Your favourite three chord tunes

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Re: Your favourite three chord tunes

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 8:27 am

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 am
It's because I'm poor, and I don't have a landline (so I have to get wireless internet, which is far more expensive). Most people have unlimited data.

But in a lovely coincidence, I just called my provider to get a bit more data this month, and they signed me up for a new contract that is $12 cheaper per month and gives me double the data! :toot: :toot: :toot:
Sorry what is wireless internet? Are you out in the country? Dont have a land line telephone?

I always check with my provider about once a month. Last month they increased my speed for nothing.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 30, 2018 9:29 am

You had your speed increased?? Everyone here is on the maximum speed. There is only one speed (per delivery technology). Netherlands falling behind the civilised world... :nono:

Wireless internet is, well wireless internet over the GSM (i.e. mobile phone) network, i.e. 3G and 4G or whatever version they are up to now.

There's no phone line to my caravan/cabin, and I can't afford to pay for one. I think it's something like $300 (and that was a few years ago when I last checked) to get one in. The calculation might change for me soon, as the NBN (the national broadband network - i.e. doing away with ADSL and replacing it with fibre optic) is being installed in our town imminently. I expect it will be cheaper per month than mobile internet, and will have unlimited data (or close enough to it), and will be faster.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 am

Do you know what maximum speed is. Nothing over the mobile network is going to be fast. I can get a fibre optic connection if I want but I dont need it so why change? I am from the old school: if it works leave it. If I ever feel I need an update I will do it but at present I dont. I have been using adsl for twenty years with no problems.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

We're on fiberoptic here, but we're not on the highest connection speed they provide. We're on a 75/75 line, which is more than enough. Never noticed any problems. We can use the cell phones as a mobile hotspot, no idea what the actual speeds are but you can stream video. We need to look into it a bit more when we move onto the boat later this year, no wires out on the water. True satellite is prohibitively expensive, and you generally can't use an omnidirectional antenna.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Exactly lak. You dont get anymore with high speed. Your computer can be a bigger problem than your connection. When I got my first 56k modem what a luxury.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 30, 2018 2:44 pm

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 30, 2018 3:06 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 9:35 am
Do you know what maximum speed is.
Yeah, by definition the fastest speed. If you had your speed increased, then by definition you weren't getting the fastest speed you could. We all get maximum speed here (although, that may be different with the new NBN. I haven't checked.

Regarding ADSL2+ vs 4G, they are about the same speed. 5G, which is coming pretty soon, will shit all over both of them and go close to the speeds of fibre optic.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Wed May 30, 2018 3:09 pm

Do you know what maximum speed is
I know what maximum speed is.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:12 pm

pErvinalia wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:06 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Yeah, by definition the fastest speed. If you had your speed increased, then by definition you weren't getting the fastest speed you could. We all get maximum speed here (although, that may be different with the new NBN. I haven't checked.

Regarding ADSL2+ vs 4G, they are about the same speed. 5G, which is coming pretty soon, will shit all over both of them and go close to the speeds of fibre optic.
Speed at a certain moment does not matter anymore. Do you have a machine that can take advantage that is more important?

I basically dont need anymore speed as I dont download that much and what I have is more than adequate.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 30, 2018 3:14 pm

Love that movie. I was just thinking about it the other day as I was watching Terminator and noticed for the first time that one of the thugs in the opening scenes, that Arnie kills for their clothes, is the baddy out of Cobra. You can't mistake that face...

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 30, 2018 3:19 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:12 pm
pErvinalia wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:06 pm
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Speed at a certain moment does not matter anymore. Do you have a machine that can take advantage that is more important?

I basically dont need anymore speed as I dont download that much and what I have is more than adequate.
If a small gigabit wifi modem can handle Gb/sec, then I'm sure most modern computers can handle it too. The more relevant piece of equipment might be whether the TV can handle it. An 8K TV live streaming will have to be sucking huge amounts of data. Someone has probably done all these calculations somewhere.

Scot Dutchy

Post by Scot Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

I dont see the problem. I dont have problems so why look for them. I dont. I think we have totally different life styles. I never watch streams. Cant stand them. But I hardly watch films. The amount of films and crap that some seem to watch amazes me.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Wed May 30, 2018 5:14 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm
I never watch streams. Cant stand them.
There's a shock.. :bored: