Will you accept the election results?

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: Will you accept the election results?

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:12 am

laklak wrote:Slap me and you'll get hurt.
Unless I use the safe word.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:16 am

JimC wrote:The point that 42 is missing about the wide prevalence in the US of military-style semi-automatics with large magazines is that they, unlike his carefully chosen sample of hunting rifles, are not particularly good for hunting, but brilliant for shooting as many people as possible in a mall or a school...
Yes, but you wouldn't want the mentally incompetent to be deprived of this right, now would you?

...unless you're a commie, or worse!
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:28 pm

I have a quick interrogation method:
How many guns do you own?
Loonie! Ban from owning any guns.
Next!

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Why is collecting guns any loonier than collecting stamps... would you bar me from collecting books because I own a few hundreds?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:05 pm

They don't collect them like stamps. Catastrophic thinking:
Even the guy supervising a car park had a gun. Why? How often does a Chrysler go on a rampage and need to be brought down?
Humans are all about self-preservation and prone to anticipating worst-case scenarios , so if you’re surrounded by people with guns, it would be logical to conclude you need one too.
https://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/heres- ... o-science/

They are, like Seth, addicted to guns.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:04 pm

JimC wrote:The point that 42 is missing about the wide prevalence in the US of military-style semi-automatics with large magazines is that they, unlike his carefully chosen sample of hunting rifles, are not particularly good for hunting, but brilliant for shooting as many people as possible in a mall or a school...
All modern hunting rifles were first used in the military. Heck, a non-semiauto BAR bolt action is a "military style"rifle - it was first used in the military.

There is no reason most semiauto hunting rifles can't have a 10 or more round magazine.

With regard to hunting, actually, many of the semiautomatic rifle varieties that don't look all military-ish have higher caliber and higher muzzle velocities than the "military style" weapons you seem to be concerned about, and they can fire as many rounds in the same time frame.

It's you that are missing the point. The automatic weapons, select fire - one trigger pull = multiple shots - weapons are already pretty much banned. Severely restricted. The semiautos you think are so poor for hunting and so good for human killing are not different than various more standard looking hunting rifles. The only practical distinction is the look of the weapon.

When it comes to banning semauto rifles, what the hunters are largely concerned about is that law designed to limit the "scary looking" guns inevitably sweep up every other hunting gun, because other than saying that anything that looks almost exactly the same as an AK47 or M-16 rifle, you can't really distinguish the different types based on accuracy, rounds per minute, caliber, etc.

Oh, and I have dog in the hunt, really. I do not own a gun right now. And, I am NOT opposed to sensible, reasonable gun legislation. Propose the text of something that fits that description, and I'll wholeheartedly support it. I don't think the right to bear arms is absolute, and that regulation is allowed. Like banning automatics generally, banning hand held rocket launchers, and the like. These make sense. Tell me how to distinguish the semiautos to be banned from the ones not to be banned, and I'll likely be on board.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:07 pm

Forty Two wrote:Tell me how to distinguish the semiautos to be banned from the ones not to be banned, and I'll likely be on board.
Easy.

Military-use semi-automatic weapons: Not banned.
Civilian-use semi-automatic weapons: banned.

You can drop the 'semi-automatic' part there as well.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:27 pm

Forty Two wrote:

The semiautos you think are so poor for hunting and so good for human killing are not different than various more standard looking hunting rifles. The only practical distinction is the look of the weapon.
It's clear that you know little about rifles (I owned several as a young man, and did quite a lot of hunting out in the bush). The military style assault rifles available to civilians in the US are, inherent to their design, optimised for killing humans at short to medium range. They have smaller cartridges (typically 5.56 mm), and are considerably lighter than hunting rifles, whether those be bolt action or semi-automatic - a heavier weapon with a larger cartridge is more accurate at the long range often needed by hunters. The assault rifles frequently have up to 30 round magazines (and yes, of course I know they are not fully automatic, but that doesn't stop a deranged killer emptying his magazine very rapidly via single shots, then reaching for another). I know what type I would prefer if I were contemplating a mass killing in a crowded area...

The lunatics who amass such weapons are not hunters or competition rifle shooters. They have them because they fear other humans, and want to be prepared, either for an apocalyptic breakdown of society, or the paranoid fear of big government. It's not surprising that a certain number of people with such fears will go over the edge, and create one more tragic American mass shooting...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:21 am

I think it's also pretty easy to modify the AR-15 and clones to 'select-fire'.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:46 pm

OK, guns are shit but actually a minimal topic so let us move on. Guns are not going to change in America for 4-8 years.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:24 pm

I see the broadway cast of Hamilton aren't accepting the election result.

Frank Zappa

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:I see the broadway cast of Hamilton aren't accepting the election result.
Yup. And Trump has issued a very presidential response. Via Twitter.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:15 pm

He had constipation. All the tweets come at the toilet bowl. Fact!

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:48 pm

The statement read by the cast member was rather mild, and expressed hope that Pence would uphold American values. Trump shows his true colors when he responds to something like that by demanding an apology.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:14 pm

L'Emmerdeur wrote:The statement read by the cast member was rather mild, and expressed hope that Pence would uphold American values. Trump shows his true colors when he responds to something like that by demanding an apology.
He is a small child in a (mostly) man-sized body.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.