JimC wrote: Best of both worlds...
...so you agree it was Aliens?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Search on after Malaysia Airlines flight vanishes

Post by mistermack » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:05 am

The twice a day thing was just a ''for example'' suggestion. You could make it 4, 8, 12, or 24 times a day, so long as it was bang on the hour. You still get to discount pings that you hear that are not on the hour.

The other thing is that, when you hear a ping, if you know it pinged exactly on the hour, you can then calculate the distance, knowing the speed of sound in water. So if you have several pings, you can draw circles from your recorded positions, and where they intersect is the location of the box.

Maybe they already do that. It seems like simple stuff.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:24 am

It is also simple stuff to put in a longer life battery.

Obviously there is something about this they aren't saying.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:55 am

it's not -there are risks with batteries as well.
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:15 am

macdoc wrote:it's not -there are risks with batteries as well.
Risks would not double in a controversial way with two batteries. Saving weight, saving a few cents each flight over a lifetime in service. Amounts to a few hundred dollars I'm guessing.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Warren Dew

Post by Warren Dew » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:15 pm

Scumple wrote:
Risks would not double in a controversial way with two batteries. Saving weight, saving a few cents each flight over a lifetime in service. Amounts to a few hundred dollars I'm guessing.
If the risk is how big the fire is if the battery catches fire, two batteries might indeed double the risk.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:30 pm

Warren Dew wrote:
Scumple wrote:
If the risk is how big the fire is if the battery catches fire, two batteries might indeed double the risk.
Hmm. That casing is designed to endure whatever abuse from the outside. :ask: Cannot really see how a battery fire inside would hardly get to the point that it could endanger the plane?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:37 pm

MiM wrote:
Warren Dew wrote:
Scumple wrote:
Hmm. That casing is designed to endure whatever abuse from the outside. :ask: Cannot really see how a battery fire inside would hardly get to the point that it could endanger the plane?
And, since a black box isn't essential for a safe flight, you can always put a fuse in the circuit.
If it blows, it blows.

piscator

Post by piscator » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 am

mistermack wrote:The twice a day thing was just a ''for example'' suggestion. You could make it 4, 8, 12, or 24 times a day, so long as it was bang on the hour. You still get to discount pings that you hear that are not on the hour.

The other thing is that, when you hear a ping, if you know it pinged exactly on the hour, you can then calculate the distance, knowing the speed of sound in water. So if you have several pings, you can draw circles from your recorded positions, and where they intersect is the location of the box.

Maybe they already do that. It seems like simple stuff.

Except that sound travels at different velocities depending on water strata temp and turbidity. An audible ping on the hour can also reflect off one or more thermoclines (margins of water strata) and get picked up a half hour later in some strange land far away. The friction and gas noise from the BP Spill exiting the wellhead was picked up loud as shit in places in the Caribbean, 1200 miles away. Submarines try to use thermoclines to hide from each other's sonar back in the good old days when the US had the Soviets to kick up and down the submarine block.

On a side note, It's a damn shame it'll take 50 years of espionage for either the Chinese or Iranians to catch up with present American attack sub tech. We got no one to play against. :x

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 am

So are they still looking for this thing, or is the search off?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10 am

As I understand it, they are combing the sea bottom using the remote controlled submersible with its own sonar...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:24 am

And, since a black box isn't essential for a safe flight, you can always put a fuse in the circuit.
If it blows, it blows.
thats not the issue - it's internal shorts in lithium batteries that cause fires....it's what plagued Boeing, likely Tesla just now and others.
It's why they won't let you take lithium batteries in your check in luggage.
Too much fire risk.

I suspect they will find the plane but it's gonna take a while. Besides Tony Abbott's rep is staked on it :roll:

More info is surfacing on how it was flown ( low, fast and radar avoidance ).

As to the motive....we may never know. :dunno:
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:28 am

I wonder why he bothered avoiding radar. He should have flow it straight towards the US and hoped that they shot him down with fighter jets. That would be a more awesome way to go out, I reckon..
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:33 am

Dunno but part of it may just have been sight seeing and showing off his piloting skills.

The only US site he might reach is Diego Garcia and he certainly would have been shot down.

mistermack

Post by mistermack » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:43 am

Might be down to a life insurance policy. I'm sure that they have checked all that out, but they seem to hold back other information for no logical reason.

It could have been a spur-of-the-moment suicide decision, by one of the pilots, who would prefer for his family and friends not to know. Or a planned one, hoping that their family would get the life insurance.

I would say that it's very heavy odds on to be one of the pilots, and I would guess it was the captain.
They should check both of their life insurance statuses, and never pay out till they are cleared.