The state of the UK

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: The state of the UK

Post by JimC » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:50 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:00 am
Did he actually do that, or is this channelling Black Mirror?
Someone should conjure the ghost of the dead pig, and ask it...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:04 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:00 am
Did he actually do that, or is this channelling Black Mirror?
Uncorroborated anecdote. It doesn't ring true, but if it is, I hope the live participant enjoyed the experience.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:27 am

It must have been where Black Mirror got the inspiration.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:30 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:27 am
It must have been where Black Mirror got the inspiration.
The anecdote surfaced four years after that Black Mirror episode.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:51 am

Seabass wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:23 am
I used to get pretty fucked up back in the day, but I never fucked a dead animal in the head... :?
I'll admit to having skullfucking fantasies, but always about people I thoroughly hated.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:37 am

TMI !
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:43 pm

Oh oh Arlene!! The wee hairy has decided to quit.

Arlene Foster to quit as DUP leader and Northern Ireland first minister
Foster says she will stand aside as DUP leader on 28 May and as first minister a month later

Arlene Foster has announced she is stepping down as leader of the Democratic Unionist party and Northern Ireland’s first minister after a sudden internal party revolt.

Foster issued a statement on Wednesday afternoon saying she would step aside as DUP leader on 28 May and as first minister at the end of June, casting fresh tumult in a region hit by protests over the post-Brexit Irish Sea border.

The announcement came just a day after most of the DUP’s 27 Stormont assembly members and reportedly four of its eight Westminster MPs signed letters calling for an unprecedented leadership contest.

Foster said she had notified the party chair of her decision. “It is important to give space over the next few weeks for the party officers to make arrangements for the election of a new leader. When elected I will work with the new leader on transition arrangements.”
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:25 pm

Arlene Foster has been thrown to the wolves by Johnson’s Brexit games
Martin Kettle wrote:Northern Ireland’s first minister has paid the price for believing the promises of the hard Brexiteers

If 23 out of your 27 devolved assembly members, plus four of your eight Westminster MPs, along with lots of your local councillors and party members, have all signed letters calling on you to resign, then politically speaking, you are already toast. This was Arlene Foster’s unhappy fate, duly confirmed today. For the Democratic Unionist party leader and Northern Ireland first minister, it is the end of the road.

Foster’s ousting has many causes and it will have many consequences. It is also an event without local precedent. Remarkably, the DUP has never in its history had a leadership contest (nor, of course, has its rival, Sinn Féin). The DUP’s no-surrender founder, Ian Paisley, led the party into a power-sharing government without being seriously challenged. His successor, Peter Robinson, survived a marital crisis without losing his grip over his socially conservative party. Foster also toughed out the “cash for ash” renewable energy scheme scandal, which shut down the Northern Ireland assembly for three years from January 2017.

So something new is happening in what can seem like the unchanging world of Northern Ireland unionism. Viewed in the round, the issue that has brought Foster down and the DUP close to internal panic is the working of the Northern Ireland Brexit protocol, which creates an Irish Sea border between the region and the rest of Britain. As well as interrupting supplies from Britain, the Irish Sea checks drive a wedge into Northern Ireland unionism’s self-identity as part of the UK. The DUP is terrified that it will lose its hegemony with unionist voters over the issue.

But Foster’s position was also weakened by a certain instinct for practicality that jars with the party’s what-we-have-we-hold fundamentalists. When she is interviewed, Foster may strike many in Britain as just another hardliner. Nevertheless, she always opposed a hard Brexit, preferring “a workable plan”. She also backed attempts to make the protocol work. “We will take any benefits that flow from the protocol,” she said last December, a position she was forced to abandon as more militant protests began.
The wee hairy from the west picked the wrong prick.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:22 am

The DUP might try a rebrand but Brexit has finished them. Only the reignition of sectarian violence can give them any sway now, and I doubt even that will halt the region's ultimate acceptance of a united Ireland. Ironically NI may turn out to be the only winners in the Tories never-ending Brexit disaster movie.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:04 am

For NI to join the republic would be the day of freedom. Free from Westminster. Like Scotland they must break away. Leave the English to slowly stew in their wonderful Brexit soup.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:55 am

The hard-line Protestant loyalists will never let it happen, IMO...

And I suspect that the republic would think twice about accepting such a union, given the turmoil that would occur if it were ever attempted...
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am

They call themselves loyalists, but they're only loyal to their own power. An open border with the EU will see that power drip slowly into the republic as their economy shrinks. Boris has seen to that. When it's easier to do business in the South than across the Irish sea things will shift, and people with it, like they always do.

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am
They call themselves loyalists, but they're only loyal to their own power. An open border with the EU will see that power drip slowly into the republic as their economy shrinks. Boris has seen to that. When it's easier to do business in the South than across the Irish sea things will shift, and people with it, like they always do.
I think you are underestimating the power of historical grievances linked to religious fundamentalism, Brian...
And my gin!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:04 am
For NI to join the republic would be the day of freedom. Free from Westminster. Like Scotland they must break away. Leave the English to slowly stew in their wonderful Brexit soup.
You don't get it, they WANT to be slaves to Westminster, they dread more than death itself to come under the sway of those horrid plebeian catholics from Dublin. They still mourn that cromwell's 'to Hell or Connaught' was not properly applied.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:03 am

JimC wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 am
Brian Peacock wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am
I think you are underestimating the power of historical grievances linked to religious fundamentalism, Brian...
I've never managed to get a certitude as to whether religion was really a motive force in the Irish conflict, or just a marker of each side.