, or of the NRA’s participation in the transfer of funds, could not be learned.

However, the NRA reported spending a record $55 million on the 2016 elections, including $30 million to support Trump – triple what the group devoted to backing Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. Most of that was money was spent by an arm of the NRA that is not required to disclose its donors.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Bannon has reportedly been summoned by Mueller to go before the grand jury. Check your favourite news outlet for details.
Good! Any idea what for?
And, Bannon will, I'm sure, know that Trump colluded with the Russian government in some illegal way?
Isn't this what inquiries and investigations are for? You seem somewhat overly invested in resolving this matter ahead of those proceedings, and particularly in affirming the judgement you've already made which, essentially, seek to dismiss ahead of time certain possible conclusions to those proceedings. Why do you think that is?

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:... This is a new phrase - "utilise or rely on it [Russia] as a political resource." What might Trump have done that would fall within that blurb, and also be illegal or unethical or immoral?
I think you'll find that this is currently being investigated by multiple authorities, but I presume from your wiggle that you see nothing untoward about another country offering material support to any domestic US presidential campaign, or in a campaign accepting such support?
:tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:So, no luck finding a source corroborating your assertion that Bannon 'publicly said that he did not say what Wolfe reported in the book,' Forty Two?
Yes, it was in the article I quoted from. That article says he "changed his story publicly" when he was disputing what Wolfe said in the book.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:So, no luck finding a source corroborating your assertion that Bannon 'publicly said that he did not say what Wolfe reported in the book,' Forty Two?
Yes, it was in the article I quoted from. That article says he "changed his story publicly" when he was disputing what Wolfe said in the book.
In the story Tero quoted he didn't deny that he said what Wolfe quoted him as saying. What he did do is describe his own comment as 'hyperbole.' Regarding that same comment he has said that it wasn't aimed at Trump Jr. When CNN says that Bannon 'changed his story' they link to another story about the statement that Bannon released regarding that comment. That story in turn links to yet another with the actual text of Bannon's statement, quoted in full below.
Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man. He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around.

My support is also unwavering for the president and his agenda — as I have shown daily in my national radio broadcasts, on the pages of Breitbart News and in speeches and appearances from Tokyo and Hong Kong to Arizona and Alabama. President Trump was the only candidate that could have taken on and defeated the Clinton apparatus. I am the only person to date to conduct a global effort to preach the message of Trump and Trumpism; and remain ready to stand in the breech for this president's efforts to make America great again.

My comments about the meeting with Russian nationals came from my life experiences as a Naval officer stationed aboard a destroyer whose main mission was to hunt Soviet submarines to my time at the Pentagon during the Reagan years when our focus was the defeat of 'the evil empire' and to making films about Reagan's war against the Soviets and Hillary Clinton's involvement in selling uranium to them.

My comments were aimed at Paul Manafort, a seasoned campaign professional with experience and knowledge of how the Russians operate. He should have known they are duplicitous, cunning and not our friends. To reiterate, those comments were not aimed at Don Jr.

Everything I have to say about the ridiculous nature of the Russian 'collusion' investigation I said on my 60 Minutes interview. There was no collusion and the investigation is a witch hunt.

I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president's historical accomplishments in the first year of his presidency.
Note that Bannon does not claim that he was misquoted, and nowhere that I'm aware of has he denied that he made the comment. You seem to believe that he said that he was misquoted in Wolfe's book, and I was curious where you got that idea. I'm still curious.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:38 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:Meanwhile, outside the Trump sycophant bubble:

The FBI is investigating whether a top Russian banker with ties to the Kremlin illegally funneled money to the National Rifle Association to help Donald Trump win the presidency, two sources familiar with the matter have told McClatchy.

FBI counterintelligence investigators have focused on the activities of Alexander Torshin, the deputy governor of Russia’s central bank who is known for his close relationships with both Russian President Vladimir Putin and the NRA, the sources said.

It’s unclear how long the Torshin inquiry has been ongoing, but the news comes as Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s sweeping investigation of Russian meddling in the 2016 election, including whether the Kremlin colluded with Trump’s campaign, has been heating up.

All of the sources spoke on condition of anonymity because Mueller’s investigation is confidential and mostly involves classified information.

Disclosure of the Torshin investigation signals a new dimension in the 18-month-old FBI probe of Russia’s interference. McClatchy reported a year ago that a multi-agency U.S. law enforcement and counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s intervention, begun even before the start of the 2016 general election campaign, initially included a focus on whether the Kremlin secretly helped fund efforts to boost Trump, but little has been said about that possibility in recent months.

