No votes
More than 100
50%

Total votes: 2

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: How many bands have you seen?

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 pm

The first concert by a well known band was a disappointment. Credence Clearwater Revival giggged at the Randwick Racecourse. The band rolled up in three black stretch limos, went through their set list without bothering to interact with the audience as we watched and listened from the grandstand about 100 metres away, and departed the same way it arrived. The members may as well have mimed to a studio recording of any of their albums.

As a result of the disappointment I did not bother to see Led Zeppelin when the band turned up in Sydney a couple of months later.

Concerts I enjoyed starred B.B. King, Lou Reed, and best of all John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers among others. Mayall was the best. I saw him twice in Sydney and once on the Gold Coast. He played in smallish, dingy venues every time, and all of them have been razed since - replaced by steel and glass office towers. I also enjoyed several concerts given by the Emmanuel Brothers (Tommy and Phil, the latter having died earlier this year) at a pub in a Paddington pub before they landed a major recording contract.

There is a Jazz venue near the Harbour Bridge called "The Basement". Nothing like it was. It's been rebuilt twice since I last went there. The second time the entire building was knocked down and replaced by a taller one. It was very small indeed. I don't think the owners could have packed more than 100 people in, so it was always going broke, but a new owner always turned up to run the show for another year or five. The latest announcement of its final closure was made in March this year. In April it reopened -- yes, under new ownership. The first concert I attended featured Galapagos Duck. Others were Herbie Mann, Renee Geyer, Kerrie Biddell, Georgie Fame and James Morrison. Then the rebuild destroyed the ambience, I almost got thrown out for smoking a little hash and my interest in Jazz faded.

I also saw Midnight Oil at a pub in Coogee beach before they became famous in Australia. Peter Garret's act was profoundly monotonous. Another popular Australian band I've seen was Mental as Anything, but that was probably because the drummer was a classmate.

In 2003 the Rolling Stones played at the Enmore Theatre. I lived about 500 metres from the venue at the time and someone offered me a ticket. I declined. The band was off my list by then. With their release of Goat's Head Soup they had transformed from a bunch of musicians into a money-making machine.

All in all I never was an enthusiastic concert goer. Apart from the occasional baroque or classical performance I have not been to a live venue for maybe three decades.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm

No idea, many are lost to the mists of Time and Pharmaceuticals. Off the top of my head Clapton, Mayall, The Who, Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers (with Duane and Barry), Richard Thompson, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Steve Miller Band, Jason Isbell, Charlie Daniels, Ringo and the All-Stars, Jewel, Uriah Heap, Jimmy Buffett, .38 Special, Johnny Clegg, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Oliver Mtukudzi, Crosby Stills and Nash, I'm missing a lot of them. Love live music, but the actual going to the concert is a pain in the ass these days, all sorts of rules and security and bullshit.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:47 pm

laklak wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm
No idea, many are lost to the mists of Time and Pharmaceuticals. Off the top of my head Clapton, Mayall, The Who, Stones, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers (with Duane and Barry), Richard Thompson, Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Steve Miller Band, Jason Isbell, Charlie Daniels, Ringo and the All-Stars, Jewel, Uriah Heap, Jimmy Buffett, .38 Special, Johnny Clegg, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Oliver Mtukudzi, Crosby Stills and Nash, I'm missing a lot of them. Love live music, but the actual going to the concert is a pain in the ass these days, all sorts of rules and security and bullshit.
I’ve only seen Mayall, Ringo, Stones, Thompson and one Who, Entwhistle, of those.
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:14 am

I'm not much for concerts anymore because of my hearing, but I've seen Yes, Donovan, Bob Dylan, Johnny Clegg, Tracey Chapman, the B-52's, Joni Mitchell, B.B.King, Chick Corea, Elton John, The Who, Neil Young, Gregg Allman, Al Di Meola, The Judds, Shawn Colvin, Bruce Springsteen, Bruce Hornsby, Jackson Brown, Nelson Rangell, and Randy Travis. Those are the ones I remember.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein
"Wisdom requires a flexible mind." - Dan Carlin
"If you vote for idiots, idiots will run the country." - Dr. Kori Schake