The Murder of Delara Darabi

Arse

The Murder of Delara Darabi

Post by Arse » Sat May 02, 2009 5:19 am

Delara Darabi was executed in secret in Rasht Prison May 1 2009, without prior notification given to her attorney. She was sentenced to death for a murder that happened during a break-in when she was 17 years old.

According to Delara Darabi the murder of her father's female cousin was committed by her 19 year old boyfriend Amir Hossein Sotoudeh, whom she was in love with. Delara initially confessed to the murder, but soon retracted her confession. She claimed that Amir Hossein asked her to admit responsibility for the murder to protect him from execution, believing that since she was under the age of 18, she could not be sentenced to death.

Delara Darabi's death sentence was given by a lower court in the northern city of Rasht. Branch 107 (juvenile court) confirmed her execution in her second trial and yet again in Branch 33 of the Supreme Court.

Amir Hossein received a prison sentence of 10 years for his involvement in the crime. Amnesty International has made several public statements public statements (scroll down) about Delara.

Delara Darabi was originally scheduled to be executed April 20, but her execution was stayed and postponed for two months by the head of the judiciary after massive domestic and international pressure. But then she was unexpectingly executed less than two weeks later, in what was probably a cynical move by the Iranian authorities to avoid more protests. Her attorney was not informed in advance, to avoid news about the execution leaking out.

Delara was a talented artist and used paintings to express her feelings. In 2006 there was an exhibition of her paintings in Tehran.

In January 20, 2007 Delara attempted suicide by cutting her wrists, however her cell-mate noticed the incident and called for help. Delara's was rushed to the hospital, where she was revived.

http://www.stopchildexecutions.com/Delara.aspx

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Re: The Murder of Delara Darabi

Post by Chinaski » Sat May 02, 2009 7:28 am

This is disgusting. Makes me furious.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun May 03, 2009 5:19 pm

The cynical taking of a human life because of dubious confessions is something that never fails to catch in my craw. Cunts.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Arse

Post by Arse » Sun May 03, 2009 8:59 pm

All executions are horrible, and a horrendous waste of life. If the person is innocent then it is always worse, but I think the execution of a 19 year old talented artist is even more of a loss still. I can't justify that on moral grounds, but it is what I think.

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Sun May 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Human rights? These fuckers haven't a clue.

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."