The extent to which the FBI has evidence of money flowing from Torshin to the NRA, or of the NRA’s participation in the transfer of funds, could not be learned.

However, the NRA reported spending a record $55 million on the 2016 elections, including $30 million to support Trump – triple what the group devoted to backing Republican Mitt Romney in the 2012 presidential race. Most of that was money was spent by an arm of the NRA that is not required to disclose its donors.
Investigate away.

However, note, that Russian donation to the NRA, by itself, is not a violation of the law. The law prohibits donations to a campaign or a candidate. It's not a candidate's responsibility if Joe Blow gives $1,000,000 to PETA and PETA uses that money to publish information in support of candidates it likes.

Assuming the alleged donations to the NRA were made, and that's an allegation at this point, but let's assume it was made. At a bare minimum, to hold Trump responsible, there would have to be some connection made with the Trump campaign. Did Trump or his campaign know about it? Did they participate in it? Solicit it? Receive a benefit? Was any money transferred to the Trump campaign?

Surely, you see that it cannot be a crime on the part of a candidate for a Foreign national to donate money to a cause in the US, and then have that cause publish supporting advertisements and publications and such in support of that candidate. It's not illegal, for example, for Brits, or Frogs or Russkies to donate to the NRA. That's not unlawful. And ,it's not unlawful for the NRA to use that money. So, unless Trump is somehow part of this arrangement, knowingly soliciting - wink wink, donate to the NRA so they can be used as part of my campaign - how is it his fault?

Now, they can investigate to their hearts content, and if Trump did violate the election laws, then he needs to pay the price, and possibly be impeached. https://www.fec.gov/updates/foreign-nationals/

But to say "it's illegal to use foreign money to influence an election" is not an accurate statement of the law. Moreover, even if it was, it would have to be TRUMP or his campaign using the foreign money to influence the election or conspiring to do so with the entity that's using it.

Here is the contributions and donations by foreign nationals - https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... c30121.htm

You want to see one of the better examples of this sort of thing, check out the 1996 Chinese donations scandal, involving, yes, you guessed it, the Clintons. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Unit ... ontroversy and https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-was- ... 1488585526
Perhaps Americans still resist coming to terms with the defining characteristic of the Trump presidency, its largely accidental nature. Accidental also likely defines any connection between the Trump campaign and Russia.
Democrats have colluded with Chinese donors -- even at the home of Hillary Clinton -- http://time.com/4348675/terry-mcauliffe ... stigation/

This is not "yebut" -- it's an illustration that these kind of contacts are all over the place, and that they aren't necessarily illegal or even improper. Just saying "the Russian guy donated to the NRA who we think used the money to help trump get elected" doesn't tell us much.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:52 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Good! Any idea what for?
Isn't this what inquiries and investigations are for? You seem somewhat overly invested in resolving this matter ahead of those proceedings, and particularly in affirming the judgement you've already made which, essentially, seek to dismiss ahead of time certain possible conclusions to those proceedings. Why do you think that is?
Well, because of a lack of probable cause. Yes, investigations are to investigate, but you seem somewhat quick to consider any investigation of any allegation concerning Trump to be justified because, well, they're just investigating. But, when I raise issues like Uranium One, the Clinton Foundation donation issues, or the alleged collusion between the Clinton camp and FusionGPS (foreign nationals), you generally haven't suggested investigations are appropriate. Why do you think that is?

But, anyway, my question was posed to ask what Bannon would be talking about. And, it seems to me very unlikely that he would have anything to say that would suggest any sort of crime on the part of Trump. But, as you noted, there is, in fact, an investigation, so go right on ahead and question Bannon, I say. He's probably more at risk for himself than he is a risk to Trump. Although, I can't for the life of me see what he's going to say that's anything more than gossip.

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:... This is a new phrase - "utilise or rely on it [Russia] as a political resource." What might Trump have done that would fall within that blurb, and also be illegal or unethical or immoral?
I think you'll find that this is currently being investigated by multiple authorities, but I presume from your wiggle that you see nothing untoward about another country offering material support to any domestic US presidential campaign, or in a campaign accepting such support?
Oh, I can see potential legal issues with "another country offering material support to any domestic US presidential campaign, or campaign accepting such support," but nobody has said that any country offered material support to the Trump campaign or that the campaign accepted that support. If you're referring to someone offering to give "dirt" on another candidate, well, I don't think that's ever been held to be a problem. Was it illegal for FusionGPS or that guy Steele to provide dirt on Trump to his opponents?

