Enjoy President Trump, Courtesy of The Kremlin

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Enjoy President Trump, Courtesy of The Kremlin

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 am

If Corbyn gets his way he'll take the UK back to it's post-WWII glory days - national housing and infrastructure projects, free health and education at the point of delivery, productivity-boosting wage and employment policies, and a raising of the living standards of those at the raggedy end of the income spectrum. He's the only true conservative in British politics at the moment. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:40 am

Oh! You found three links labelling Corbyn as a Marxist, or at least pointing out that he admires Marx. Wonderful, but do you know what a Marxist is? In case you don't let me enlighten you. While all Marxists are communists, not all communists are Marxists. The difference between Marxist and non-Marxist communists is that the former insist, per Marx, on a violent overthrow of the capitalist system because, per Marx again, a peaceful transition to communism is impossible. By contrast, non-Marxist communists believe that the transition to communism is possible through peaceful, parliamentary reforms. None of your links provide as much as a smidgen of evidence that Corbyn secretly or publicly plans or even just advocates a violent, Marxist revolution. Care to furnish one yourself? While you're at it, where are your links containing evidence that Corbyn is an arsehole?

For the record: I admire Marx. He analysed capitalism really well. That does not mean I agree with his view on how to establish a communist society. In fact, I don't even want a communist society. It would be a catastrophe just like all previous attempts turned out to be. I do admit to being an arsehole, though, but that has nothing to do with my social, political or philosophic views. I am an arsehole because I was born that way. The midwife recognised it immediately. When I came into the world she slapped my mother.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:13 am

Forty Two wrote:It’s a good thing the UK has a dearth if Marxist assholes like Corbin, https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... one-labour , https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.expres ... t-hero/amp and https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reute ... EZ20150912

As I said, countries rife with guys like that are shitholes, oppressive and the poor are way worse off. If Corbin gets his way, the brits will suffer. Not intentionally, mind you. Most folks like that think they mean well.
Countries were performing a lot better when we were all proper social democracies lead by the likes of Corbyns. Growth rates were higher, poverty was lower, inequality was less, and people could afford to own their own houses etc.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:50 pm

An interesting report by Russian news site The Bell says that the arrest last year of Sergei Mikhailov (head of the 2nd Directorate of the FSB’s Information Security Center) resulted from his leaking information to the west about the Russian hacking of the DNC and Podesta. The official Russian position says otherwise, but it takes a special sort of gullibility to believe anything Putin's dictatorial regime says. Nor should anybody expect western intelligence agencies to confirm the story, if Mikhailov did say something. None of this means that what The Bell's sources say is accurate but it is intriguing.

'What the Arrest of the Russian Intel top Cyber-Crime Expert Has to Do With American elections'
Sergei Mikhailov was arrested one year ago, on Dec. 5, 2016. Officers of the agency’s internal security division seized him at his office and led him away with a sack over his head. Mikhailov is a black belt in karate and the officers feared that he might resist, explained one of the colonel’s acquaintances.

Prior to his arrest, Mikhailov was head of the 2nd Directorate of the FSB’s Information Security Center (TsIB) and within Russian intelligence circles he was considered the main authority on cybercrime.

Now he and three other men — Dmitry Dokuchayev, an FSB major and former criminal hacker, accused in the U.S. of hacking 500 million Yahoo! accounts in 2014; Ruslan Stoyanov, a former Kaspersky Lab employee; and Georgy Fomchenkov, a little-known internet entrepreneur — are suspected of state treason.

Classified as a “state secret”, the entire affair has been kept out of the public eye. “The four men have been hidden away from everyone, to make sure they don’t give away any sensitive information”, says Ivan Pavlov, a lawyer for one of the defendants.

The Bell has spoken to three people who are very familiar with the accused and their plight to discover why, in their opinion, the men are being prosecuted.

Two of the three people say the men passed the information about last year’s Russian attacks on the Democratic National Committee (DNC). Two sources also say that Russian military intelligence (GRU) was behind the arrest of Mikhailov and his companions.

One of the sources claims the defendants helped the Americans identify the hackers who broke into the DNC’s servers. The Bell was unable to confirm the claim. But the New York Times last January reported that the detention of Mikhailov and Stoyanov could be connected with hacker attacks on the DNC. It cited two U.S. officials as telling the paper that some Russian sources had played “a crucial role” in helping U.S. intelligence identify the culprits.

The defendants’ lawyers declined to comment on the details of the case. But they denied their clients had committed treason.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:46 pm

CNN on Friday corrected an erroneous report that Donald Trump Jr. had received advance notice from the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks about a trove of hacked documents that it planned to release during last year’s presidential campaign.

In fact, the email to Mr. Trump was sent a day after the documents, stolen from the Democratic National Committee, were made available to the general public. The correction undercut the main thrust of CNN’s story, which had been seized on by critics of President Trump as evidence of coordination between WikiLeaks and the Trump campaign.

