Should Communism Be Declared A Criminal Ideology?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Should Communism Be Declared A Criminal Ideology?

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:49 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:03 pm
Rum wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am
Ouch.

Not sure why this thread has popped up again but for me Marxism is a lens to look through which explains the power and economic relationships within Capitalism - and historically. I think it is a good one, though as I have grown older I have realised that there are multiple lenses one can choose to look through and in many respects what matters is how many people subscribe to the view rather than its true accuracy.
The problem with Marxism is that much of it is wrong, and as a lens distorts reality rather than magnifies it. It's more of a fun house mirror than a lens.
Assertions are not discussions.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:51 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:12 pm
Rum wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 pm
Not so deep maybe? A Janet and John reader - one of the learn to read books I had as a small child, reinforced the traditional roles of father (out at work and welcomed home to dinner by the mother and stay at home wife), sister, who was neat, tidy and proper and John...well you get the idea.

Values are threaded through all fiction pretty much and even academic texts on History and so on - think of the history we were taught compared to the postcolonial stuff kids get today. Arguably even a book which discusses an ideology does so from a differing perspective and ideology itself very often. I am being a bit of a sophist with that one though.
I like the traditional sex roles. My wife stays home with the kids. I am the dad who goes to work. I fix the broken stuff, and I do the stuff with the cars, the garbage/trash/bins, and I deal with banging nails and and putting up fixtures and replacing broken equipment/appliances. I deal with contractors and auto dealerships. I think it's best for the kids, too.
Your choice - and you had me more or less up to the 'best for the kids' bit.

In my house, I cook, clean the house, do the washing walk the dogs, put the trash out and so on. Mrs Rum goes out to work.

Works fine for me. Best for the kids too. :roll:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Much the same for me, Rum, now that I'm retired. I clean the floors, wash the dishes, hang out the clothes, and do some shopping and cooking, while Bron heads out to do her tutoring...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:44 pm

42 appears to think there’s a ‘right’ way to organise one’s domestic arrangements.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm

Forty Two wrote:
I like the traditional sex roles. My wife stays home with the kids. I am the dad who goes to work...
Rum wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:51 pm
In my house, I cook, clean the house, do the washing walk the dogs, put the trash out and so on. Mrs Rum goes out to work
JimC wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:59 pm
Much the same for me, Rum, now that I'm retired. I clean the floors, wash the dishes, hang out the clothes, and do some shopping and cooking, while Bron heads out to do her tutoring...
Rum and Jim, you two wilfully and pathetically ignore nature. Will nobody think of the hormones? The physical strength of men? The fact that chaos is female and order is male?

Perhaps one day roles may be reversed, but your decisions are premature. Wait at least until the 20th century, when someone invents the forklift and someone like Marie Curie proves that women can be capable of orderly thinking by winning two Nobel prizes for her scientific work - one in physics (1903) and one in chemistry (1911).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm

I do all the shopping and cooking. Mrs. Lak does the laundry and cleaning. Rebuilding engines falls to me.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 pm

You’ve helped me see the error of my ways Hermie. I’ve ordered Mrs Rum to do the ironing this evening and prepare something tasty for my lunch tomorrow after she’s been sent off to work.

I plan to lounge in a hammock in my back garden all day. Bugger the drizzle - I’m a man!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Good on yer, Rum! Next we'll get you huntin' an' fishin' and runnin' some 'shine.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 pm
Good on yer, Rum! Next we'll get you huntin' an' fishin' and runnin' some 'shine.
I doubt Mrs Rum would let me. :shifty: :mrgreen:

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm

Hermit wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 pm
Forty Two wrote:
I like the traditional sex roles. My wife stays home with the kids. I am the dad who goes to work...
Rum wrote:
In my house, I cook, clean the house, do the washing walk the dogs, put the trash out and so on. Mrs Rum goes out to work
JimC wrote:
Rum and Jim, you two wilfully and pathetically ignore nature. Will nobody think of the hormones? The physical strength of men? The fact that chaos is female and order is male?
I said nothing about nature, or hormones, or physical strength. My job takes zero physical strength, incidentally, and there is absolutely no reason women would not be able to do my job (and they are just as able). I just said what I prefer.

Hermit wrote:
Perhaps one day roles may be reversed, but your decisions are premature. Wait at least until the 20th century, when someone invents the forklift and someone like Marie Curie proves that women can be capable of orderly thinking by winning two Nobel prizes for her scientific work - one in physics (1903) and one in chemistry (1911).
I like the arrangement we have at home. I don't care if everyone else on the planet did something different.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:57 pm

Rum wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:09 pm
You’ve helped me see the error of my ways Hermie. I’ve ordered Mrs Rum to do the ironing this evening and prepare something tasty for my lunch tomorrow after she’s been sent off to work.

I plan to lounge in a hammock in my back garden all day. Bugger the drizzle - I’m a man!
I find it odd that someone would claim the expression of what I prefer as a claim that others are in error. Was your expression of your preference a declaration that I am in error? I suspect not.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:59 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:06 pm
I do all the shopping and cooking. Mrs. Lak does the laundry and cleaning. Rebuilding engines falls to me.
I like grocery shopping, and I do it often. I cook if it involves the grill or breakfast. But, I typically am not the one to make dinners.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:10 pm

Rum wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Rum wrote:
Not so deep maybe? A Janet and John reader - one of the learn to read books I had as a small child, reinforced the traditional roles of father (out at work and welcomed home to dinner by the mother and stay at home wife), sister, who was neat, tidy and proper and John...well you get the idea.

Values are threaded through all fiction pretty much and even academic texts on History and so on - think of the history we were taught compared to the postcolonial stuff kids get today. Arguably even a book which discusses an ideology does so from a differing perspective and ideology itself very often. I am being a bit of a sophist with that one though.
I like the traditional sex roles. My wife stays home with the kids. I am the dad who goes to work. I fix the broken stuff, and I do the stuff with the cars, the garbage/trash/bins, and I deal with banging nails and and putting up fixtures and replacing broken equipment/appliances. I deal with contractors and auto dealerships. I think it's best for the kids, too.
Your choice - and you had me more or less up to the 'best for the kids' bit.
Well, I think it's best for the kids to have a parent home with them. It could very well be me, under different circumstances. I think kids getting placed in child care so early in life is not as good for them as having their first few years at home. That's not to say most people don't grow up reasonably fine in outside care. I just think it's better at home until school age.

Rum wrote:
In my house, I cook, clean the house, do the washing walk the dogs, put the trash out and so on. Mrs Rum goes out to work.

Works fine for me. Best for the kids too. :roll:
I cook on the grill, and I'll do breakfast. But my wife cooks way better than me. I do not do the laundry, and while I will clean up after myself and put things away, and I often will do cleanups of the kids' rooms, playroom, kitchen, etc. - the "real" cleaning is the province of my wife. It stands to reason that someone who stays home and does not have any employment commitments should do the lion's share of house work. It stands to reason to me, that is.

I don't see why best for the kids deserves an eye roll - surely there are better and worse ways to care for them. It's better for kids to have regular contact with caring parents, I would think, generally speaking (with the assumption of a lack of abuse and other maltreatment). I would imagine, having read many of your comments on this forum over the years, that Rum at home with young kids every day would, in fact, be better than shipping them off to strangers.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Forty Two wrote:
Rum wrote:

I like the traditional sex roles.
There's a surprise.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:21 am

Forty Two wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:56 pm
Hermit wrote:
Forty Two wrote:
Rum wrote:
JimC wrote:
I said nothing about nature, or hormones, or physical strength. My job takes zero physical strength, incidentally, and there is absolutely no reason women would not be able to do my job (and they are just as able). I just said what I prefer.
Not in this thread, but in your previous account as Coito ergo sum you had plenty to say about the different capabilities, the different ways women act and think and so on, based on biological and evolutionary grounds. In one of the threads you started, you began with: "I think there is some truth to what Hitchens has argued, both biologically and culturally. Women do not have as much of a biological or evolutionary need to be funny..." In another you went even further. You began a reply to Maiforpeace with: "Well, your species..." The latter example may have been you attempting to be funny, but I am sure that if anyone who could be bothered to do a bit of searching, they'd find plenty more comments of the former type authored by you among the other 30 threads you started with the word "women" in the title and elsewhere.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould