The Coronavirus Thread

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: The Coronavirus Thread

Post by NineBerry » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:39 pm

Speaking of rats:

Several German cities see a rat infestation as the animals seem to have moved into the cities more over the last months as fewer people were on the road.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:53 pm

SA Police said the 23-year-old man and the 18-year-old man were stopped at the checkpoint on the Dukes Highway at Bordertown, about 4:00am on Thursday, and were deemed to be non-essential travellers.
Never cross the border at Bordertown - that's exactly what they expect you to do.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:04 pm

All the roads out of Victoria into South Australia are blocked by armed police. It's only a matter of time before NSW to our north follows suit. When (and if) travel resumes, all Victorians visiting other states will be compelled to wear a prominent pink V... :tea:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:50 am

JimC wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:04 pm
All the roads out of Victoria into South Australia are blocked by armed police. It's only a matter of time before NSW to our north follows suit. When (and if) travel resumes, all Victorians visiting other states will be compelled to wear a prominent pink V... :tea:
Ferries to Tassie are still on. Go, visit Port Arthur. It's a picturesque, popular tourist destination. Martin will give you all a special welcome.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:02 pm

I used to live in Port Arthur, but then Port Arthur and Fort William amalgamated and became Thunder Bay.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:24 pm

I admit I'm tempted. I've already read it twice, but it's been a long time since I last took the plunge.

'Thomas Pynchon Predicted the Pandemic in "Gravity’s Rainbow"—Now Aren't You Sorry You Didn't Read It?'
If it’s fiction you want these shut-in days, Pynchon’s is the American novel that offers the most profound understanding of how the pandemic is killing hundreds of thousands across the globe. Granted, each of us is most concerned that the virus doesn’t kill us, but you still might like to know Pynchon’s analysis—in 1973—of why you might die. And although Gravity’s Rainbow has a very pessimistic diagnosis of human history, that diagnosis might inspire the cognitive shift necessary for regeneration after the pandemic eases, if it does. Plenty of op-ed writers have offered cultural analyses and future prescriptions, but Pynchon’s fiction is further reaching, more imaginative, and more affecting.

Gravity’s Rainbow is also notoriously long and recalcitrant. But if you recognize its Brechtian “epic theater” as decidedly relevant to our current situation, reading it could be a good investment of your entertainment hours because the novel is an encyclopedia of humor, what scholars call “the carnivalesque.” Pynchon includes a Huck Finn-like Innocent Abroad as protagonist, a large gallery of fools and frauds, slapstick chase scenes, movie parodies, Catch-22 absurdities and Monty Python stupidities, as well as bawdy songs, Proverbs for Paranoids, and word play worthy of Nabokov, with whom Pynchon studied. I should also mention plenty of sex scenes to please just about every taste (and tastelessness). But be not fooled: the hurdy-gurdy carnival is present to conduct you into the big tent, where gravity-defying high-wire acts of human rocketry occur.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:46 pm

I think you'd be better off reading Ballard and Lovecraft. Start reading that and you might not finishes before the End Times arrive. ;)
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:17 am

Yeah, I dig both of them, too. Pynchon has a special place in what passes for my heart, though. :smoke:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:21 am

127 cases in pestilence central (Melbourne) today. Highest number to date.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:18 am

We are basically staying at home. We did a big supermarket shop recently, so we can hunker down for a while...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:48 am

I'm no longer paying any attention to government advice - which is confusing, contradictory, and now is becoming increasingly political in a Trumpian culture wars fashion. I'm reading what medics and epidemeologists are saying, and they're saying there's still a high level of infection in the population and that the focus on the number of confirmed cases and deaths gives a misleading picture. Testing and contact tracing has been outsourced to firms with contracts which explicitly let them off any failures or errors - they're getting the money with no incentive to do a decent job. I'm in a vulnerable group so I'm trying to maintain social distancing as best I can, but it does rather depend on what others do doesn't it? Cases are very low in Scotland so the chances of catching it seem rather slim, but we're still not opening the pubs, social distancing rules still apply, and from next week face masks become compulsory in shops and on public transport.

Frank Zappa

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:49 am

NineBerry wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:39 pm
Speaking of rats:

Several German cities see a rat infestation as the animals seem to have moved into the cities more over the last months as fewer people were on the road.
Hameln?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:34 pm

Bayonne: Bus driver left brain dead after being 'attacked over face masks'

A bus driver in the south-west of France has been left brain dead after reportedly being attacked by passengers who refused to wear face masks.

The driver in Bayonne had refused to allow several people - who had no tickets and were not wearing masks - to board the bus on Sunday night, a police source told AFP news agency.

The man, who is in his 50s, sustained serious head injuries after being punched.

Five people have been arrested.

Face masks are mandatory on public transport in France.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53309424

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:47 pm

So wish I could say that these damn basques are not fit for civilized company, but I don't know the stock of the guilty parties.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:03 pm

028C5DC4-9EB6-469A-A8F0-F8338DE81C7E.jpeg
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice