Strange bedfellows

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Strange bedfellows

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:49 pm

I think there is a core of a particular emotion in both jihadists and fascists. The need to believe in something that ties them as a tribe with strong emotions, often involve a love for a leader or a great man from the past or a god, intertwined with hatred and contempt for the "other".

In both cases, the other includes the jews, but also each other, making something like a common plan to blow up a synagogue somewhat dicey... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:14 pm

People who are susceptible to one form of collective narcissism will tend to be susceptible to other forms of collective narcissism. Religion, racism, sexism, homophobia, nationalism tend to go hand in hand with one another. If you are convinced that the group that you identify with is better than all the other groups, you will be inclined to find other ways to distinguish your group from other inferior ones.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 pm

aufbahrung wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:26 am
Nazis were supernaturalists first and foremost. Why people are always arguing about their politics. It didn't exactly make sense, and behind the scenes it was chaos.
Supernaturalists or supernationalists? The Nazi's aren't a big focus for me, but the little I've read made me think it was the latter.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:40 pm

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 pm
aufbahrung wrote:
Nazis were supernaturalists first and foremost. Why people are always arguing about their politics. It didn't exactly make sense, and behind the scenes it was chaos.
Supernaturalists or supernationalists? The Nazi's aren't a big focus for me, but the little I've read made me think it was the latter.
Maybe they liked to hang out at the beach super naked... :ask:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 pm

Amongst the hatred and iron-fisted racially based nationalism of the nazis was always a weird strand of emotion, superstition and irrational beliefs...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:15 pm

Seabass wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:40 pm
Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:37 pm
aufbahrung wrote:
Maybe they liked to hang out at the beach super naked... :ask:
:hehe:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:58 am

Seabass wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:32 pm
Hermit wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:41 am
Isis is fundamentally theocratic. Trump supporters are fundamentally racist..
Trumpers are fundamentally theocratic, too. American Christianity and white supremacy have been intertwined and inseparable for centuries.
Yes, American Christianity and white supremacy have been intertwined for centuries. But that Christianity is a tool to justify racism. Isis, on the other hand, is fundamentally theocratic. Its explicit aim is to form governments run according to al-Qurʼān, ḥadīth and Sharia.

While Americans who want a theocratic form of government would have been historically almost exclusively supporters of the Republican Party, I have yet to be convinced that a majority of Trumpers want a theocratic form of government. A survey conducted by Pew Research in April 2020 asked: "When Bible and the will of people conflict, which should have more influence on U.S. laws?", 41% of Republicans and Republican leaners picked the Bible (as did 16% of Democrats and Democrat leaners and 50% of Black Protestants).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:18 am

There's a certain interchangeability between the diverse species of fanatics.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

aufbahrung

Post by aufbahrung » Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:25 pm

Rationally you should never cross them beams, in practice people cross them beams all the time
WeAreAStableCountry

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:13 pm

That they do. But hey, keeps life interesting, innit?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.