Straya!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Straya!

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:28 am

This may concern 9B a little, but here is a tale of a girl who nurses sick spiders back to health...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-07-31/ ... a/12507240
Townsville resident Elina Walsh has been recognised by animal rights group PETA Australia for her efforts in rescuing and rehabilitating an injured huntsman spider.

Ms Walsh was recognised with a Hero To Animals award after she hand-fed the spider (nicknamed 'Peggy') for a month, while it grew its legs back.

Ms Walsh found the creature emaciated, dehydrated, and with just two legs and suspected the arachnid had been attacked by a gecko or a bird.

"Initially my thought was she wasn't going to make it and I considered putting her out of her misery," Ms Walsh said.

"I did a quick Google search and found out that spiders can in fact regrow legs, so I thought I would give it a go.

"I am a huge animal lover, normally huntsmen aren't my favourite choice of animal but I kind of felt sorry for her and tried to help her out."

Ms Walsh spent a month feeding the spider small cockroaches with tweezers, in that time the spider was able to regrow six smaller legs which became visible and functional after a moult.

Ms Walsh has a pet tarantula and scorpion and had an idea of how to feed the huntsman.

She plans to keep Peggy in her care until the spider has one more moult and her new legs are more robust.

"Now that she has got her legs back she is able to hunt quite well on her own, but the ones that have regrown are quite a bit smaller," Ms Walsh said.

"With her next moult she should have full-sized legs again and I will be quite happy to release her outside."
(and by the way, click on the link, which has a picture of the spider heroine towards the end - a very pretty young lady indeed...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 am

--that's a feel good story. I leave spiders alone too. The spiny orb-weavers are some of my favorites.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am

I must admit, even with my zoology degree, I had no idea spiders could regrow missing legs...
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:21 am

JimC wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:17 am
I must admit, even with my zoology degree, I had no idea spiders could regrow missing legs...
You feed them radium.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:24 am

Sean Hayden wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:21 am
--that's a feel good story. I leave spiders alone too. The spiny orb-weavers are some of my favorites.
My father used to gently gather huntsman that had invaded our house in a handkerchief, and then release them in the park over the road. Then, one bit him through the handkerchief, so his solution after that was a little more final... :tea:
And my gin!

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:31 am

Fortunately there are only a handful of potentially dangerous spiders here. A much bigger problem is finding solutions to pests you can feel good about. Spiders are a feel good solution.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:06 am

They can grow back their legs?

When is the next scheduled flight that leaves the planet?

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am

Listening to this presenter pronounce Melbourne as "Melburn" really rustled my Jimmies. Most uninitiated folks will go with "Mel-born" (as in, The Bourne Identity), which is understandable. I wonder if somebody has said "It's not pronounced Mel-born" and she's gone and totally mangled it into "Mel-burn".

:doh:
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:46 am

Melburn (As in Sunburn) is how we pronounce it in Germany.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:57 am

Melbun.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:07 am

I thought it was Meal Bin.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:10 am

Probably more like Melbn. The second vowel is hardly pronounced.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:11 am

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:39 am

LucidFlight wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:26 am

Listening to this presenter pronounce Melbourne as "Melburn" really rustled my Jimmies. Most uninitiated folks will go with "Mel-born" (as in, The Bourne Identity), which is understandable. I wonder if somebody has said "It's not pronounced Mel-born" and she's gone and totally mangled it into "Mel-burn".

:doh:
Which syllable did the presenter stress? If you put the emphasis on the first one, the second pretty much takes care of itself. The pronunciation then lies almost inevitably somewhere between NineBerry's and pErvinalia's suggestions.

Maybe the presenter had the pronunciation of Lord Melbourne - the man after whom the city was named - in mind when she pronounced it "Melburn".

ETA: The pronunciation in the tagesschau link NineBerry provided is crap. rEv's second suggestion is much better.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:24 am

There's a Melbourne, Florida. Perhaps Lak should tell us how it's said.