Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post Reply
User avatar
Gonzo
For Sheriff
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:57 pm
Contact:

Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by Gonzo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:53 am

Don't go near that elevator - that's just what they want us to do... trap us in a steel box and take us down to the basement.


User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 9973
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Pre-Modernist
Location: Africa
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by rainbow » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:27 am

The US has been contaminating the world with Caesium 137 from Nuclear Weapons Testing, so it is just getting back a part of what they put into our environment:
948 PBq of Cs-137 was created by nuclear weapons testing. 603 PBq landed in the oceans. 310.6 PBq of that landed in the Pacific Ocean. Due to Cs-137's half-life of 30 years, by the time of Fukushima there was still 99.8 PBq in the Pacific. It is estimated Fukushima released 15~30 PBq of Cs-137. So Fukushima increased the Cs-137 content of the Pacific Ocean by 15~30%.
https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-fukus ... ons.t2962/
aingira usaina duzu

User avatar
Thumpalumpacus
Posts: 1350
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm
About me: Texan by birth, musician by nature, writer by avocation, freethinker by inclination.
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 pm

rainbow wrote:The US has been contaminating the world with Caesium 137 from Nuclear Weapons Testing, so it is just getting back a part of what they put into our environment:
948 PBq of Cs-137 was created by nuclear weapons testing. 603 PBq landed in the oceans. 310.6 PBq of that landed in the Pacific Ocean. Due to Cs-137's half-life of 30 years, by the time of Fukushima there was still 99.8 PBq in the Pacific. It is estimated Fukushima released 15~30 PBq of Cs-137. So Fukushima increased the Cs-137 content of the Pacific Ocean by 15~30%.
https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-fukus ... ons.t2962/
I'm sure the marine life in the Pacific appreciate the justification.
these are things we think we know
these are feelings we might even share
these are thoughts we hide from ourselves
these are secrets we cannot lay bare.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 63455
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by JimC » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:17 pm

rainbow wrote:The US has been contaminating the world with Caesium 137 from Nuclear Weapons Testing, so it is just getting back a part of what they put into our environment:
948 PBq of Cs-137 was created by nuclear weapons testing. 603 PBq landed in the oceans. 310.6 PBq of that landed in the Pacific Ocean. Due to Cs-137's half-life of 30 years, by the time of Fukushima there was still 99.8 PBq in the Pacific. It is estimated Fukushima released 15~30 PBq of Cs-137. So Fukushima increased the Cs-137 content of the Pacific Ocean by 15~30%.
https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-fukus ... ons.t2962/
This misses the point. The Caesium 137 from past bomb tests is evenly spread through the Pacific. The Caesium 137 from Fukushima, at least for a considerable time, was concentrated off the coast of Japan, where it could enter the local food chain in much higher concentrations.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Blind groper
Posts: 3997
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:10 am
About me: From New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by Blind groper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:13 am

It is all bullshit anyway.

The amounts of radiation coming from Fukushima are miniscule. Chernobyl produced far more radiation and far more radioactive isotopes, and its effects have been very limited. There is a 30 km exclusion radius around the Chernobyl plant, and 95% of that area is now an extremely successful wildlife refuge, with only a tiny area centred on the plant where radiation levels are harmful. There are even unmutated catfish living in the cooling ponds of the power plant itself.

Anyone who thinks the tiny amounts of radiation from Fukushima are going to cause harm thousands of kms away needs to rethink their illogic.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 63455
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:54 am

Blind groper wrote:It is all bullshit anyway.

The amounts of radiation coming from Fukushima are miniscule. Chernobyl produced far more radiation and far more radioactive isotopes, and its effects have been very limited. There is a 30 km exclusion radius around the Chernobyl plant, and 95% of that area is now an extremely successful wildlife refuge, with only a tiny area centred on the plant where radiation levels are harmful. There are even unmutated catfish living in the cooling ponds of the power plant itself.

Anyone who thinks the tiny amounts of radiation from Fukushima are going to cause harm thousands of kms away needs to rethink their illogic.
Thousands of km away, sure, I agree with you.

But it did produce radiation levels in local seafood well beyond safe limits, and will for years.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 21440
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:44 am
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by Hermit » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:49 am

If MiM were still around we'd get a professional opinion, something that is certainly not forthcoming from any of the three links in the OP.
Hermit wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:15 pm
People who quote themselves are either neurotic arseholes or inveterate trolls or both.

User avatar
JimC
The sentimental bloke
Posts: 63455
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:58 am
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:52 am

Hermit wrote:If MiM were still around we'd get a professional opinion, something that is certainly not forthcoming from any of the three links in the OP.
True, this...

But I'm certain I remember reading credible reports after the disaster which showed local fish had raised levels of radiation, to the point where they should not be consumed.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

User avatar
Blind groper
Posts: 3997
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:10 am
About me: From New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by Blind groper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:03 am

There is nothing more exaggerated in this world than the dangers of radiation.

Chernobyl is the worst nuclear accident this planet has seen, and it is mostly a fizzer. Greenpeace predicted literally millions of deaths from cancer. But the latest epidemiological report from the Ukraine is that there was no measurable increase in cancer rates at all, except for thyroid cancer. There were 6,000 extra cases, and 16 deaths. Based on these figures, the Chernobyl accident killed less than 60 people. By comparison, the worst hydroelectric accident (Banqiao dam burst in China in the 1970's) killed nearly 200,000 people and made 11 million homeless.

Fukushima is living up to the normal level of bullshit. This accident killed 3 people, all from industrial accidents, nothing nuclear. And it will probably cause no further deaths at all. Yet it is being held up as a major disaster. In my view, people are stooopid!

User avatar
rainbow
Posts: 9973
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am
About me: Pre-Modernist
Location: Africa
Contact:

Re: Radiation from Fukushima is spreading into North America

Post by rainbow » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:07 am

JimC wrote:
rainbow wrote:The US has been contaminating the world with Caesium 137 from Nuclear Weapons Testing, so it is just getting back a part of what they put into our environment:
948 PBq of Cs-137 was created by nuclear weapons testing. 603 PBq landed in the oceans. 310.6 PBq of that landed in the Pacific Ocean. Due to Cs-137's half-life of 30 years, by the time of Fukushima there was still 99.8 PBq in the Pacific. It is estimated Fukushima released 15~30 PBq of Cs-137. So Fukushima increased the Cs-137 content of the Pacific Ocean by 15~30%.
https://www.metabunk.org/debunked-fukus ... ons.t2962/
This misses the point. The Caesium 137 from past bomb tests is evenly spread through the Pacific. The Caesium 137 from Fukushima, at least for a considerable time, was concentrated off the coast of Japan, where it could enter the local food chain in much higher concentrations.
Does not.

The point is the Merkins are complaining about an accident when they did this deliberately.

Baskets! :irate:
aingira usaina duzu

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests