Shirley Manson on How the Music Industry Screws Over Artists

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:32 am

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Re: Shirley Manson on How the Music Industry Screws Over Art

Post by Hermit » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:07 am

cronus wrote:Shirley Manson on How the Music Industry Screws Over Artists

1:31 "...and the artist makes nothing." Shirley Manson's net worth appears to be $16 Million. That's quite a desirable amount of nothing.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:51 pm

It's nothing in comparison to how the education industry screws over maths teachers! :lay:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:49 am

I thought this was going to be a thread about Marilyn Manson's brother - Shirley. Disappoint. :nono:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:39 am

Good deal for unknown Shirley to audition with Wisconsin dudes. I saw two of the dudes in Madison bar bands 1975-1980.

She then sang and wrote lyrics for Garbage. Bands make most income now from concerts. Just recording an album gets you nothing unless you are Beyonce or rap dudes.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:14 am

Tero wrote:Good deal for unknown Shirley to audition with Wisconsin dudes. I saw two of the dudes in Madison bar bands 1975-1980.

She then sang and wrote lyrics for Garbage. Bands make most income now from concerts. Just recording an album gets you nothing unless you are Beyonce or rap dudes.
Most people don't invest in high end audio equipment to listen anymore. Ultimately discernment is losing out to mass appeal. When are these trade winds towards the lowest common denominator gonna change? There was a study done a couple of years ago showing music was more complex both in instrumentation and via lyrics compared with today. A objective measure of the garbage making up today's sound, then there's autotune - no singing ability required and it's gonna sound unique after the sound engineer is finished, exactly like all the other singers who use autotune. It isn't merely old folks saying it's all turned to crap. Why I listen to most music from the last century and very little from this. On a reasonable hi-fi with reasonable headphones.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:38 am

Ever was it so it seems. Michael Jackson ended up owning all Lennon and McCartney's music because they had never owned the rights - I think Jackson bought the rights from Sony. I think it took a lot of wrangling for them to get some money out of the industry they helped create around them.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:11 pm

The least you have to do is own your songs. Bands tend to be well set with management, production etc run on their own. Recording can be expensive (studio and mikes..software is cheap), so you need at least break even income for mp3 track sales. Then you finally make income on tour. You have to own the songs to make income.

A handful of Finnish bands now turned into corporations where the main song writers and singer leader own the band. The other players are employees. Those can’t lose, guaranteed salary.

This trio has two members and one salaried musician:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apulanta

The band does all the management and producer stuff. All the stuff they can't do is handed off to professionals. You deduct the expenses those years there is an album and a tour, as those years make more income. Their manager is part investment expert, she deals with finances and books shows but does not tour. She gets a salary. She is able to do other work in banking or contracts, she handles the real estate they own. The touring is festivals for 3 months, clubs 9 months.

The Finnish WIKI version says the Apulanta corporation gets 80% income from real estate investments. They were very popular for 5 years and all the extra income would have been taxed heavily, so the manager invested the cash in real estate.

Tero
Just saying

Post by Tero » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:11 pm

The point of all that was to pay corporate rate income tax and spread the good income among many years.