London: Another van attack nr Finsbury Park Mosque

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: London: Another van attack nr Finsbury Park Mosque

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Hermit wrote:
pErvin wrote:Terrorism is usually backed by some ideology for social/government change by violent and/or extreme means.
Yes. And Darren Osborne has one. It's called islamophobia. So, yes, he may have been acting as a lone wolf, but he perpetrated what can only be literally described as a terrorist act based on that ideology, an ideology fostered by any number of right wing lunatic organisations such as the EDL, UKIP and so forth. Although he is not known to be a member of any of them, there is no record of him being mentally ill either.
I think that's a good point. I hadn't thought of it like that, but I'm still not sure if or when plain old xenophobia becomes an ideology and, as such, elevates violent, hateful bigotry to the status of terrorism(?).
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:58 pm

IMG_20170621_005626.jpg
IMG_20170621_005626.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 1356 times
Bad decision using the photo of the perpetrator where he is making the IS sign.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 pm

I fear a fair trail may be being put in jeopardy with reporting like that. The Mail isn't much better...

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:06 am

NineBerry wrote:
IMG_20170621_005626.jpg
Bad decision using the photo of the perpetrator where he is making the IS sign.
Comes from one of the Hadith where people are encouraged to mimic the Prophet Paedo in word and gesture .
I'd do a word search for it,to find the exact quote but It's been too a long day to read through the endless repetitions of horrors such searches usually throw up
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am

There are no moderate Mussies and even fewer moderate Welshmen.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:32 pm

Alan B wrote:To what extent does the demise of the NHS (and treating mental health care as a sideline) contribute to the actions of these 'loners'?

The general impression could be "What's the use. I can't get help. Fuck 'em all." In effect blaming others for their unsolved problems.

Quite different, I suspect, from the terrorist acting upon a religious ideal.
This sort of stands out...
The Guardian - 22 Jun 2017
Nicola Osborne said she believed her brother was “angry at the whole world”. She admitted that he had been in trouble since he was a teenager, but said he she had never heard him express anti-Muslim sentiments or racist views.
Osborne said her brother had asked to be sectioned about two months ago, but this did not happen. “He was trying to get the help he needed,” she said.
My italics

Another failure at the door of Tory 'austerity'...
Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power - Eric Hoffer.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 pm

What is "sectioned"?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:47 pm

To be declared mentally unstable and restrained for appropriate treatment. If that had happened when he requested it, he wouldn't have made the headlines and there would be no injured or dead at Finsbury Park.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer proof nor do I have to determine absence of proof because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:21 pm

Though it no longer strictly applies, the police used to have powers under Section 5 of the Mental Health Act 1968 (amended 1983) to restrain and detain persons considered a danger to themselves or to members of the public, due to mental illness or impairment, and convey them to a hospital unit for assessment and/or treatment. In the old days being 'sectioned' was equivalent to being carried off to the laughing academy.

The provisions of the Act were integrated into the Policing and Crime Act which came into force this year, extending the powers of detention to 'places of safety' including homes and workplaces while reducing the maximum time of detention without professional assessment from 72 to 24 hours, granting individual officers more responsibility for invoking certain clauses of the act on the ground while strengthening obligations for officers to seek the advise of a mental health professional, and to remove the provisions which limited interventions to incidents in public areas (basically covering a lot of what the police had already been doing for quite a while anyway).

Being 'sectioned ' is not something you can ask for; but a protective measure which is imposed on you. Still, one would think that asking for it should have raised a few flags somewhere.

Frank Zappa

Alan B

Post by Alan B » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Exactly. Unfortunately, I don't think there are enough 'flag-observers' around these days.