Straya!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Straya!

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:32 pm

Pit bulls appear to be the favourite amongst the heroin addict fraternity in my small city. Helps them feel safe from the potential nastiness of their dealers perhaps.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:38 pm

I had a really old pit mix. She was sweet to me and other people. But her prey drive was still intense even at her age. She'd go after any other animals.

It was sad really, because otherwise she was a great dog.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:43 pm

That can happen with any dog really though can' it? My ex and I picked up a cute Jack Russell way back when we met 30 odd years ago. Lovely nature - its seemed. But the first time we took it to a park and let it off the lead it ran at the first group of kids it saw and started to attack them! It seemed to have a problem with kids (it was a rescue dog).

In the end a farmer took him on as part of a small pack he used for ratting. The dog seemed to love it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 pm

:lol: Sure, but I don't see the point of breeding for aggression if it's not producing results.

This dog was a rescue too.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:40 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:I had a really old pit mix. She was sweet to me and other people. But her prey drive was still intense even at her age. She'd go after any other animals.

It was sad really, because otherwise she was a great dog.
That's how a lot of serious attacks on humans happen. The aggressive dog goes after a pet, and then turns on the owner when they try to intervene.

Any dog should be immediately put down, if it attacks any animal or person.
It's up to the owners to ensure it doesn't happen.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:44 pm

mistermack wrote:I recommend a golf wedge.
So long as you have balls, you should be ok. :D

I remember once, years ago, I was playing golf on Minchinhampton Common, which is open to public walkers.

I was eyeing up a shot with an iron in my hand, when all of a sudden I heard a vicious snarling noise, right down by my ankles. Without any thought whatsoever, I swished down with the golf club and hopped away from the noise.
There was the noise of breaking china, the club must have hit what turned out to be a jack-russel sized dog in the teeth. The thing yelped and ran away at full speed.

It must have crept up on me really craftily, because I'm fairly aware of my surroundings, and there was no cover for hundreds of yards. I was mega sorry when I saw what it was, but it was a purely instinctive reaction.

But if I was walking a beach with problem dogs, the golf club would be great. It's not a weapon, so long as you have some balls, but it can be brilliant protection.
Many years ago, a child was being threatened by a snarling Alsatian just outside a house I was staying in at the time. I happened to be sweeping the garden path at the time, with a straw broom. I went out the gate, the dog lunged at me, straight into a face-full of bristles. It ran away, whimpering...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:49 pm

As to the pit bull thing, it does't have to be a single reason, it can be both nature and nurture. I think it is highly likely that the breed is statistically more likely to be aggressive, and if it does attack, more dangerous than other breeds, but the frequency of attacks is definitely increased by (as rEv would put it) "bogan" owners. That certainly allows the possibility of a pit bull being generally safe if well looked after and well trained, but I still think it is reasonable to ban them (in a gradual sense - let the existing dogs live, but insist that they be neutered) for public safety reasons.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:13 am

Rescue dogs seem to also be a more dangerous choice than a puppy.

That's going on the cases that I've read, of dog attacks that "came out of nowhere".

Of course, rescue dogs can also be good pets, but I'd like to see the statistics for how they compare on average.

Mind you, you can never know the whole story. A hell of a lot of dog attacks never get reported, or the culprit detected.

I have a friend who had a couple of rescue dogs over about 25 years, one after the other. Not big aggressive breeds, they were smaller mixed breeds.
Perfectly good house pets, they seemed good as gold. But they were both insanely aggressive to other dogs, and my friend paid some vet bills to some, and did a runner on other occasions.
I think that happens a lot.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:33 am

Part of the problem here at least has got to be people's reluctance to say a dog is unmanageable. When I picked up the pit mix I was told she was friendly with everyone, and all other animals. That wasn't even remotely true. She was indeed sweet to me and other people, but never with other animals.

People want the dogs to be rescued, and to that end they will ignore signs of a problem. If they change owners everything will be just fine... They need to develop a good guide as to the needs of any given dog in terms of owners that is better than good with kids, pets, cats etc.

I think the pit mix would've been great for some old fart with a shit ton of land; maybe a hog hunter. :hehe:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:04 am

laklak wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
laklak wrote:They're pretty much my favorite dogs. Pits and Labs. Look at this little face. Don't you just want to boop his nose?
Watch your face with that one.
Yeah might get licked.

But look at this dude. Fucking awesome, I would LOVE to have a dog like this. Absolutely gorgeous. With this fucker and an AR ain't NOBODY given this redneck no shit. He'd look really good in the bed of my white pick-up.
Has someone cut that dog's ears?? :( :nono:

Fuckwit owners have fuckwit dogs.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:25 am

That's the in thing to say anyway.

I've known many people with the same opinion, dog experts all, with a secret or two they keep hidden away especially when they have guests.

I think dog's have personalities, and like people they tend to behave predictably well. But they don't always. :dunno:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:37 am

Yeah, but that's not down to breed. All dogs share that unpredictability as they are still animals not humans (despite some people not understanding the difference).
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:15 am

Always amazed how little control owners have over their dog.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:39 am

Basically, if you can't lift your dog onto its hind legs by its lead/collar, then you can't manage that dog. Which means that very few people could probably manage the biggest dogs.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:36 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT