Is This The Best Band Of All Time?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Is This The Best Band Of All Time?

Post by Animavore » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:50 am

The Rolling Stones have some great songs and they're certainly better than the shiity Beatles but, they lost any hope of being the best band of all time back in the 70's when they refused to either split up or die.

That and the fact I can think of heaps of bands I'd rather listen too.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:09 am

NO .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Post by Chinaski » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm

The Rolling Stones are quite possibly one of the most overrated bands ever. And no way are they better than the Beatles. At least Lennon and McCartney knew how to write songs.
Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:16 pm

Good band - Yes
Best band of all time - No

Their albums - even their best ones - contain far too much filler. And I know, cos I've got all of them.

And their worst ones - Their Satanic Majesties anyone? :nono:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:22 am

I agree.

They're a bit like Metallica, to be honest. They've got some schaweeet musics, but they've also got a hell of a lot of trash.

Opeth is the best band ever.
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Although I never cared much for them (was always a Beatles boy), I have to admit they were smoking hot in the late 60s and throughout the 70s. Many of their popular songs I actively dislike, and will change the station if they come on the radio. But even as a non-fan like myself, I still find myself really digging some of their stuff, "Hand of Fate" for instance. I have Tattoo You, which I felt had its moments. I think I'm probably the only person who liked their "Emotion Rescue" song. And I very nearly bought Keith Richards' solo album when it came out, the one with "You Don't Move Me Anymore," on it. So I appreciate them. But I also think they should have gracefully retired twenty-five or thirty years ago.

Also, A-Ha is the greatest band in the world. Obviously.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

JasonK
About me: I do computer stuff. I have 2 cats and the best girlfriend in the whole world.

Post by JasonK » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:02 pm

The Stones have a few good songs.
However, if I saved my next four bowel movements in mason jars, I'd have produced a better band than The Beatles. Talk about the most highly overrated band of all time. :tdown: (Sorry, Tatt, I love you!) Nothing salvageable from their entire discography, in my opinion.

And the best band of all time is clearly Fugazi.
Or maybe Mayhem...
Deep within this endless void
searching for a sign.
The vessel forged inside of me
watches over, like the death of the moon

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:35 pm

JasonK wrote:The Stones have a few good songs.
However, if I saved my next four bowel movements in mason jars, I'd have produced a better band than The Beatles. Talk about the most highly overrated band of all time. :tdown: (Sorry, Tatt, I love you!) Nothing salvageable from their entire discography, in my opinion.

And the best band of all time is clearly Fugazi.
Or maybe Mayhem...
I honestly don't know how you can say that, but whatever...

The best band of all time is clearly Tenacious D, they've said it themselves. Or it might be Manowar.

JasonK
About me: I do computer stuff. I have 2 cats and the best girlfriend in the whole world.

Post by JasonK » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:47 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:I honestly don't know how you can say that, but whatever...
To each his own, eh?
I can say it 'cause I think they're a bunch of talentless hacks who wrote lyrics for simpletons (I wanna hold your hand...? I wanna hold a fucking gun to your temple...) with very simple and basic music behind them. Totally unimpressed. They give me a migraine.
searching for a sign.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:57 pm

JasonK wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:I honestly don't know how you can say that, but whatever...
To each his own, eh?
I can say it 'cause I think they're a bunch of talentless hacks who wrote lyrics for simpletons (I wanna hold your hand...? I wanna hold a fucking gun to your temple...) with very simple and basic music behind them. Totally unimpressed. They give me a migraine.
There's a huge difference between the lyrical quality of their early more poppish stuff and what they produced after Lennon met Dylan and took his criticism to heart (basically Dylan told him "You don't have anything to sing about"). Stuff like The Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus, etc... There's a lot of really good stuff.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:38 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:
JasonK wrote:
To each his own, eh?
There's a huge difference between the lyrical quality of their early more poppish stuff and what they produced after Lennon met Dylan and took his criticism to heart (basically Dylan told him "You don't have anything to sing about"). Stuff like The Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus, etc... There's a lot of really good stuff.
I can understand The Beatles not being to someone's taste, but I can't understand saying they were talentless and their songs were shit. Also, every one of their albums was different from the last, and their later stuff was light years away from the early stuff. That being said, I find the early solo records more satisfying.

Frigid, I didn't know about this Lennon/Dylon meeting. Can you elaborate?
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

JasonK

Post by JasonK » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:50 pm

tattuchu wrote:I can understand The Beatles not being to someone's taste, but I can't understand saying they were talentless and their songs were shit. Also, every one of their albums was different from the last, and their later stuff was light years away from the early stuff. That being said, I find the early solo records more satisfying.
Probably similar to the way some people only hear noise when they hear metal. I don't get it, as I can pick out crazy intricacies, but lots of people can't. I've been forced to listen to probably the better part of their discography, and for whatever reason found absolutely nothing to like about a single bit of it. :dono:
Nothing stood out, to me. Usually, awesome instrumentation or amazing vocal work just jumps out at me. Not the case with the Beatles. But, as I said, to each his own.
searching for a sign.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:04 pm

tattuchu wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:
JasonK wrote:
To each his own, eh?
I can understand The Beatles not being to someone's taste, but I can't understand saying they were talentless and their songs were shit. Also, every one of their albums was different from the last, and their later stuff was light years away from the early stuff. That being said, I find the early solo records more satisfying.

I can't remember where I read it, probably in someone's biography. Basically the Beatles met with Dylan (can't remember where) sometime during 1964, which resulted in a) Lennon becoming much more serious lyricist, and Dylan deciding he'd like to be a rockstar too and recording Highway 61 Revisited which opens with Like A Rolling Stone.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:11 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:
tattuchu wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:
JasonK wrote:
To each his own, eh?

I can't remember where I read it, probably in someone's biography. Basically the Beatles met with Dylan (can't remember where) sometime during 1964, which resulted in a) Lennon becoming much more serious lyricist, and Dylan deciding he'd like to be a rockstar too and recording Highway 61 Revisited which opens with Like A Rolling Stone.
They got stoned together in the back of Lennon's limo IIRC. Lennon then wrote Norwegian Wood which ripped off Dylan's style so much (in Dylan's onion) that Dylan countered by ripping off the melody for 4th Time Around.
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:20 pm

JasonK wrote:
tattuchu wrote:I can understand The Beatles not being to someone's taste, but I can't understand saying they were talentless and their songs were shit. Also, every one of their albums was different from the last, and their later stuff was light years away from the early stuff. That being said, I find the early solo records more satisfying.
Probably similar to the way some people only hear noise when they hear metal. I don't get it, as I can pick out crazy intricacies, but lots of people can't. I've been forced to listen to probably the better part of their discography, and for whatever reason found absolutely nothing to like about a single bit of it. :dono:
Nothing stood out, to me. Usually, awesome instrumentation or amazing vocal work just jumps out at me. Not the case with the Beatles. But, as I said, to each his own.
No one's praising the Beatles for their instrumental complexity (although some of the weird oriental shit is really cool), they're just damn good songwriters. It's a different kind of good. I constantly get a bum rap from my metal colleagues for liking Nickelback.