Straya!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Straya!

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Still not there yet, of course. It will go through debate after debate in parliament, with the knuckle-dragging conservative rump fighting all the way...

Still, sometime next year, civil marriage celebrants and wedding venue owners will be seriously in the money... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm

As most of you know I'm a genuine dyed in the wool snowflake liberal - but I struggle with gay marriage. I don't think it is on moral grounds - well I know it isn't.

I've been in my current unmarried hetero relationship now for 17 years. We are happy and have no intention of getting married. We both agree that marriage is unnecessary, outdated and a pain in the arse. I have been married twice before and she once and we agree that the institution simply didn't work for us.

Why then, other than for some rather bogus notion of social acceptability and 'respectability' would people of the same sex wish to take on board such an institution? For me - and Mrs Rum, they have arrived at the party just as everyone is going home.

I wish them well of course and being the liberal snowflake I am. But - you know - fuck, have fun, live together but leave the state - and god ffs out of it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:30 am

It's not just about "being married". It's about being afforded the same rights as hetero couples, whether they are married or defacto.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:04 am

A fair number of gay couples are as scornful of marriage as many young hetero couples, but rEv's point is the key - even those gay couples with no intention of marrying, the absence of equality would have rankled.
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:30 am

What about family values guys? Marriage is the cornerstone without which these values can't thrive, and it is absolutely vital to the health of society that they do so.

:lol: It's so easy to do the Christian bullshit ain't it?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 am

The best thing about same sex marriage is that, according to our dear Senator Eric Abetz I will finally be able to marry the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:56 am

Hermit wrote:The best thing about same sex marriage is that, according to our dear Senator Eric Abetz I will finally be able to marry the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
It's a handsome bridge. Especially when lit up at night.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:59 am

Seabass wrote:
Hermit wrote:The best thing about same sex marriage is that, according to our dear Senator Eric Abetz I will finally be able to marry the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
It's a handsome bridge. Especially when lit up at night.
True, but I must confess that it is my second preference. If it were not so far away - and probably smelling of garlic - I'd rather marry the much more elegant Eiffel Tower. :swoon:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:23 am

Don't tell Svarty - he'll be crushed...
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:09 am

You can have the Eiffel tower, a masterwork of engineering it may be, it's still fugly.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:07 am

I googled this
A de facto relationship is defined in Section 4AA of the Family Law Act 1975. The law requires that you and your former partner, who may be of the same or opposite sex, had a relationship as a couple living together on a genuine domestic basis.
So, kinda sorta legal since '75, or was the same sex clause more recent.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 am

What a surprise, the kangaroo fuckers are degenerate cunts. It is only a matter of time until you fight for your right to fuck children and animals, you sick fucks.

Ibf: Slippery slope argument as it its looking like it is not a logical fallacy after all but only because the sick and evil degenerate lefty/liberals.

I seriously wont be surprised when you sick fucks lower the age of consent to 10 years old and make it legal to fuck animals as you really are immoral scumbags.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:54 am

Wait, does that mean I can fuck an underage kangaroo? Damn, I've always wanted to fuck an underage kangaroo. Saucy little bitches, they're fucking asking for it. And don't get me started on those little wallaby sluts, with their pert little tails. Koala fuckers - now that's a sick bunch of pervos. Should be flayed, hung, drawn, quartered, and fed to Tasmanian devils, IMO.

I don't know if Aussie law is similar to laws in many states, but without a legal marriage there were many issues. Inheritance, end of life decisions, etc.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:56 am

In case anyone wondered, I only want to fuck an underage GIRL kangaroo. I'm not a fag.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 am

laklak wrote:Wait, does that mean I can fuck an underage kangaroo? Damn, I've always wanted to fuck an underage kangaroo. Saucy little bitches, they're fucking asking for it. And don't get me started on those little wallaby sluts, with their pert little tails. Koala fuckers - now that's a sick bunch of pervos. Should be flayed, hung, drawn, quartered, and fed to Tasmanian devils, IMO.

I don't know if Aussie law is similar to laws in many states, but without a legal marriage there were many issues. Inheritance, end of life decisions, etc.
Get your ass down to Straya and fill your boots.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.