US Prez Election 2012 Thread - Social Darwinism derail

Warren Dew

Re: US Prez Election 2012 Thread - Opinions and Discussions

Post by Warren Dew » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:05 am

maiforpeace wrote:
mistermack wrote: would start with a spelling test.
Like whether the weather be hot, or whether the weather be cold, we'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether there's weather or not.

You failed.
That's not very descent of you. :biggrin:
To the contrary, he's descending to ridicule as an argument. Or did you misspell something?

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:11 am

maiforpeace wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
drewish wrote:So don't use IQ. Go find me ANY standardized test that you want and we'll use that. The disagreement is NOT over whether people of African decent are well behind others in regards to intelligence, but rather why. I want the truth, political correctness be damned!
It's genetic.
Some of the earliest IQ studies where of Blacks of varying admixture (pure through quadroons) going to an all black school, living in an all black neighborhood. The more white admixture, the closer they were to the white average. The Minnesota trans-racial adoption study should have put the question to rest.

If there was some "magic" social change that could make a difference it would have been found by now after all the money spent and research done.
How comforting, knowing you aren't alone in your racist views. :ddpan:
I have zero doubt that any of the 'studies' that 'prove' racial inferiority will have been concocted by racists trying to prove their point. Superficial differences such as skin color are just that, superficial.

White supremacist libertarians are just an embarrassment to watch.

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:12 am

Warren Dew wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:
Like whether the weather be hot, or whether the weather be cold, we'll weather the weather, whatever the weather, whether there's weather or not.

You failed.
To the contrary, he's descending to ridicule as an argument. Or did you misspell something?
You missed something.
maiforpeace wrote:
mistermack wrote:
Drewish wrote: So don't use IQ. Go find me ANY standardized test that you want and we'll use that. The disagreement is NOT over wether people of African decent are well behind others in regards to intelligence, but rather why. I want the truth, political correctness be damned!
I would start with a spelling test.

You failed.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:25 am

amused wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
drewish wrote:So don't use IQ. Go find me ANY standardized test that you want and we'll use that. The disagreement is NOT over whether people of African decent are well behind others in regards to intelligence, but rather why. I want the truth, political correctness be damned!
It's genetic.
Some of the earliest IQ studies where of Blacks of varying admixture (pure through quadroons) going to an all black school, living in an all black neighborhood. The more white admixture, the closer they were to the white average. The Minnesota trans-racial adoption study should have put the question to rest.

If there was some "magic" social change that could make a difference it would have been found by now after all the money spent and research done.
I have zero doubt that any of the 'studies' that 'prove' racial inferiority will have been concocted by racists trying to prove their point. Superficial differences such as skin color are just that, superficial.

I do live in a bubble - having such close contact with this view is more shockingly abhorrent than an embarrassment to me at the moment.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:33 am

Warren Dew wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:

You failed.
On the contrary, I was pointing out that claiming IQ tests are a true measure of intelligence is just as ridiculous as claiming that spelling tests are.

The ridicule isn't an argument, it's there to illustrate the weakness of an argument.
Failing a spelling test doesn't mean you're unintelligent. Nor does getting a low score on an IQ test.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Warren Dew

Post by Warren Dew » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:39 am

FBM wrote:It might be helpful to distinguish between evolution, a very, very slow process, and social darwinism, which is much closer to what certain racist philosophies describe: http://www.allaboutscience.org/what-is- ... sm-faq.htm
Evolution can be fast when the selection pressure is high. In those areas of the world where completed fertility is in the range of 6, people who are genetically predisposed to stick to 2 kids per couple are going to be selected out in a couple of decades.

Quite possibly this has already happened to a significant extent within the past century in some places.

Warren Dew

Post by Warren Dew » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:43 am

maiforpeace wrote:You missed something.
Ah, you're right. Serves me right for not reading the posts in order.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:46 am

Warren Dew wrote:
FBM wrote:It might be helpful to distinguish between evolution, a very, very slow process, and social darwinism, which is much closer to what certain racist philosophies describe: http://www.allaboutscience.org/what-is- ... sm-faq.htm
Evolution can be fast when the selection pressure is high. In those areas of the world where completed fertility is in the range of 6, people who are genetically predisposed to stick to 2 kids per couple are going to be selected out in a couple of decades.

