Straya!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Straya!

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 am

Well done to all those who defied the court order not to demonstrate in support of BLM in Sydney.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 am
Well done to all those who defied the court order not to demonstrate in support of BLM in Sydney.
Actually, in Sydney, a court challenge just hours before the protest started made it legal.

However, in Melbourne, the protest was technically in breach of lockdown laws. The protest was of course triggered by the George Floyd thing, but was largely lead by aboriginal people, protesting the disgraceful number of black deaths in custody here. The police made no effort to stop the march, and it was peaceful, but (somewhat meanly) the organisers will be fined. I must admit, I was in two minds about the protest, with real concerns for the health of those concerned. At my age, I certainly would have been silly to attend, but if I were in my 20s, wearing a mask, I may have decided to risk it...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:24 am

The protests got really big numbers.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:29 am

JimC wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 am
Actually, in Sydney, a court challenge just hours before the protest started made it legal.
Good. It would have been bad form to criminalise protestors even if lockdown restrictions are still generally supoorted.
JimC wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:55 am
However, in Melbourne, the protest was technically in breach of lockdown laws. The protest was of course triggered by the George Floyd thing, but was largely lead by aboriginal people, protesting the disgraceful number of black deaths in custody here. The police made no effort to stop the march, and it was peaceful, but (somewhat meanly) the organisers will be fined. I must admit, I was in two minds about the protest, with real concerns for the health of those concerned. At my age, I certainly would have been silly to attend, but if I were in my 20s, wearing a mask, I may have decided to risk it...
That was a bit niggardly of them - but hopefully donations will cover the cost of the fines.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:40 am

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:55 am

:{D
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:53 pm

In the US, the SS Secret Service would have gunned down that bloke for sure...
And my gin!

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:00 pm

JimC wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:53 pm
In the US, the SS Secret Service would have gunned down that bloke for sure...
Or the bloke could have gunned down the whole bunch in a state with "stand your ground" legislation :biggrin:

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:34 am

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-07/ ... h/12430514
One of the world's deadliest snakes has given a Queensland motorist the fright of his life.

Jimmy, 27, from Gladstone, was driving down the Dawson Highway west of Calliope in central Queensland when he saw a brown snake in the cab of his ute.

"I'm driving at 100 kilometres an hour and I just started to brake," he told police.

"And the more I moved my legs … it just started to wrap around me.

"Its head started to strike at the seat and between my legs."

Jimmy used a seat belt and a work knife to fight off the snake while bringing his ute to a stop.

He feared he had been bitten and was about to die so he killed the snake and put it in the ute's rear tray and drove off at great speed to the nearest hospital.

Video of the June 15 incident was released by the Queensland Police Service today.

Officers spotted the ute doing 123 kilometres an hour and pulled the man over.

A panic-stricken Jimmy explained what had happened, telling the traffic officer to "feel my heart".

The drama was captured on the officer's body camera.

An ambulance was called and paramedics determined Jimmy had not actually been bitten but was suffering from shock.

"It was pretty bloody terrifying," he said.

"I have never been so happy to see red and blue lights."

University of Queensland snake expert Associate Professor Bryan Fry said Jimmy had "good reason to freak out".

"Brown snakes have unusually fast-acting venom and can kill within 15 minutes," he said.

He said the best thing to do was remain calm and call for help rather than run around.

"The patient feels fine and then dramatically collapses and dies as the venom works so fast," he said.
:shock:
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:52 am

Fucken snakes.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:12 am

What? If he didn't even have a car mongoose then he's only got himself to blame. :tea:

Frank Zappa

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:34 am

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:40 am

:doh:

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:29 am

It couldn't happen to a nicer guy:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-17/ ... s/12467070
Businessman Clive Palmer has been charged over alleged breaches of directors duties and fraud after an investigation by the Australian Securities and Investment Corporation (ASIC).

Mr Palmer has been charged with two counts of dishonest use of position as a director and two counts of fraud by dishonestly gaining a benefit or advantage.

The charges related to a period between August 2013 and September 2013, when ASIC alleged Mr Palmer dishonestly obtained a benefit or advantage for Cosmo Developments Pty Ltd and or the Palmer United Party (PUP) and others by authorising the transfer of $10 million, contrary to the purpose for which the funds were being held.

ASIC has also alleged Mr Palmer dishonestly obtained a benefit or advantage for Media Circus Network Pty Ltd and/or PUP by authorising the transfer of $2,167,065.60, contrary to the purpose for which the funds were being held.

It is alleged Mr Palmer dishonestly used his position as a director of Mineralogy in these instances.

The matter is being prosecuted by the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions.
A right bastard, that one...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:25 am

Good.