I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Theoretical Ebola spread based on 1.86 infection rate

Post by mistermack » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm

JimC wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:
MrJonno wrote:This is why you should carry handguns, let those little ebola bugs take on Seth if they dare
I think the blood spatter would render this course of action rather useless ... plus, by the time Ebola becomes seriously symptomatic, you don't have to bother with firearms, because the victims are usually too incapacitated. Your problems begin with the fact that Ebola doesn't become seriously symptomatic until about 7 days into the infection, and it's possible for non-symptomatic people early in the stages of infection to pass on the virus. Though at the moment, there's no evidence, as far as I'm aware, of aerosol transmission being a major infection route. The moment the virus acquires the mutations facilitating this, then we're in deep shit.

Isn't evolution wonderful, baby?
There was a thriller by Tom Clancy (Executive Orders) that envisaged a bio-war attack by Iran on the US, using a strain of Ebola modified for aerosol transmission...
I think Clancy must have missed the rather obvious flaw in that plot. Ebola can't be programmed to only infect Iranians. Unless that WAS the plot.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Well, my property portfolio is going to take a big hit, but OTOH there will be lots to eat, even if it has to be well, well done.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 am

There have been outbreaks in the DRC before. The approach was rather brutal, in that the infected villages were isolated and the disease allowed to burn out. Effective but not very nice if you happen to be in an affected area.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 pm

What the actual fuck? A British guy caught Ebola in Africa, so they brought him BACK to Britain. So now we have Ebola in the UK. What is wrong with these people?
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:09 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:What the actual fuck? A British guy caught Ebola in Africa, so they brought him BACK to Britain. So now we have Ebola in the UK. What is wrong with these people?
If it were done with the right technological precautions, it should not be a problem.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:11 pm

JimC wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:What the actual fuck? A British guy caught Ebola in Africa, so they brought him BACK to Britain. So now we have Ebola in the UK. What is wrong with these people?
If it were done with the right technological precautions, it should not be a problem.
I have visions of the scene in ET when the government people descend on the house in their hundreds.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 am

"These people" have an understanding of the disease, unlike yourself. There's exceedingly little threat to healthy westerners with good healthcare and effective bio-quarantine.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:15 am

I love it when you pretend to know stuff.

The guy in question is medical staff himself, genius. Apparently it's beyond your imagination that other healthcare staff could catch it from him in turn.

These people can't even control the spread of MRSA. But let's trust them with something like Ebola. How could it possibly go wrong.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:50 am

MRSA meets Ebola and they have offspring. :crumple:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:49 am

Scumple wrote:MRSA meets Ebola and they have offspring. :crumple:
Biological ignorance at its finest... :roll:

MRSA is a bacteria, Ebola is a virus...

May I suggest you go and attempt to breed with a giant squid?
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:20 am

JimC wrote:
Scumple wrote:MRSA meets Ebola and they have offspring. :crumple:
Biological ignorance at its finest... :roll:

MRSA is a bacteria, Ebola is a virus...

May I suggest you go and attempt to breed with a giant squid?
A virus is a bacterium without its coat. Broke the species barrier. Oops. :read:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 am

Strontium Dog wrote:I love it when you pretend to know stuff.

The guy in question is medical staff himself, genius. Apparently it's beyond your imagination that other healthcare staff could catch it from him in turn.

These people can't even control the spread of MRSA. But let's trust them with something like Ebola. How could it possibly go wrong.
Medical staff in frontline care in the 3rd world are not comparable to medical staff in the first world with world's best quarantining procedures. Surely your pea brain can handle that? Tell you what, lets see if this guy starts an epidemic in the UK. When it doesn't will you finally shut your ignorant cake hole?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:35 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:
Strontium Dog wrote:I love it when you pretend to know stuff.

Medical staff in frontline care in the 3rd world are not comparable to medical staff in the first world with world's best quarantining procedures. Surely your pea brain can handle that? Tell you what, lets see if this guy starts an epidemic in the UK. When it doesn't will you finally shut your ignorant cake hole?
Yes, we all know how good quarantining in the first world is, which is why nobody ever catches disease here. Oh wait.

You are a fine one to talk about pea-brained ignorance. Whether he starts an epidemic or not is not the point. He probably won't. That doesn't mean that it doesn't represent a risk. Do you even know what risk is? Protip: it's not just a board game where you get to act out your fantasies of being communist world leader.

MrJonno

Post by MrJonno » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:09 pm

Ebola is a very poor end of the world disease, I'm afraid the Libertarian's have to pray/try harder to get that
When only criminals carry guns the police know exactly who to shoot!