Netherlands Election 2017

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Re: Netherlands Election 2017

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:48 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:
Forty Two wrote:I didn't see any opinion polling at all that said that the PVV would win the most seats.
With respect, what you have and haven't seen has no bearing on whether something exists or not.
Right, well, I'm sure if it's out there, you or Dutchy can just trot out a link.

Your statement is obviously applicable to everyone. What you and anyone else have and haven't seen has no bearing on whether something exists or not. That's why we have discussions, and people advancing a proposition bear the burden of supporting it with evidence, so that we can all verify that something exists or not. Mouthing the platitude you used does not mean that an argument need not be supported. So, if the claim is that there were polls that said the PVV would win the most seats, then bring forth the evidence. Because, as we know, to use another cliche', an assertion made without evidence may be dismissed without evidence.

“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:
Forty Two wrote:I didn't see any opinion polling at all that said that the PVV would win the most seats.
With respect, what you have and haven't seen has no bearing on whether something exists or not.
Right, well, I'm sure if it's out there, you or Dutchy can just trot out a link.
Evidently I made the mistake of thinking that you knew what you were talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_p ... tion,_2017

As you can see from the link, the opinion polls consistently showed a PVV lead from September 2015 until less than a month before the election.

PVV went from a predicted 23 seat lead over the VVD a year ago to being 13 seats behind the VVD.

But you can characterise this as a success for PVV if you want.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm

This is one of the problems with some of your folks. You can't even have a discussion without getting all nasty.

I said I hadn't seen the polling that said the PVV was predicted to the most seats. I hadn't seen any such polling. It was not focused on in the media, and although I started this thread, and invited the Dutch among us to participate in educating those of us not steeped in Dutch politics on what is going on, the gist of posts was that Wilders is a fascist whom nobody supports and he's going to lose. People weren't posting polls showing him leading.

I don't speak Dutch, and while it may come as a surprise to you, Dutch politics is not particularly relevant or important outside of the Netherlands and perhaps a small circle of Europeans. Wilders is the one people hear about. But, we don't generally read polling that is done in the Dutch language, and from what I can tell most of the polls in your Wiki article are Dutch sources, not English sources.

So, for you to sit there and cast aspersions telling me you thought I knew what I was talking about, it's really rather unnecessary. This thread was created to discuss the Dutch election. Those with the most knowledge and the desire to participate should post that information. I obviously did not know about the polls you were talking about, which is why I said exactly that -- I hadn't seen them. What's wrong with that? I haven't seen them, so show them to me, if you know about them.

But, some people always have to pepper comments with insults. Next time you're unaware of the ins-and-outs of a political issue in the US, maybe like politics in Michigan or Wisconsin, I'll give you information along with a snotty comment that "evidently I made the mistake of thinking that you knew what you were talking about..." because, well, it would be ridiculous for you not to know the politics and details relative thereto regarding any and every small bit of real estate on the planet.

But, thanks - you did, indeed, provide valuable information. I was not aware that Wilders had so much popular support in the polls. That actually seems to indicate that there is a portion of the population who opted not to vote for him but who previously expressed support for him. That population is still there among the Dutch population. I wonder, if the liberal party, VVD, doesn't get a handle on the immigrant situation there, might that swell of persons who said they were supporting PVV in the polls not decide to vote for him next time? Is that not reasonably possible? Or, were the polls that said they were going to win over 30 seats, were they just really screwed up polls?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:19 pm

But the whole point it does not matter. Success or no success the PVV for all intents and purposes does not exit in the Dutch coalition discussions.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm

I can accept that. The other parties do appear reluctant to include PVV among a ruling coalition. That's true of several parties, of course.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Forty Two wrote:This is one of the problems with some of your folks. You can't even have a discussion without getting all nasty.
You must have a very low threshold for "nasty".

However, if you are going to cast aspersions on the veracity of my words by writing something like:
Forty Two wrote:I didn't see any opinion polling at all that said that the PVV would win the most seats. Quite the opposite.
Then you should definitely expect a bit of snark back.
Forty Two wrote:I wonder, if the liberal party, VVD, doesn't get a handle on the immigrant situation there, might that swell of persons who said they were supporting PVV in the polls not decide to vote for him next time? Is that not reasonably possible? Or, were the polls that said they were going to win over 30 seats, were they just really screwed up polls?
I suspect it's something of a backlash against the right-wing populism (Trump/Brexit) that seems to be engulfing Western politics at the moment. People are starting to see what the practical effects of demagoguery are, and it's turning more than a few of them off.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The point is, it looks like PVV is still trending up, and getting more and more seats each election.
That is factually wrong. The PVV gained 5 seats in this election, but it lost 9 in the previous one. I pointed this out to you here. Are you into alternative facts? It seems to be something right wingers are particularly fond of.
They gained 5 seats, and the VVD lost 8 or 9. The other parties have fewer seats, in the last article I looked at, than the PVV, making the PVV the party with the second most seats. That sure looks like a good result for them. They've never had more than 24 seats.
Ahem.
Forty Two wrote:...they had a peak and a setback, their trend is upward from their inception to date. No party has exclusively a straight line up -- over time, even a party gaining influence will have a jagged line.
Exactly. Your assertion that the PVV is getting more and more seats each election is factually wrong. As for general trends, every party starts with zero parliamentary members at one stage. So, as long as it has any sitting members at all, its overall trend is always upwards. You insist to somewhat inaccurately call the difference between one election and the next a trend. That's OK with me, as long as you acknowledge that the PVV still has not quite recovered from its previous "trend", where it lost nine of the seats which it had won in the elections before that.
Forty Two wrote:...people advancing a proposition bear the burden of supporting it with evidence
Like when they propose that the PVV is getting more and more seats each election. The ball was in your court then, don't you think?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 pm

The PVV wants to be part of the coalition discussions. It was told in no uncertain terms to F off.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:50 pm

Hermit wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:The point is, it looks like PVV is still trending up, and getting more and more seats each election.
That is factually wrong. The PVV gained 5 seats in this election, but it lost 9 in the previous one. I pointed this out to you here. Are you into alternative facts? It seems to be something right wingers are particularly fond of.
They gained 5 seats, and the VVD lost 8 or 9. The other parties have fewer seats, in the last article I looked at, than the PVV, making the PVV the party with the second most seats. That sure looks like a good result for them. They've never had more than 24 seats.
Ahem.
Forty Two wrote:...they had a peak and a setback, their trend is upward from their inception to date. No party has exclusively a straight line up -- over time, even a party gaining influence will have a jagged line.
Exactly. Your assertion that the PVV is getting more and more seats each election is factually wrong. As for general trends, every party starts with zero parliamentary members at one stage. So, as long as it has any sitting members at all, its overall trend is always upwards. You insist to somewhat inaccurately call the difference between one election and the next a trend. That's OK with me, as long as you acknowledge that the PVV still has not quite recovered from its previous "trend", where it lost nine of the seats which it had won in the elections before that.
Forty Two wrote:...people advancing a proposition bear the burden of supporting it with evidence
Like when they propose that the PVV is getting more and more seats each election. The ball was in your court then, don't you think?
Well, they got 9, then 24, then 15, then 20, so, however, you want to characterize that, it certainly doesn't seem as if they're dead in the water. The average goes 9, 16.5, 16, 17, so, their moving average number of seats is trending up. 9 seats first election, and draw a line to 17, which is the moving average. It is trending up. Obviously, not by much, but up. let's say they get 22 seats next election, their moving average goes to 18, still trending up.

This point, though, is another example of folks simply pedantically trying to grab onto something to insult me. We all can see the number of seats they one, and the point under discussion was whether they are "dead" and whether this was a "loss" for them. I really can't see how they would be anything but pleased with the result. They are right in the mix, and have shown some staying power over several elections. The trend is up for them.

The only legitimate argument I've heard so far is from Dutchy who points out that right now none of the other parties want to deal with Wilders or include him in a coalition. That may as may be. But, it doesn't make them dead. Parties will become willing to work with him, if he can be the key to their ruling coalition. So, perhaps not this election, but if the PVV breaks away from the pack next election, and, say, the VVD drops a few more seats, and the PVV goes up, it may be that some iteration of a coalition allows one of the other non-VVD parties to rise to greater prominence, if they include the PVV....that temptation is common in politics. I, of course, recognize Dutchy may be right in saying that the Dutch have gone beyond such politics and that there are no circumstances where parties will join with Wilders.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:54 pm

The Labour party or PvdA, slumped from 38 seats to 9. So, it looks like they were the big loser.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:57 pm

PVV is dead. Even it was the largest party it would be asked to form a coalition but nobody would answer the call. There are no laws to force people into a coalition. His performance is so bad that he will be left in the wilderness.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:01 pm

Wilders said he wants Schippers to explore a coalition that consists of Rutte’s Liberals, the Freedom Party, the Christian Democrats, the 50Plus party that appeals to older voters, the reformed protestant SGP, which does well in the conservative Christian Bible Belt, and a smaller populist group, the Forum for Democracy.

Rutte has a different view -- he told reporters after his meeting with Schippers that he wants a stable majority cabinet that includes the Christian Democrats and the centrist, pro-European Union D66 party. The three have 71 seats between them.

So, since Rutte's view gets him to 71 seats, how does he get to the requisite 76? He needs a coalition of 4, and if he leaves out the PVV - even excludes PVV from the negotiating table, isn't that rather undemocratic?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:PVV is dead. Even it was the largest party it would be asked to form a coalition but nobody would answer the call. There are no laws to force people into a coalition. His performance is so bad that he will be left in the wilderness.
Interesting. I suppose even if he had the most seats, if the other smaller parties could mass 76, they would be able to form a coalition.

That being said, one would think there would be some popular discord from the the notion that the party with the most seats in parliament, or perhaps second most, is being shut out of government. I would think there would be some who may have considered the PVV but not yet opted to vote for them, that would see that as dirty pool.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 pm

It has 20 seats, there are 130 other reps to create a coalition, what don't you understand in the fact that those 130 will find enough (75) among them to form a coalition and leave the DVV to rot in the rain?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Svartalf wrote:It has 20 seats, there are 130 other reps to create a coalition, what don't you understand in the fact that those 130 will find enough (75) among them to form a coalition and leave the DVV to rot in the rain?
Oh, I understand that they will do that. What don't you understand about the fact that those who voted for the PVV, and/or almost voted for the PVV or considered it, will see the party with the second largest number of seats shut out of the negotiating room. They may well be a bit miffed at that.

Also, it may well be that next election, with another loss for VVD, and another gain for PVV, the analysis might start to change.