Straya!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Straya!

Post by Hermit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:44 am

Tyrannical wrote:Stupid Aussie wildlife site states "dangers" to indigenous species. All while suspiciously neglecting snakes.
Snakes are a very minor problem. Here is a list of animals and how many humans they killed in Australia between the first of July 2000 and November 2010:

Horse, pony or donkey – 77
Cow, bull or bovine – 33
Dog – 27
Kangaroo – 18
Bee – 16
Shark – 16
Snake – 14
Crocodile – 9
Ostrich or emu – 5
Others, including fish, sheep, goats, camels, cats and jellyfish – 39
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:45 am

Bloody kangaroos! I didn't realise they killed that many people.

While Australia has most of the world's most venomous snakes, in general they tend to have smaller fangs (they inject into the limbic system as opposed to the blood circulatory system like some other snakes). So if you are wearing clothing of any sort, that reduces your chances of suffering a significant enough bite to kill you. Lesson from this? Don't bushwalk in the nude. :prof:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:53 am

Hmmm, I do like Star Wars.....

Storm Troopers may not be blaster proof, but snake proof yes!
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/this ... e-bite-115
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:58 am

Where is the spider in the list of fatalities?
Have we been sold a myth?
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am

mistermack wrote:Where is the spider in the list of fatalities?
Have we been sold a myth?
Yes, you have been sold a myth. Between 1979 and April last year nobody in Australia was killed by a spider, and before the advent of antivenins very few humans died in Australia after being bitten by a spider.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:19 am

It occurred to me that the 'death by kangaroo' stats above might actually include the far more likely event of a kangaroo committing suicide by head-butting a moving car and thus causing the car to crash with human fatalities. I'm just finding it hard to believe that there have been that many kangaroo vs man death matches. I've seen kangaroos kick people in the guts and also give them a swipe upside the head. But never heard of a kangaroo actually killing a human in one on one contact.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:56 pm

I read daily mail australia, and there are scary shark / spider / snake stories there almost daily! And cute baby Joey stories only once or twice a week.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:33 am

Recently a Sydney boy was bitten by a funnel web spider and needed 10 doses of antivenene to pull through...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:04 pm

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:44 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:57 am

One of comments does not seem to agree:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-97365920

I've lived and worked in Dublin, London, New York and Sydney and Sydney is the angriest city I've lived in.

Sydney is angrier than New York. Wow.

By anger I mean I've seen more public arguments in Australia than I have in the other three cities combined.

Drivers are more aggressive. I've seen drivers hoot at old people crossing the road.

I've seen numerous incidents with cyclists and have heard of cyclists being deliberately knocked down (by the way some of the stories in this article are mental particularly the story about the friend who was beaten up).

It's the only city I've ever lived in that has lock out laws.

Talk back radio (which admittedly is inspired by America) has its own unique anger to it.

Now before an angry person responds saying: why don't you leave? - everywhere and everything in the universe has pros and cons.

There are many more pros to living in Sydney than cons. This is a con. It's good to talk about cons (without getting angry) because you can understand the con better and try and lessen the con. That is of course unless people think the anger is a pro.

Sydney 2017 reminds a bit of Dublin 2006. Just before the crash people in Dublin were becoming unbearable. Irish people are not as friendly as our tourist boards would have people believe but Irish people do tend to be down to earth. A bit like the Aussies. However with money people became proper arse holes.

Money is an arse hole enabling thing. I always consider money to be a modern version of the club: we used to club our rivals and steal their food and we now just outbid them and leave them to starve. It could be the lack of recession that has produced and sustained so many arse holes.

While I wouldn't wish a recession on anyone, I did find people were friendly in Dublin after the crash. So maybe that's the solution.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:04 am

Better question: Why are we so angry? Because the majority of us consists of petty-minded, self-entitled retards, totally oblivious to the fact that at this stage almost all things that get us worked up are at worst first world problems.

In other news, Yassmin Abdel-Magied, who works for the Australian Broadcasting Commission, meekly pointed out our smugness on ANZAC Day, when she posted this on her facebook page: "Lest. We. Forget. (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine.)" Manus and Nauru are two offshore concentration camps for asylum seekers. The government has decided that it is better top spend somewhere around $2000 per day to imprison each asylum seeker than the $38 a day it costs to let them live freely.

For that she received thousands of posts consisting overwhelmingly of abuse, insults, death threats and the usual garbage the plebs come up with, but things got worse. Today Senator Abetz announced that he asked foreign minister, Julie Bishop to sack her. It puzzles me how Abetz could possibly be unaware that Bishop is not the minister for communications, and that even if we were, she could make no such decision. Although the ABC is taxpayer funded, it is independently run. Politicians of any stripe are expressly forbidden to interfere with its management.

The kicker is the Senator's reasoning: Yassmin Abdel-Magied is denigrating Australian values. Does he really think Australian values resulting in the outsourcing of concentration camps are to be held in high esteem? And they definitely are Australian values. They have bipartisan support in parliament because the "honourable" members of both houses fear they will lose their seats at the next election if they oppose them.

The values, as expressed in four of our national anthem's stanzas, are a myth:

For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:20 am

I don't know what circles she hangs out in, but I don't see very much anger. What I did really notice, and hate, while driving around Australia was our ability to fucking whinge. We call the poms whingers, but honestly I think we are just as big if not bigger whingers.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:24 am

pErvin wrote:
I don't know what circles she hangs out in, but I don't see very much anger. What I did really notice, and hate, while driving around Australia was our ability to fucking whinge. We call the poms whingers, but honestly I think we are just as big if not bigger whingers.
How can a country that has roadside sobriety checks at 11:30 am be angry :thinks:

Honestly, I thought the cop broke down and was waiting for a lift. Would have been a good laugh if we got pulled over though :hehe:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:50 pm

Drivers are more aggressive. I've seen drivers hoot at old people crossing the road.
Hoot at them? Luxury. Here we shoot at them.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.