Social turmoil on its way?

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Social turmoil on its way?

Post by Blind groper » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:22 pm

This is taken from three book reviews in the latest New Scientist magazine, from 14 February, page 46.

These books predict a time coming when automation and robotics will take over almost all jobs. We know that some newspapers even today use a computer program to write news stories, based on incoming news reports. We know that manufacturing, due to automation and 3D printers, is likely to shed pretty much all workers jobs.

We are faced with the likelihood, that in a few decades (within the lifetime of most people on this forum), 99% of all the adults in our various societies will have no chance whatever of getting a job. The other 1% will be the very rich who can invest their money to make money.

I see no alternative to restructuring society. What as, is a subject for debate. The current capitalist system has worked well, but looks as if it will be a disaster for the future. But what do we replace it with, that will permit everyone to have a decent standard of living?

We need to note that productivity will rise. Producing food, clothing, and other goods and services for the multitude will be easy. But how do we reorganise ourselves to make sure that all those people get a fair share?

If we do nothing, then 99% of the population will starve. Such is a recipe for bloody revolution. What should we do to reorganise society?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Social turmoil on its way?

Post by JimC » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:29 pm

A major issue is that humans, by and large, are happier if they have at least some productive activities that achieve goals and get shit done. For most people, a lotus-eating existence is psychologically damaging (sure, the range of possible "activities" is huge, and they don't have to be structured like current jobs, but they have to have purpose and meaning...)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Warren Dew

Post by Warren Dew » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:34 pm

Kind of like the industrial revolution eliminated 99% of jobs. What do that 99% without jobs do today, anyway?

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:45 pm

Warren Dew wrote:Kind of like the industrial revolution eliminated 99% of jobs. What do that 99% without jobs do today, anyway?
I know what you are getting at, although it was nowhere near 99%. You are saying that new technologies at the time created new jobs as well as eliminating old ones.

However, there is no certainty that this pattern can continue indefinitely, particularly if robotics starts to eat into the "people caring for other people" type jobs...
And my gin!

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:08 pm

There are a couple of good videos in this thread on RatSkep about advances in technology, and particularly AI, that will make much of human labour obsolete. Interestingly in both of them there was a suggestion of a universal basic income as a sensible step to rebalancing society in light of this. Long term I see no reason why we shouldn't head towards a star-trek type society where all basic needs can so easily be provided for that people are freed to spend their time on self improvement and/or to contribute to society in whatever way they can for the betterment of all.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:36 am

Warren Dew wrote:Kind of like the industrial revolution eliminated 99% of jobs. What do that 99% without jobs do today, anyway?
As Jim said, I as well know what you are getting at. But I thinks it's very easy to argue the two are nothing like each other. The industrial revolution created new jobs for humans that the new machines couldn't do. This is different now, as machines will replace us for the thinking jobs as well. Once they can largely think for themselves, build themselves and program themselves, there's not much room left for the majority of people. This is a real dilemma. I can't remember who it was who famously said back in the 50's or 60's(?) that with technological advances and productivity increases we will all be able to enjoy a 2 day work week or the like. Unfortunately, that will never happen under capitalism. I'm really not sure what the answer is. I suspect societies will collapse well before the point that you get 30-40% unemployment, let alone 90%. There's other failings in capitalism and ecosystem management that will see a collapse from them before the "rise of the machines". But if we don't collapse, then we will definitely be a mess once we get widespread machine automation and intelligence.
Last edited by pErvinalia on Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:37 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:There are a couple of good videos in this thread on RatSkep about advances in technology, and particularly AI, that will make much of human labour obsolete. Interestingly in both of them there was a suggestion of a universal basic income as a sensible step to rebalancing society in light of this. Long term I see no reason why we shouldn't head towards a star-trek type society where all basic needs can so easily be provided for that people are freed to spend their time on self improvement and/or to contribute to society in whatever way they can for the betterment of all.
That's the utopia, but the competitive capitalist profit motive and the insidious doctrine of neoliberalism will make it exceedingly hard to get to that point.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

piscator

Post by piscator » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:08 am

PsychoSerenity wrote:There are a couple of good videos in this thread on RatSkep about advances in technology, and particularly AI, that will make much of human labour obsolete. Interestingly in both of them there was a suggestion of a universal basic income as a sensible step to rebalancing society in light of this. Long term I see no reason why we shouldn't head towards a star-trek type society where all basic needs can so easily be provided for that people are freed to spend their time on self improvement and/or to contribute to society in whatever way they can for the betterment of all.
Artificial shortages and rentseeking is the future, son. You'll all work in either food service, entertainment, or military service to buy what robots spin up from sunlight and protect with copyright. It's already here.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:21 am

When men are not doing anything productive they return to their ape-like instincts of wanting to be a warrior on the hunt, fighting the other team and following the leader with the loudest voice. This will be normalised and re-packaged as entertainment - similar to The Hunger Games. What will happen is the very rich and their brown-nosers will live in castles of modern design....whilst techies keep the machines running and war will wage feudal style between these fortresses of modernity. It'll be like a sci-fi dystopia/utopia depending your luck and allegiances. Make a good movie. That's how it'll be. Most can't stand doing nothing for long periods like a damn monk - prefer to shoot at the other guy. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:02 am

Scumple, I reckon you could make a good living writing scripts for dystopia entertainment... :tup:
And my gin!

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:57 am

I think some of the first jobs to go will be drivers and prostitutes.

Robot cars and trucks are already here, and can only get better, and that goes for prozzies too.

Having said that, once your car can drive you home safely, the pubs will get a new lease of life, as drinking and driving will be a thing of the past.
So I'm predicting pubs full of ex truck drivers and prozzies. Should be fun.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 am

Society does a pretty good job of reorganising itself as and when required, without any need for intrrvention. Humans are resourceful and adaptable. They tend to change their daily routine a bit if the alternative is starving to death.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:13 am

Pappa wrote:Society does a pretty good job of reorganising itself as and when required, without any need for intrrvention. Humans are resourceful and adaptable. They tend to change their daily routine a bit if the alternative is starving to death.
:this:

...but only up to a certain point. I have no idea whether future crises will push us beyond that point, and neither does any other pundit...
And my gin!

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:18 am

In the Nordic countries, or at least in Finland, we have already for some time had a serious debate on whether to go for universal basic income or not. We are paying benefits to the unemployed anyway, so in some ways you can argue that we have it already. At least in the beginning this would be very small, only providing a very basic living, but I kind of believe this is the way society will go sooner or later, and maybe sometime in the future this income would be big enough to provide even a decent living.

One would think that the rich would understand that it is in their own interest to keep the masses tolerably happy, instead of having to fence them off in increasingly brutal ways :ask:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:29 am

MiM wrote:
In the Nordic countries, or at least in Finland, we have already for some time had a serious debate on whether to go for universal basic income or not. We are paying benefits to the unemployed anyway, so in some ways you can argue that we have it already. At least in the beginning this would be very small, only providing a very basic living, but I kind of believe this is the way society will go sooner or later, and maybe sometime in the future this income would be big enough to provide even a decent living.

One would think that the rich would understand that it is in their own interest to keep the masses tolerably happy, instead of having to fence them off in increasingly brutal ways :ask:
In some cases, the rich only learn that lesson as they are being hung from lamp posts...
And my gin!