The Coronavirus Thread

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 20, 2024 9:34 pm

The worst strain of bird flu to ever hit North America continues to spread.
...It's spilled over and infected far more types of mammals than previously thought possible since first arriving to the continent in late 2021. This spring, for the first time, it infected dairy cows in nine states, including North Dakota and Michigan. The virus has been found in milk from those infected cows....

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed May 22, 2024 10:46 pm

A new strain of coronavirus has emerged, more transmissible but probably less dangerous:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-23/ ... /103877328
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu May 23, 2024 10:19 am

How could it be less dangerous than the last few? Does this one bring people back to life?
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu May 23, 2024 8:24 pm

I simply meant that the infections are, on average, milder, with fewer (but not zero) deaths. However, if it is (as suggested) quicker to spread, we still may see an increase in hospital admissions.
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri May 24, 2024 6:37 am

we are ...
In Queensland, 1,442 people have been diagnosed with COVID in the past week.

Of concern, 47 per cent of people hospitalised with the disease were aged 75 years or olde
COVID cases are rising across Australia. Here's what we know about the new variant: FLiRT
By Hanan Dervisevic
Posted 11h ago
I'm in that category and we are getting our booster on Tuesday. I'm still leery of getting long covid ( I've not had it yet afaik tho I've had my suspicions ). My immune system is not entirely up to snuff after a bad year of broken leg and collar bone, 90 days in recovery and then a prostate operation that was a bit of a bear post op tho the procedure itself was minor in discomfort. Get TURP done when you are younger...I waited too long.

So getting any infection at this point is unwelcome. Thanks to the TURP I no longer take low dose daily a/b so waiting to get my entire immune system stable....now about the exercise :leave:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-24/ ... /103883574
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 24, 2024 10:44 am

JimC wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:24 pm
I simply meant that the infections are, on average, milder, with fewer (but not zero) deaths. However, if it is (as suggested) quicker to spread, we still may see an increase in hospital admissions.
They knew exactly what you meant Jim. :tea:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri May 24, 2024 1:31 pm

A lot of people died. It’s pointless arguing with people bent on whistling past the graves.

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri May 24, 2024 3:04 pm

61 million people die every year

For those with a passing interest in carrying capacity, that's about half as many as are born
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 24, 2024 3:44 pm

Why bother treating cancer or infant heart defects - they're only going to end up dead in the end - just like everybody does? Indeed, why worry about violent acts like murder or military conflict - the victims are always going to die at some point anyway. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri May 24, 2024 6:23 pm

I missed the cancer and infant heart defects threads on here, can you point me in the direction to those? I also missed us shutting the economy down for a year because of them.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 24, 2024 7:32 pm

OK. So, given that your response was, "61 million people die every year", please explain how COVID deaths are special - if you dare. :tea:

Frank Zappa

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri May 24, 2024 10:13 pm

Covid is just slightly more deadly than common flu strains, let us get used to it and it will become a common flu.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat May 25, 2024 5:04 am

It's long covid that is the larger threat...there are somethings worse than death. Get your shot.
Vaccinations reduce the risk of long covid

Medical Republic
https://www.medicalrepublic.com.au › vaccinations-red...
23 Nov 2023 — Vaccinations reduce the risk of long covid ... Being up to date with your boosters could cut the chances by three quarters or more, a major Swedish study suggests ...
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat May 25, 2024 7:28 am

Brian Peacock wrote:
Fri May 24, 2024 7:32 pm
OK. So, given that your response was, "61 million people die every year", please explain how COVID deaths are special - if you dare. :tea:
Because freedum!
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Sat May 25, 2024 8:19 pm

mac is right. Although covid seems to be heading in the direction of reduced severity, long covid is a worry - I don't think there is a "long flu"...
And my gin!