Your use of the term "material support" makes the analysis more difficult, than if it was payment of money or donations. But, I see where you are going with it. Is it material support if the Prime Minister of Canada called up Hillary Clinton and said, "hey, I have this information on Trump that shows he's lying about X, cheating the government on contracts in his companies, and discriminating against black people in hiring - it's rock solid, accurate information?" Would that be a crime? What if a Canadian national, a big businessman, did the same thing? What if it was a former Crown Prosecutor from Ottawa who came across the border, had a meeting with Hillary Clinton, and offered dirt on Trump?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote: ... Isn't this what inquiries and investigations are for? You seem somewhat overly invested in resolving this matter ahead of those proceedings, and particularly in affirming the judgement you've already made which, essentially, seek to dismiss ahead of time certain possible conclusions to those proceedings. Why do you think that is?
Well, because of a lack of probable cause. Yes, investigations are to investigate, but you seem somewhat quick to consider any investigation of any allegation concerning Trump to be justified because, well, they're just investigating....
I think the allegations are serious and need investigating. As I've said on a number of occasions the allegations strike at the heart of the US's democratic security and that this is, or at least in my view should be, of serious concern to all US citizens in light of what we already know about Russia's activities and intent.
... But, when I raise issues like Uranium One, the Clinton Foundation donation issues, or the alleged collusion between the Clinton camp and FusionGPS (foreign nationals), you generally haven't suggested investigations are appropriate. Why do you think that is?
Quote me saying I don't think investigations into those things are appropriate.

What I have done is countered the view that the Steele dossier was fabricated at the behest of the DNC, which has been the entirety of the content of the spin coming from the US right. I've also dismissed claims that the Russians infiltrated US national security to corner the uranium market and that Hillary Clinton is personally responsible for giving away 20% of the US's uranium assets to the Russians -- according to some in exchange for donations to the Clinton Foundation -- and/or that the Russians control 20% of the US's domestic uranium production as a consequence of the Uranium One deal as laughable.

Regardless of my personal opinions on those matters, investigations of the sort you say I consider inappropriate are a matter for Congress and the Justice Department - bodies which have declared that the allegations of Russian interference in the 2016 election and the possible collusion between the Russians and the Trump campaign, and/or members of that campaign and/or the Trump administration, are serious enough to warrant further official inquiry. If they decide that Clinton's tenure at the State Department warrants investigation then surely investigations will follow. As things stands you would have us believe that the Republican controlled government's instigation and oversight of the various 'Trump-Russia' investigations, along with a failure to investigate the Uranium One matter, are grossly unfair political conspiracies. But who are the various Republican-controlled government institutions and agencies conspiring with, and to what end I wonder?
But, anyway, my question was posed to ask what Bannon would be talking about. And, it seems to me very unlikely that he would have anything to say that would suggest any sort of crime on the part of Trump. But, as you noted, there is, in fact, an investigation, so go right on ahead and question Bannon, I say. He's probably more at risk for himself than he is a risk to Trump. Although, I can't for the life of me see what he's going to say that's anything more than gossip.
In general I'd tend to agree with your comments, but only up until the part where you couldn't help but dismiss ahead of time anything which Bannon might have to say to investigators. Tell me, in this context what's the difference between Bannon answering investigators' questions regarding what he knows about what has been going on and Bannon merely gossiping? Does it depend on the content of his answers or the context of the questions?
Brian Peacock wrote:
Oh, I can see potential legal issues with "another country offering material support to any domestic US presidential campaign, or campaign accepting such support," but nobody has said that any country offered material support to the Trump campaign or that the campaign accepted that support. [/quote]
You wish :tea:
If you're referring to someone offering to give "dirt" on another candidate, well, I don't think that's ever been held to be a problem. Was it illegal for FusionGPS or that guy Steele to provide dirt on Trump to his opponents?
I see. You would consider a foreign power hacking the IT network of a domestic political organisation and passing that 'dirt' to a rival campaign, the attempted hacking of computerised electoral systems to favour one party over another, and systematic propagandising on behalf of one party over another as 'no problem'. Got it. I also note that you haven't really answered the question, merely recast it and fired it back....
Your use of the term "material support" makes the analysis more difficult, than if it was payment of money or donations. But, I see where you are going with it. Is it material support if the Prime Minister of Canada called up Hillary Clinton and said, "hey, I have this information on Trump that shows he's lying about X, cheating the government on contracts in his companies, and discriminating against black people in hiring - it's rock solid, accurate information?" Would that be a crime? What if a Canadian national, a big businessman, did the same thing? What if it was a former Crown Prosecutor from Ottawa who came across the border, had a meeting with Hillary Clinton, and offered dirt on Trump?
Perhaps that would be material support in this instance -- if such information was private and not in the public domain -- but, as I noted in my original post, the, "But what about the Democrats/Hillary...?" repost is merely a way to avoid the issue at hand by implying that the possible wrong-doing of one party is mitigated, legitimised, or offset by the possible wrong-doing of another - and indeed, it appears to be a pathological response with many on the right of the US political divide.