Quite possibly this has already happened to a significant extent within the past century in some places.
If so, geneticists should easily be able to uncover some evidence for it. I haven't seen any such evidence, and until I do I don't see any reason to consider such talk as anachronistic expressions of social darwinism by people who haven't yet heard that it's a failed theory.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:47 am

amused wrote:
maiforpeace wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
It's genetic.

Speaking of embarrassment, do you ever read what you write?
You demonstrate no concept of evolutionary inheritance, and repeat the tired old canard that IQ is merely related to skin color. Why don't you do everyone a favor and at least do some cursory research into the subject so that your ignorance is not so glaring.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 am

Warren Dew wrote:
FBM wrote: In those areas of the world where completed fertility is in the range of 6, people who are genetically predisposed to stick to 2 kids per couple are going to be selected out in a couple of decades.
How on earth can you be genetically predisposed to stick to 2 kids?
Socially predisposed, yes, but GENETICALLY?

How come our genes are so different to those of our ancestors from 200 years ago, in that case?
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:52 am

FBM wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:

If so, geneticists should easily be able to uncover some evidence for it. I haven't seen any such evidence, and until I do I don't see any reason to consider such talk as anachronistic expressions of social Darwinism by people who haven't yet heard that it's a failed theory.
Intelligence is the culmination of multiple genes and their expressions, there is no single gene that determines intelligence. But give it a few more decades of genetic research and we'll probably have a scientific answer on why some humans are smarter than others. Then we just need statistic.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:53 am

mistermack wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
FBM wrote: In those areas of the world where completed fertility is in the range of 6, people who are genetically predisposed to stick to 2 kids per couple are going to be selected out in a couple of decades.
How on earth can you be genetically predisposed to stick to 2 kids?
Socially predisposed, yes, but GENETICALLY?

How come our genes are so different to those of our ancestors from 200 years ago, in that case?
Because genes both dictate fertility and behavior. Do you even believe in or understand evolution :hehe:
Last edited by Tyrannical on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warren Dew

Post by Warren Dew » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:55 am

Tyrannical wrote:It's genetic.
That fails to explain the German children of American GIs study that showed that children of black American GIs in the postwar period had the same average IQ as children of white American GIs. To me, when you combine that result with the Minnesota twins study, the conclusion has to be that it's cultural expectations that are driving the IQ differences.

Not that that changes drewish's concerns. The fact that people on welfare have more children than people who work to support themselves is still a problem. Of course, that problem has an easy fix: change the welfare system so it doesn't inentivize having frequent children, and change the tax system so it doesn't penalize children in working households.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 am

Oversimplification, I think. Genetics isn't the only determiner of intelligence. Nutrition and environmental factors weigh heavily on a population's average intelligence. Furthermore, cultural factors weigh even more heavily on a group's average performance on standardized IQ tests. Such tests made by Western standards and based on Western culture would be alien and incomprehensible to distant groups for reasons other than intelligence.

To wit, aborigines in various countries know the names and various properties of thousands of plants and animals, as well as their seasonal behaviors. A Western person would struggle to approach what they would consider even rudimentary mastery of such information. I don't see any innate lack of intelligence in such cultures or peoples.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:08 am

Warren Dew wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:It's genetic.
That fails to explain the German children of American GIs study that showed that children of black American GIs in the postwar period had the same average IQ as children of white American GIs. To me, when you combine that result with the Minnesota twins study, the conclusion has to be that it's cultural expectations that are driving the IQ differences.

Not that that changes drewish's concerns. The fact that people on welfare have more children than people who work to support themselves is still a problem. Of course, that problem has an easy fix: change the welfare system so it doesn't inentivize having frequent children, and change the tax system so it doesn't penalize children in working households.
Well, I'd like to see that study. I assume they have IQ results for the parents? The military in the US has long done competency testing, so this result may be just the result of eliminating the low IQ blacks.