German city dumping OpenOffice for Microsoft

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Re: German city dumping OpenOffice for Microsoft

Post by Robert_S » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
amused wrote:Heh, I started out with Supercalc and Wordstar, on an Osborne. :cranky:
I still have files in Wordstar format. Tough to find a translator for that format any more, though i suppose I could write one.
Simplest solution might be to just find an ancient 286 that hasn't had its 20 meg hard drive wiped.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:23 pm

Robert_S wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
amused wrote:Heh, I started out with Supercalc and Wordstar, on an Osborne. :cranky:
I still have files in Wordstar format. Tough to find a translator for that format any more, though i suppose I could write one.
Simplest solution might be to just find an ancient 286 that hasn't had its 20 meg hard drive wiped.
Better still: Get/build a DOS virtual machine (probably using DOSBox), and download a suitable copy of Wordstar from here:

http://retrocomputing.eu/info/doslife/stuff.html

... or maybe here:

http://winworldpc.com/library.shtml
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 pm

klr wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Better still: Get/build a DOS virtual machine (probably using DOSBox), and download a suitable copy of Wordstar from here:

http://retrocomputing.eu/info/doslife/stuff.html

... or maybe here:

http://winworldpc.com/library.shtml
It won't have the nostalgia value of resurrecting one of those olde beasts, especially if it has the "Turbo" button! :awesome:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

SteveB
Nibbler
About me: The more you change the less you feel

Post by SteveB » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:34 pm

I'm gonna either try Libre or Open on my new computer cuz I was too cheap to buy Word.
Twit, twat, twaddle.
hadespussercats wrote:I've been de-sigged! :(

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Ah the good old 'Turbo Button' - or more accurately the 'slow my machine down' button. Best marketing spin ever. :tup:

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Image :teef:

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:17 pm

Pord, is that (a younger) you? Do you have problems with neck pain? ('cause that photo presents an ergonomic nightmare...)
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:33 am

No.. not me. My first, personal, machine was a 286 with a monochrome video adapter and an orange tinted screen (I eventually upgraded to a CGA adapter and monitor!). I mostly played Sopwith on it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:21 am

Just downloaded Open Office. We have a Word 2000 disc but it was not in its case.

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:04 pm

PordFrefect wrote:No.. not me. My first, personal, machine was a 286 with a monochrome video adapter and an orange tinted screen (I eventually upgraded to a CGA adapter and monitor!). I mostly played Sopwith on it.

Sopwith! Blast from the past!

:)
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!