You Don't Bring Super Sonic Missiles to a Gun Fight

Gawd

You Don't Bring Super Sonic Missiles to a Gun Fight

Post by Gawd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 am

Don’t Expect The World’s Navies to Save You from Pirates
The pirate infested waters off of Somalia are now patrolled by 34 warships from 15 nations, a coalition determined to stop the brigands. But the grisly murders of four Americans aboard a captured yacht shows that the anti-pirate coalition can’t protect every seafarer, even when it takes early action to free hostages.

Those, at least, are the early conclusions that the U.S. Navy is drawing. The pirates that captured the S/V Quest on Friday were about 100 miles from the Somali northern coast, midway to an Indian Ocean island called Socotra that Yemen controls. But that’s practically their backyard. Despite the efforts of the anti-piracy coalition, the pirates’ reach has actually expanded — “all the way up into the North Arabian Sea, off of the coast of India, down to Madagascar,” Vice Adm. Mark Fox, commander of the U.S. Fifth Fleet, told reporters yesterday.

Early on Tuesday, a rocket propelled grenade hurtled from the Quest to the Sterett, followed by the sounds of gunfire — what Fox believes was the execution of the hostages. A raiding team of Special Operations Forces had yet to fire its guns or come aboard the Quest, leading Fox to tell reporters that the U.S. couldn’t have killed the hostages by mistake during the ensuing battle. That raiding team shot one pirate dead, killed another with a knife, and took the remaining 13 prisoner. Even before it boarded, Fox said, “several pirates appeared on deck and moved up to the bow with their hands in the air in surrender.”

So at least some of the pirates were negotiating — and even surrendering. The Navy brought overwhelming force: an aircraft carrier, two destroyers and a guided missile cruiser. But despite the seemingly-rational hijackers and the U.S. Navy’s big-time advantage, the pirates still killed their hostages.......
I think this is a good example of American efficiency: an aircraft carrier, two destroyers and a guided missile cruiser was required to follow 15 guys on a low speed yacht. No wonder Osama bin Laden can't be found.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/02 ... m-pirates/

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: You Don't Bring Super Sonic Missiles to a Gun Fight

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 am

Oddly enough, that carrier battlegroup is a standard unit that would be fine for supporting SEALs if it was the closest available force. SEALs fly in, land on the carrier, they're helo'd over to a tin can. The can gets them within R.I.B. range and they go in.

Excellent example of talking out your ass again, Gawd.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawd

Post by Gawd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Gawdzilla, don't you ever get embarrassed at the American way of doing things? This was an entire American naval fleet that was following a lowly yacht. One armed naval ship I can understand, but when you send in a whole fleet consisting of 10,000+ soldiers armed with super sonic missiles after a few guys on a low speed yacht with no where to go, it's just idiotic. No wonder a few groups of backyard pirates can take on the entire US Navy.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Gawd wrote:Gawdzilla, don't you ever get embarrassed at the American way of doing things? This was an entire American naval fleet that was following a lowly yacht. One armed naval ship I can understand, but when you send in a whole fleet consisting of 10,000+ soldiers armed with super sonic missiles after a few guys on a low speed yacht with no where to go, it's just idiotic. No wonder a few groups of backyard pirates can take on the entire US Navy.
Well, you see, I'm not stupid, so I'm not surprised that they send a unit like that. It was in the area, it could handle any contingencies. Appalling asinine judgments of the situation happen when the speaker doesn't know a fucking thing about military operations and yet STILL INSISTS ON MAKING AN ASS OF THEMSELVES EXPOUNDING ON A TOPIC THEY'RE TOTALLY IGNORANT OF.

Gawd

Post by Gawd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Gawd wrote:Gawdzilla, don't you ever get embarrassed at the American way of doing things? This was an entire American naval fleet that was following a lowly yacht. One armed naval ship I can understand, but when you send in a whole fleet consisting of 10,000+ soldiers armed with super sonic missiles after a few guys on a low speed yacht with no where to go, it's just idiotic. No wonder a few groups of backyard pirates can take on the entire US Navy.
Well, you see, I'm not stupid, so I'm not surprised that they send a unit like that. It was in the area, it could handle any contingencies. Appalling asinine judgments of the situation happen when the speaker doesn't know a fucking thing about military operations and yet STILL INSISTS ON MAKING AN ASS OF THEMSELVES EXPOUNDING ON A TOPIC THEY'RE TOTALLY IGNORANT OF.
Sure, why don't you just send in a few more naval fleets into the area. You'll have the capability to protect 5 civilian boats at a time before draining the entire US Navy! What you don't understand is tactics and strategy. Just like in Vietnam, Americans don't know how to fight.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

cranio-rectal inversion noted.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Gawd wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Sure, why don't you just send in a few more naval fleets into the area. You'll have the capability to protect 5 civilian boats at a time before draining the entire US Navy! What you don't understand is tactics and strategy. Just like in Vietnam, Americans don't know how to fight.
For once I almost agree with you. I will regret saying that one day I am sure. However I differ from you in one key respect:

They sure as hell know how to fight. 'Shock and fucking awe' is they way they know best.