"Why did you steal those cookies Todd?"
"Well Jimmy steals cookies and gets away with it all the time Moma!"

Do you think US democracy is secure as it stands, or do you think that, given what has come to light about what Russia actually did do (the Trump-Russia thing aside), US democracy is perhaps less secure than it should be or needs to be?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:55 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tero wrote:It’s when the lies outnumber facts that all becomes meaningless. We only can follow what he signs. Those are done deals.

But he sides with the bigger player. Corporations.
That's why when the press posts bullshit, like the article I discussed a couple posts above, we have to discard it. They're obvious propaganda pieces.

Sure, Trump is pro-business. He said that as part of his campaign platform. Good. Businesses hire people. Businesses produce, buy and sell, and that's where our GDP comes from, and that's where revenue comes from,and the more revenue, the more taxes,
Cutting taxes leads to more tax revenue?
Last edited by pErvinalia on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:58 pm

Forty Two wrote:
pErvinalia wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Good! Any idea what for?
Who knows, right? It's probably got absolutely nothing to do with possible collusion between Trump campaign and Russia..
It might. Or, like with Manafort, it could have to do with money laundering activities in the Ukraine in 2014. Or, like Flynn, it would be about putting "pressure" on the administration or on other witnesses to "cooperate" with the investigation. Or, it could be about "possible collusion" lol. After all, there was a meeting between some Russian lawyer and Trump Jr, and a couple other people, where the Russian lawyer reportedly had dirt on Hillary Clinton, but that report turned out to be wrong, and no such dirt was actually obtained. I mean, there's nothing illegal about the meeting ,and there'd be nothing illegal about getting dirt on Hillary Clinton, even from Russians, but hey, it's about "possible collusion."
Even you agreed that collusion was a possibility the other day. Why are you lol'ing? Deflection?
One day, I suspect you'll admit this is a farce. But until that day, let the investigation proceed and yield its fruit.
I just don't see how a professional legal agency, and a couple of bipartisan inquiries could all be part of a "farce". I'm sticking with Occam's Razor until I see evidence showing how this is anything other than a legitimate investigation.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Forty Two wrote:
L'Emmerdeur wrote:Meanwhile, outside the Trump sycophant bubble:

Investigate away.
Why? It's all a political farce, surely? :coffee:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote: Good! Any idea what for?
Well, because of a lack of probable cause. Yes, investigations are to investigate, but you seem somewhat quick to consider any investigation of any allegation concerning Trump to be justified because, well, they're just investigating. But, when I raise issues like Uranium One, the Clinton Foundation donation issues, or the alleged collusion between the Clinton camp and FusionGPS (foreign nationals), you generally haven't suggested investigations are appropriate. Why do you think that is?
Because they weren't working on behalf of a foreign government? :ask:
What's this made up story got to do with whether it is legal for Russia to try and swing the US election in collusion with Trump etc?

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 am

Yey! Sloppy NRA:
Russian intervention in the 2016 campaign has a number of complex threads. But the latest development is simple and old-fashioned. McClatchy reports that the FBI is investigating whether a Kremlin-linked Russian banker funneled money through the National Rifle Association to help elect Donald Trump. American law prohibits foreign campaign donations.

L'Emmerdeur

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:38 am

As far as I know, it isn't being claimed that Trump or the Trump campaign had any involvement in the alleged campaign finance violation involving the NRA and the Kremlin-linked banker. If the allegations are true it's a clear example of illegal Russian involvement in the US election intended to benefit Trump's campaign.