Difficult Music

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Difficult Music

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon May 28, 2018 5:41 pm

--not necessarily for the player, but for the listener... It may be because you can't find your place in it, or because it never gets anywhere, or because it pulls you mercilessly in a single direction -forever- or it completely disorients you, whatever, it's just difficult. Post that music here.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Difficult Music

Post by Rum » Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm

That's lovely. Mind you I like a lot of jazz.

How about this:

Last edited by Rum on Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm

Some discordance in that piece. Can find something there myself. Got plenty of Jazz and that aspect is a learnt aspect, not natural to go from a 0 to 1 and even less a 0 to 1000, although it does help to have some experience of Laplacian operators to understand the possibility here.

I hate Wagner, know its popular in Hollywood as is the whole superman trope, made myself listen to his Ring cycle all through. All 12 hours of it, not the condensed version here. It was torture. Masochism.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/aus ... mins-video
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w02O-Xd ... w02O-XdsXE[/youtube]

You can also try some Wild Man Fischer.

Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 pm

laklak wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:36 pm
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w02O-Xd ... w02O-XdsXE[/youtube]

You can also try some Wild Man Fischer.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHqR1Rql5r8 youtube]
Wow a blast from the past. I bought this ‘rarity’ back in 1970 when I was trying to cultivate an image of being a bit out there. This poor sap was a Zappa victim sadly. Zappa ‘discovered’ him and provide a label for him. The guy was seriously mentally ill unfortunately. Not one of Zappa’s finest hours.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon May 28, 2018 8:38 pm

That's lovely. Mind you I like a lot of jazz.
Let's not associate difficult with bad. It can be difficult and bad, or just difficult, or just bad etc. For the purposes of this thread it's not necessary that you think the music is bad, just difficult. The jazz is definitely difficult because it requires effort on my part to discover if I'll enjoy it or not. Some difficult music may not be difficult for you anymore, but you can still post the music if it ever was difficult for you.

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Mon May 28, 2018 8:53 pm

Eclectic. I like it, laklak.

And now feel the difficulty of drawn bows across their melancholy sound boxes in mildly discordant disquietude.

The Haxan Cloak - Disorder

Thank you.
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon May 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Some people feel that the work of composer Aaron Funk, known also as Venetian Snares, is a kind of tuned car wreck, but I find it strangely beautiful. The following selections are from what some refer to as his romantic period.

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 29, 2018 1:29 am

I was a big Midnight Oils fan when I was younger (still love some of their music, just don't really listen to it anymore), and this song used to be really hard for me to listen to. I'm generally lyric deaf. By that, I mean that lyrics to me are often more like another musical instrument than a message of words. So I'd loved this song, but hadn't really paid any attention to the words that were spoken. I should say, that Midnight Oil in general were one of the bands who's lyrics I did actually pay attention to, as they usually contained a political message that I also held strongly myself. But this song wasn't political, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, one day I saw an interview on the tele with the lead singer, Peter Garrett, and he explained that this song was about family and how he's mourned the loss of his mother and father. And he was very emotional and cracking up while he explained this. And this hit me really hard, as I'd lost both of my parents when I was young, my father only a few years before hearing this song. So all of a sudden it became this mournful cry. Peter Garrett was heavily involved with environmental issues in the rainforests of Tasmania, the same rainforests I had walked and come to absolutely love. A temperate rainforest is a cold and often kind of bleak place, but has a solitary beauty and wilderness quality. So the "valley" in this song was always a cold and dense rainforest valley in the Tasmanian wilderness. I used to picture him or I walking this valley mourning the loss of the people we loved most. It became a very emotional song for me.

To preface the following, I have never before now seen the music clip of this song. I also haven't listened to the song for probably near on 20 years. So I found the vevo music clip, and, lol. It's all bright colours and happy people strumming guitars in beautiful and relaxed parts of Australia. And the guitars! Their notes are bright and clear and cheerful! Not at all as I remember the song, nor as I expected the video clip to appear. :D. Anyway, mourning the loss of my parents is in the far distant past. So I haven't had to reach for the pharmaceuticals after watching this now.

I should add that Peter Garrett's music is difficult for me now because of his most recent political activities where he sold out his ethics and became the environment minister for the largely neoliberal Australian Labor Party. I think he learnt a harsh lesson there. He should have joined the Greens, the tool.
Last edited by pErvinalia on Tue May 29, 2018 1:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 am

By the way, if anyone should get to play Peter Garrett in the movie of his life, it should be Hugh Laurie... :D

"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 am

LucidFlight wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:53 pm
Eclectic. I like it, laklak.

And now feel the difficulty of drawn bows across their melancholy sound boxes in mildly discordant disquietude.

The Haxan Cloak - Disorder

Thank you.
This reminds me (because of bows on cello-y strings) of other music I find hard to listen to. Anything that has dark under- (or over-) tones. So that includes some metal, or anything about suicide. But in terms of bows across the strings, with a mix of metal too, it's got to be Apocalyptica. But it's not one of their "metal" songs that I find the most wrenching to listen to, it's this song. To be clear, I fucking love it, but it's just a real psychological workout for me to listen to it.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue May 29, 2018 1:58 am

The Well Tempered Clavier starts off easily enough. The first praeludium could just about serve as elevator music. The following fugue is almost as innocuous, but you'll already get the impression that Bach is going somewhere, and where it is he's going becomes clear soon enough by the time the second fugue starts. The Well Tempered Clavier is a four hour lesson and thesis rolled into one. Before long I just sit there uncomprehendingly, though still enjoying the sheer spectacle. Background noise it is not.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue May 29, 2018 2:08 am

When I was younger and more concerned about my image, it was de rigueur for all us young Gen X slackers to like and know about all the weird-arse side projects our favourite musicians/bands had. And being a Faith No More fan, and particularly a Mike Patton fan, I tortured myself trying to listen to and understand the following type of shit from one of his weird side projects - Mr Bungle.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor

Post by Sean Hayden » Tue May 29, 2018 3:59 am

There have been some great posts already! :cheers:

While looking for something by Sofia Gubaidulina that I've forgotten the name of I stumbled across this:

http://saariaho.org/works/nymphea-reflection/

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue May 29, 2018 4:30 am

Rahsaan Roland Kirk. One fuck of a saxophonist, but ….

Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.