Just lately though they have forgotten how to win.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 pm

Rum, that unit was probably up in the Gulf and was sortied down there to support operations. It's a quick run from the Straits to Somali waters.

Gawd

Post by Gawd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 pm

The only thing that shocks and fucking awes me about America is the deficit. And by "lately", do you mean 60 years?

Gawd

Post by Gawd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:Rum, that unit was probably up in the Gulf and was sortied down there to support operations. It's a quick run from the Straits to Somali waters.
You don't get the idea of guerrilla warfare, do you?

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Gawd wrote:Gawdzilla, don't you ever get embarrassed at the American way of doing things?
Why would he? Or, Americans in general? If we make more mistakes it's because we do more of the trying. Our successes as a nation, however, are extraordinary.
Gawd wrote: This was an entire American naval fleet that was following a lowly yacht. One armed naval ship I can understand, but when you send in a whole fleet consisting of 10,000+ soldiers armed with super sonic missiles after a few guys on a low speed yacht with no where to go, it's just idiotic. No wonder a few groups of backyard pirates can take on the entire US Navy.
The pirates "took on" four retirees from East Bumfuck Kansas and murdered two little old ladies and their decrepit husbands. That's what they "took on."

Gawd

Post by Gawd » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:55 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Gawd wrote: This was an entire American naval fleet that was following a lowly yacht. One armed naval ship I can understand, but when you send in a whole fleet consisting of 10,000+ soldiers armed with super sonic missiles after a few guys on a low speed yacht with no where to go, it's just idiotic. No wonder a few groups of backyard pirates can take on the entire US Navy.
The pirates "took on" four retirees from East Bumfuck Kansas and murdered two little old ladies and their decrepit husbands. That's what they "took on."
The pirates did no such thing. They "regretfully" shot them in self-dense after the retirees attacked them, just like how Israel "regretfully" shot the Gaza Flotilla activists. In case you don't get it, I'm mocking how Obama treated Israeli piracy.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Gawd wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:Rum, that unit was probably up in the Gulf and was sortied down there to support operations. It's a quick run from the Straits to Somali waters.
You don't get the idea of guerrilla warfare, do you?
You have no clue what piracy is about. It's the money, chump.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:02 pm

Gawd wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
For a country that doesn't know how to fight, you sure claim we have a big enough "Empire."

Fuck, dude - make up your mind....are we an ineffectual, weak nation, or are we an Empire that rules most of the world?

Coming from a Muslim this "don't know how to fight" crack is a real laugher - you dipshits can't even conquer Israel, and you've been after it for over 60 years now! LOL.... what a joke! Remember that Six Day War? LOL.... Six Day War.... ya'll got your smellin' asses whooped as usual. The only thing a Muslim can fight is another Muslim - that's why you're good at rioting, and bombing the wrong kind of Muslim's mosques. Sunnis can kick the ass out of Shias, but let them go up against a real fighter and they go running into caves and start strapping bombs to their children.

What's your war cry again? "Looo looo loo looo loo!!! Loo looo loo looo!!!"

Why don't you fuckers roll another cripple off the back of a hijacked cruise ship or blow up another civilian airliner. Damn! You's battle tactics is amayzingggg!

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Gawd wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
The pirates did no such thing. They "regretfully" shot them in self-dense after the retirees attacked them, just like how Israel "regretfully" shot the Gaza Flotilla activists. In case you don't get it, I'm mocking how Obama treated Israeli piracy.
Just like a Muslim -- take two unrelated events and draw a false equality by changing the facts of one so that they match the other. In other words - "lie."

That's what you folks do, isn't it? Lie to the Khafir? Right?

I don't give a fuck what you're mocking. Israel didn't engage in piracy. That's another thing your Muslim brain doesn't get. Israel enforcing a blockade is not piracy. Get the difference?

Your heroes shot four defenseless old people in cold blood. They didn't do it by accident, and they didn't do it "regretfully" and they were not attacked by the unarmed pensioners. They killed them mercilessly, in cold blood, just following the Imam's orders, I'm sure. Fatwa and all. Must obey, submission, ay what what.