Straya!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Straya!

Post by Hermit » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:37 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:29 pm
Yeah, I thought that was great. He was probably in cosmopolitan Sydney. If he was on a train in Brisbane 10 bogans would have told him to shut his fucking hole.
Newtown, actually. His "ministry" uploaded a couple of clips to Youtube about his misadventures. Here is one of them. I barely recognise King Street any more, but it was amusing to watch as he walked past the front doors of a couple of pubs frequented by mostly gays while shouting his shit about human sinfulness and the Lard's lurve.

SBS published a shorter, better edited version of the clip. The grey-haired man, annoyed about having his book reading disturbed by being accused of selfishness finishes telling the hapless missionary: "we're asking you to shut the fuck up. And do you? No. How selfish is that?" The missionary was left speechless.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:02 am

Disney to Receive $18 Million Subsidy to Shoot Marvel Movie at Fox Studios Australia

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:16 pm

The government likes to hand out money to US movie studios to shoot movies here.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:14 am

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:57 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:16 pm
The government likes to hand out money to US movie studios to shoot movies here.
How else can we get movies that imply that Australians have never visited a city?
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:07 am

Yearp, Bill Whatsisface is doing his level best to lose the upcoming unlosable election.

Fucking moron.

Hey, Coito Two. This is what a centrist looks like.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:58 am

Bill has stumbled in the first week of the campaign (or has it been two weeks?). Hopefully he'll recover. But if he loses it will probably be more down to Scott Morrison's impressive blokey bloke performance and the ridiculous scare campaign he's running, and of course the utter stupidity and short-memoriedness of the voting public.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 am

Yes, Labor has the entire main stream media firmly opposed to it. It also has to fight the dirty tricks campaigners. For instance, some anonymous organisation is currently spending a lot of money on Facebook advertisements, lying its heads off to the effect that if Labor wins it will introduce a *start ominous background music* DEATH TAX! *end ominous background music*. And yes, there is no shortage of low wage earners who are sufficiently cretinous to believe the trickle down theory works for them.

I do understand why Shorten would rather crawl into a very dark corner than say anything substantive about refugees, Manus and so on, but he is not improving Labor's chances by refusing to forthrightly say that if Labor wins, Adani can kiss its Carmichael coal mine proposal goodbye. The latest poll shows 55.6% opposed to that mine and 18.4% undecided. Even from a merely Machiavellian point of view a clear, unambiguous "NO" to Adani is a great move. One need not be a rocket surgeon to realise that. And yet... Fucking idiot.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:28 am

Shorten is worried by reaction in blue-collar Queensland seats, where an anti-Adani stance may alienate enough voters to be a problem. That is an explanation, not an excuse...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:28 am
Shorten is worried by reaction in blue-collar Queensland seats, where an anti-Adani stance may alienate enough voters to be a problem. That is an explanation, not an excuse...
Do you really think more people care about the non-creation of 24.5 full time mining jobs than the likely destruction of the Great Barrier Reef? 22% of the blue-collar racists will be voting for Pauline Pantsdown's One Nation One People One Führer party anyway. Shorten will gain far more voters by telling Adani to fuck off than he'll lose.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 am

Most of these things come down to the marginal seats. Not the overall, across the electorate, figures.

Hermit

Post by Hermit » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:21 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:05 am
Most of these things come down to the marginal seats. Not the overall, across the electorate, figures.
Good point. Kind of. I just had a look and found 12 seats in Queensland that are within 6% of changing hands. 9 of them belong to the LNP. I still think Labor has more votes to gain, even in those seats, by playing on preserving the Great Barrier Reef than by letting Adani's proposed coal mine go ahead, but they are doing nothing with it.

There is way more employment in tourism than mining. Way, way more. Adani claimed its mine would create 10,000 jobs. Its own expert witness said it was more likely to be 1,200 during the construction phase, and that was before the project was shrunk from exporting 40 million tons of coal per annum to 10 million because no bank would risk financing it. Destroying the reef will kill many thousand jobs. Moreover, Adani will go broke. India has closed well over a hundred coal mines and is still producing more thermal coal than it needs. China is investing in non-fossil energy production plants hand over fist. It too has more thermal coal than it needs. Adani will go broke, leaving us with a humongous environmental remediation bill. And of course the Great Barrier Reef will be beyond repair.

Shorten, and his Labor mates have a golden opportunity to do something visionary that will be a net voter gain in all seats, marginal or not, but they have no vision whatsoever. Haven't even bothered trying to develop one. Lazy, unimaginative pricks. The more I think about it the more I become convinced that Labor deserves to lose the unloseable election on May the 18th. It's just a pity that the conservatives will have open slather continuing their raping and pillaging this land and us people.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:32 am

I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:00 am

Hermit wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 am
JimC wrote:
Do you really think more people care about the non-creation of 24.5 full time mining jobs than the likely destruction of the Great Barrier Reef? 22% of the blue-collar racists will be voting for Pauline Pantsdown's One Nation One People One Führer party anyway. Shorten will gain far more voters by telling Adani to fuck off than he'll lose.
Look, I agree - I think that the benefit to their vote Australia wide would be more than a possible loss in Queensland. But blue-collar union influence is still strong in the ALP, and rational decision making is not always part pf politics...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:35 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:00 am
Hermit wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 am
JimC wrote:
Look, I agree - I think that the benefit to their vote Australia wide would be more than a possible loss in Queensland. But blue-collar union influence is still strong in the ALP, and rational decision making is not always part pf politics...
I like your Ozzie comedy:
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world/20 ... anson.html
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4