Straya!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Straya!

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:08 am

We are the fucking champions of the world! https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-20/ ... g/10396984
It shows that, when averaged out across the entire adult population, Australians bet almost $11,000 per person, making us far and away the biggest betting nation on the planet.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:31 am

Something to be proud off?
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:44 am

Are you familiar with the concept of irony?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:47 am

What has irony got to do with it? How is it ironical?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:15 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:47 am
What has irony got to do with it? How is it ironical?
Had you looked up 'irony' yourself, it might have saved you the embarrassment of not knowing the meaning this common word.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am

I know what irony is. Probably some odd Oz misuse of it.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 am

Our current government is on a hiding to nothing, no matter if the next general election is held now or at the latest possible date. The independent candidate, Kerryn Phelps has just won the seat after distribution of preferences that our previous Prime Minister, Malcolm Turnbull, held at the last election with 67% of the vote.

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

The seat of Wentworth has become solidly conservative over the past few decades. You cannot buy a house for under one or two million dollars, and you'll be struggling to find an apartment for much under a million. Phelps's social and political views are more in alignment with Turnbull's than with the Labor party, and yet she has beaten Turnbull's party's own candidate. Goes to show just how much the current Prime Minister's right wing faction is on the nose.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
The link I gave you is from the Cambridge English Dictionary. You didn't bother clicking on it, did you? Under "Type of Speech" you'll find the following definition:
the use of words that are the opposite of what you mean, as a way of being funny.
Now you have embarrassed yourself twice. Once with ignorance and once with arrogance. An unbeatable combination. Dunning and Kruger want to use you as a quintessential example of their theory.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:59 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:53 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:39 am
The link I gave you is from the Cambridge English Dictionary. You didn't bother clicking on it, did you? Under "Type of Speech" you'll find the following definition:
the use of words that are the opposite of what you mean, as a way of being funny.
Now you have embarrassed yourself twice. Once with ignorance and once with arrogance. An unbeatable combination. Dunning and Kruger want to use you as a quintessential example of their theory.
Australians trying to be funny/ Now that is real irony.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 am

Do you have Oz and German nationalities Hermit? So you can escape back to civilisation.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:02 am
Do you have Oz and German nationalities Hermit? So you can escape back to civilisation.
Yeah, yeah, we all know you've visited Cairns some years ago. I have been all over Australia for almost half a century.

My Europäische Union Reisepass is up for renewal in January 2022. Europe really is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am

Hermit wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Yeah, yeah, we all know you've visited Cairns some years ago. I have been all over Australia for almost half a century.

My Europäische Union Reisepass is up for renewal in January 2022. Europe really is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
The feelings are reciprocated. I prefer civilisation thanks.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 am

Do we have a 'No preaching' rule? :shifty:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:38 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:22 am
Hermit wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:18 am
Scot Dutchy wrote:

The feelings are reciprocated. I prefer civilisation thanks.
Australian society is not limited to the type your sister chose to live in. It's not my fault your experience of this country is confined to that. Australia is where the Hills Hoist was invented, yes, but it is also where the bionic ear was invented and developed and the home of 15 Nobel Laureates. I am happy to have met one of them when he lived at Moore Park, less than ten kilometres from my abode at the time.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:40 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:34 am
Do we have a 'No preaching' screeching rule? :shifty:
Luckily for Scott, no.