It was also yet another prominent reporting error at a time when news organizations are confronting a skeptical public, and a president who delights in attacking the media as “fake news.”

Last Saturday, ABC News suspended a star reporter, Brian Ross, after an inaccurate report that Donald Trump had instructed Michael T. Flynn, the former national security adviser, to contact Russian officials during the presidential race.

The report fueled theories about coordination between the Trump campaign and a foreign power, and stocks dropped after the news. In fact, Mr. Trump’s instruction to Mr. Flynn came after he was president-elect.

Several news outlets, including Bloomberg and The Wall Street Journal, also inaccurately reported this week that Deutsche Bank had received a subpoena from the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, for President Trump’s financial records.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/08/busi ... mp-jr.html
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Old news by now. Trump already tweeted.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:04 pm

I can't wait for the next report of the groundbreaking evidence against Trump.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:25 am

Putin isn't playing chess, he's playing blackjack, according to a very good (though rather long) piece in The Atlantic. The author has spent years studying Russia, and may have a clue.

'What Putin Really Wants'

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:22 pm

Text messages of FBI agent fired from Mueller probe have been revealed - https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/us/p ... paign.html

Key employees of FBI were biased against Trump and in favor of Clinton in FBI probes of Trump and Clinton - http://wreg.com/2017/12/13/newly-reveal ... tigations/
During the campaign, Strzok led the investigation into Hillary Clinton's use of a private email server and personally changed then FBI Director James Comey's description of her actions from "grossly negligent"— which could carry criminal penalties — to the softer "extremely careless".

Later, he worked on Robert Mueller's team investigating possible Trump campaign ties to Russia, but was dismissed when these text messages were first revealed. Page also worked on the Mueller team.
Also in March, Page seems to be concerned about whether the things they say about Mr. Trump can be found out. "So look, you say we can text on that phone when we talk about Hillary because it cant be traced," she wrote.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/peter-strz ... ump-idiot/ - so, regarding the notion that FBI agents are allowed to have political preferences, they appear to be aware that this goes well beyond that.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm

The Republican Party is getting very nervous about Robert Mueller’s investigation into the Trump campaign’s potential collusion with Russia and possible crimes associated with it, as well they should. So they seem to have arrived at a strategy: launch an all-out PR assault on the entire investigation, utilizing every available megaphone at their disposal.

You might ask, how is that going to help? Mueller has all the authority and resources he needs, and he isn’t going to be intimidated by a bunch of bloviating congressmen or a hundred shouting segments on Fox News. President Donald Trump could fire him, but that won’t be easy, and could precipitate a real constitutional crisis.

Yet even if Trump doesn’t fire Mueller, the strategy could still achieve another critical goal, which is to shape public opinion. Republicans would love to stop Mueller, but short of that they’re trying to immunize the public — or half of it, anyway — against him.
http://www.sltrib.com/opinion/commentar ... -uncovers/
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:17 pm

It's all a political beat up by Bill and Hillary. There's nothing wrong with constantly lying and holding secret meetings with representatives of fascist dictatorships.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Text Messages in Hand, Republicans Plan to Accuse Justice Department of Bias

Accusations of bias, primed by the newly released texts from an F.B.I. agent, Peter Strzok, and an F.B.I. lawyer, Lisa Page, took center stage on Wednesday when Rod J. Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general who appointed Mr. Mueller as special counsel, began testifying before the House Judiciary Committee. Republicans pressed Mr. Rosenstein to appoint a second special counsel to investigate political partisanship in the department and to scrutinize Mr. Trump’s former presidential rival, Mrs. Clinton.

The campaign against the Justice Department, at the very least, provides a rallying cry for the president’s supporters to counter the drumbeat of news about Russian interference in the election and the possible collusion of the Trump campaign.

“Each and every day we are finding more and more instances of intractable bias that is infecting this investigation,” said Representative Matt Gaetz, a first-term Florida Republican who has emerged as one of Mr. Trump’s most vocal defenders on Capitol Hill.

Democrats on the committee tried to extract assurances from Mr. Rosenstein that Mr. Mueller’s investigation into the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia is safe.
Continue reading the main story

Mr. Mueller, a registered Republican appointed by President George W. Bush to direct the F.B.I., has long had critics in the most pro-Trump corners of the House and the conservative news media. But in recent weeks, as his investigation has delivered a series of indictments to high-profile associates of the president and evidence that at least two of them are cooperating with the inquiry, those critics have grown louder and in numbers....

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/13/us/p ... paign.html
It's interesting how someone's private political views are being beefed up to somehow represent the official public political view of their employer. This swings both ways of course - no member of the FBI can ever have political views again.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:53 pm

We need a parallel planet. Where all the people are green and are kind to everyone. When we need a president or an FBI agent, we send over there for one.

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:03 pm

If the Republicans oust Mueller, it's game over for American democracy. Honestly, I don't see how a nation can come back from that.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Bite your tongue. We've only just started to bring democracy to the rest of the world. :tea: