BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

DRSB

Re: BREXIT! BREXIT! BREXIT!

Post by DRSB » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:43 am

Go there guys, it is not going to stay low-cost forever!
As the wrangling over how Britain should leave the EU reaches fever pitch, one country is already experiencing a Brexit dividend: Bulgaria.

Resorts in the south-eastern European country have seen a surge in bookings from British holidaymakers as families seek out alternative summer destinations.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... an-resorts

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 pm

(Edit: response to SD’s last post.)

I’m not a Brexitee. I’m getting a tad tired of saying so.

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:43 pm

I was referring to Brexiteers in the general sense not you personally.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Using the term ‘you Brexiteers’ hardly makes that clear.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Rum wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:17 pm
...an unnecessary generalisation. Most English people I know are quite nice and opposed to Brexit.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm

Sorry it was not intended.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:55 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:51 pm
Sorry it was not intended.
Fairy Nuff :cheer:
BArF−4

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:17 pm

I think there are certainly arguments to be made on both sides of the Brexit debate.

There is some fear-mongering among the anti-Brexiter forces, though, that raise a red flag for me. It's gloom and disaster predictions, and used car salesman tactics (better sign here, this deal won't be available tomorrow).

A no deal Brexit would mean, I think, that the UK can fall into WTO trade terms, that would allow the UK to strike more favorable trade deals with developing countries that would are bound by EU rules in trade with the EU. 90 per cent of world GDP growth will come from outside the EU in 2020 and beyond, so the UK can succeed in trade matters all over the place. UK trade under WTO rules should be at least as good after Brexit as it was before, shouldn't it?

Trade under WTO rules for a time, and then strike a new comprehensive trade deal between the UK and the EU. It's no wonder the EU is railing against that now, wanting a sweetheart "soft brexit" deal now -- because the UK's position only appears to get stronger once they're out. When the sky does not fall after March, and a year goes by and the UK world trade is still doing well, the UK will be in a nice negotiating posture with the EU on a separate trade deal.

Is Brexit really something to fear? I think a telling feature is how enraged and "chicken little-esque" non-Brits (Euro-continentals) are over the issue. If this was really a no-biggie for Europe, and total disaster for the UK, they'd not be concerned at all. They'd know the Brits would have to come back, hat-in-hand, later on down the line. I suspect they know that the UK has as much or more to gain by Brexit.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm

rainbow wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Rum wrote:
...an unnecessary generalisation. Most English people I know are quite nice and opposed to Brexit.
Most English people I know are quite nice, including those who are in favor of Brexit.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:18 pm
rainbow wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Rum wrote:
Most English people I know are quite nice, including those who are in favor of Brexit.
Hard to believe. Brexiteers are in my experience either stupid or racist, even both.
BArF−4

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:28 pm

I don't find stupidity more prevalent among Brexiters as compared to anti-Brexiters. I also don't find stupid people to necessarily be less "nice" than non-stupid people (present company excepted :rimshot:).

I also have seen nothing to suggest that Britain has such a stupid and racist population that those voting in favor were either on of those things.

What is more typical is that some political factions invariably characterize their political opponents as either stupid, or evil, or both. Your view on it seems consistent with that practice.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:31 pm

How many English people do you know anyway? Are there enough in your milieu that not only are "most" of them nice and against Brexit, while the minority non-nice, pro-Brexiters are sufficient in number for you to make that generalization?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:25 pm

It is true to say that the liberal, liberal left and intellectual classes tended to vote ‘remain’ and many poorer areas, poorer conservative (and some labour too) constituencies, which benefited significantly from projects funded by the EU voted leave.

That sort of info was not widely circulated prior to the vote, though it was there to be found. Instead the leave campaign posted giant hoarding posters of people queueing to get into the UK from Turkey, which they, in a criminal exploitation of speculative fact and unjustified xenophobia (they ain’t joining any time soon), influenced those who don’t perhaps look past or examine their own prejudices.

Does that make less nice or stupid? Probably as a rule of thumb just a tad more so than the average remainer.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Well, one might wish to consider the possibility that the forces behind the remain campaign might likewise have been advancing less than completely honest and less than completely informative items in support of their position.

Didn't Remainers say British immigration officers would be thrown out of France, and that we’d have migration camps in Kent, that there would be an "emergency punishment budget," each family would be like 4300 pounds poorer if Brexit went through, the stock market would collapse.... Germany warned that the UK would be treated like a third world country...

The punishment budget, the breakup of the United Kingdom and even the end of Western civilization as we know it — all were prophesied by the Remain campaign during the Brexit referendum and denounced as "Project Fear" by Leavers. George Osborne predicted "financial instability" and leave "no economic plan," which would need an immediate response from the government. "There would have to be increases in tax and cuts in public spending to fill the black hole," - didn't happen. David Cameron said he'd stay on as PM if Leave won - he resigned like the day after.

European Council President Donald Tusk said a vote to leave the EU would boost anti-European forces. "As a historian I fear Brexit could be the beginning of the destruction of not only the EU but also Western political civilization in its entirety," https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKCN0YZ0Q9

My personal recollection of the lead-up to the refererndum vote was that the Remain forces were in hysterics. They were hammering on the fear campaign - the UK would break up, the UK would suffer economic collapse, there would be terrible consequences, it might lead to more exits from the EU and the loss of the EU entirely - there would be no real bilateral or multilateral treaty options for the UK - trade would grind to a halt - dogs and cats, living together, mass hysteria!

If the Leavers were making up fibs, I didn't see much in the way of dispassionate truths coming out of Remainer mouths....

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:04 pm

As a remainer I deny any liability!

‘Project fear’ was a factor on both sides, though the leave camps whipped up more in the way of xenophobic anxieties, so in that respect they could be accused of appealing to some pretty base instincts.

The truth of the matter is that nobody knew what the vote really meant. Even now ‘leave’ and its consequences aren’t clear. Imagine the complexity of one of your larger American states leaving the Union. Europe might not be quite as integrated as the US but it gives a flavour of the unravelling that will be required.

Prior to the referendum people were making it up as they went along.