Straya!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Straya!

Post by JimC » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:21 am

Hermit wrote:
pErvin wrote:To be clear, Tasmania isn't clearfelling all old growth forest. MM must have got that news from the same site he gets his climate change conspiracy news.
MM loves to exaggerate, but the state government did repeal the Tasmanian Forest Agreement recently, in which 4000 square kilometres of native forests were set aside from harvesting for six years.
There will be some solid opposition when and if the bulldozers start rolling, I imagine...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:21 am

JimC wrote:
Hermit wrote:
pErvin wrote:To be clear, Tasmania isn't clearfelling all old growth forest. MM must have got that news from the same site he gets his climate change conspiracy news.
MM loves to exaggerate, but the state government did repeal the Tasmanian Forest Agreement recently, in which 4000 square kilometres of native forests were set aside from harvesting for six years.
There will be some solid opposition when and if the bulldozers start rolling, I imagine...
Perhaps. Now, people, as the old saying goes, are less concerned with maintaining their wage than their rage.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:11 am

Faark.. :?
FireShot Screen Capture #010 - 'Facebook' - www_facebook_com.jpg
FireShot Screen Capture #010 - 'Facebook' - www_facebook_com.jpg (59.43 KiB) Viewed 7615 times
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:20 pm

Hermit wrote:
Me exaggerate? Bollocks. Millions of my friends will tell you I NEVER exaggerate.

But without bothering to go back and check, I believe that felling those 400,000 sq km will leave about one percent.
So not all that much of an exaggeration.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 pm

mistermack wrote:I just read somewhere that the Tasmanian government have passed a law allowing virtually all of the remaining virgin forest to be logged.

So the place that once had probably the world's tallest trees, will now have stumps.

Mind you, they have form. They paid to have the Tasmanian Tiger exterminated.
I was in Hobart once.

It was shut. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:54 pm

mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:
without bothering to go back and check, I believe that felling those 400,000 sq km will leave about one percent.
Maybe you should have checked. The 400,000 hectares (not square kilometres, by the way. Tasmania's total size is only 68,000km²) were added to a 800,000 hectare area that was put into protected mode earlier, and the total of that is only a fraction of the 3.2 million hectares of native forests covering the island. So, yeah, exaggeration+.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 am

Tasmania's forest size is a conspiracy brought to you by the same people who are behind the AGW conspiracy.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:42 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
mistermack wrote:I just read somewhere that the Tasmanian government have passed a law allowing virtually all of the remaining virgin forest to be logged.

So the place that once had probably the world's tallest trees, will now have stumps.

Mind you, they have form. They paid to have the Tasmanian Tiger exterminated.
I was in Hobart once.

It was shut. :tea:
Check out this, and the joke might fall a little flat: https://mona.net.au
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:46 am

Yeah, Hobart has change massively in the last decade or so.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Hermit wrote:
mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:
without bothering to go back and check, I believe that felling those 400,000 sq km will leave about one percent.
Maybe you should have checked. The 400,000 hectares (not square kilometres, by the way. Tasmania's total size is only 68,000km²) were added to a 800,000 hectare area that was put into protected mode earlier, and the total of that is only a fraction of the 3.2 million hectares of native forests covering the island. So, yeah, exaggeration+.
I do apologise. I shouldn't rely on idiots for my facts. :hehe:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:05 pm

mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:
mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Who did you rely on? A Facebook contact?

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:08 pm

Hermit wrote:Who did you rely on? A Facebook contact?
Cold. :lol:

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:28 pm

Someone who is not familiar with metric units, then, and has no idea about Tasmania. To everyone else it would be obvious that 400,000 hectares equals 4000 rather than 400,000 sq km, and that 400,000 sq km would only fit into Tasmania if the island were 6 times larger than it is, whereas 4000 sq km fits in 17 times over. You wouldn't even need a calculator to notice you're using the wrong units.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:05 pm

Hermit wrote:Someone who is not familiar with metric units, then, and has no idea about Tasmania. To everyone else it would be obvious that 400,000 hectares equals 4000 rather than 400,000 sq km, and that 400,000 sq km would only fit into Tasmania if the island were 6 times larger than it is, whereas 4000 sq km fits in 17 times over. You wouldn't even need a calculator to notice you're using the wrong units.
You make oi larf. :funny:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:51 pm

mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:
mistermack wrote:
Hermit wrote:
You do realise that 400,000 square kilometres is 1000 times larger than 4000 square kilometres, right? :ask: Right? :think: .... Right? :?