Rock n Roll - dead, on life support, or just in a coma?

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: Rock n Roll - dead, on life support, or just in a coma?

Post by Seabass » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:16 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:there was a lot of rock born in the 1980s.
What's that? You say rock didn't die in the '80s because new kinds of rock had been born to replace the old rock from previous decades?

Interesting. :lol:
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:25 pm

There are some great rock bands out now. Queens of the Stone Age, Mastodon, Baroness, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and more besides.

And as for this whole "Who is today's Beatles?" bollox, they're right here.

Or any other tame, inoffensive, la-di-da boy band shite you can think of out now.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:55 pm

Seabass wrote:
What's that? You say rock didn't die in the '80s because new kinds of rock had been born to replace the old rock from previous decades?

Yes.

So, what are the significant new ROCK bands now? Miley Cyrus? One Direction?

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Animavore wrote:There are some great rock bands out now. Queens of the Stone Age, Mastodon, Baroness, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and more besides.

And as for this whole "Who is today's Beatles?" bollox, they're right here.

Or any other tame, inoffensive, la-di-da boy band shite you can think of out now.

Queens of the Stone Age are almost 20 years old. That's the Beatles of the 2010's? LOL

Mastodon and Dillinger Escape Plan have been around for almost 15 years. Baroness is 10 years old, but at least they are Rock. Baroness isn't bad, but they are hardly notorious or all that successful

Are the Rock bands of the 2010s, pretty much those that started before 2000, which some few exceptions? That is what it is starting to seem like....

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:That's the Beatles of the 2010's? LOL
They are the perfect successors to The Beatles. A bunch of squeaky clean boys playing derivative pop music to a bunch of screaming girls who can't decide which one is their favourite. In fact it's arguable they are now bigger than The Beatles which, using argument ad populum Beatle-fan logic, means they're the best thing ever.

http://www.sheknows.com/entertainment/a ... he-beatles

Oh! Did you think The Beatles were rock? :lol:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:24 pm

There's no money in the music business now and with that big disease with a little name the other draw is less too.
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:46 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Yes.

Dude, several rock bands have already been named in this thread. If you don't feel they are worthy of "rock" status, well, I'd say that's a personal problem. You are not the the ultimate arbiter of what qualifies as "rock" music.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Seabass wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Yes.

Dude, several rock bands have already been named in this thread. If you don't feel they are worthy of "rock" status, well, I'd say that's a personal problem. You are not the the ultimate arbiter of what qualifies as "rock" music.
I've addressed them. The 1990s were a long time ago.

It's not that they're not worthy of "rock" status, it's that a 15 year old band is not evidence that rock TODAY continues to thrive. Where are the great new bands? Where is the Guns n Roses of 1986 today, within the last 3 years?

I wouldn't have cited Ozzy Osbourne or the Grateful Dead as evidence that Rock is alive and well in 1985. 1985 had its own Rock.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:07 pm

Folk-rock is alive at least over this side of the pond. Maybe not rock in the classic sense but it is authentic and does have some catchy hooks that can be played loud.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Yes.

It's not that they're not worthy of "rock" status, it's that a 15 year old band is not evidence that rock TODAY continues to thrive. Where are the great new bands? Where is the Guns n Roses of 1986 today, within the last 3 years?

I wouldn't have cited Ozzy Osbourne or the Grateful Dead as evidence that Rock is alive and well in 1985. 1985 had its own Rock.
Some of the bands named in this thread are younger than 15 years.

tattuchu
a dickload of cocks
About me: I'm having trouble with the trolley.

Post by tattuchu » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Of course there are active rock bands currently, and some of them might even be pretty decent. But there are no big important vital bands, bands that anyone will give a shit about years from now, and rock music as a whole has pretty much played itself out. It may not be dead or in a coma. It's more like a god that gets smaller and smaller, and less and less powerful as fewer and fewer people believe in it. It has little substance these days.
People think "queue" is just "q" followed by 4 silent letters.

But those letters are not silent.

They're just waiting their turn.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:16 am

Dadaism is dead. I weep for humanity.

cronus
Black Market Analyst

Post by cronus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:43 am

Rock is like classical. It won't die but you can't say it's alive either. :coffee:

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:27 am

Scrumple wrote:Rock is like classical. It won't die but you can't say it's alive either. :coffee:
Sounds more like Schroedinger's cat; in which case it's quantum, not classical... ;)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

MrFungus420

Post by MrFungus420 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:43 am

Coito ergo sum wrote:
Seabass wrote:
Coito ergo sum wrote:
Seabass wrote:

Yes.

And, along with that, you also dismissed anything from the mid-2000s as too old to count as well (actually, any band from earlier than 2010).

So, let's see if I've figured out the criteria:
1) YOU have to think that it counts as "good rock and roll".
2) It has to be incredibly popular.
3) Even if it is an active band producing new music and new hits, it doesn't count unless the band is less than three years old.
4) Any genre of music is "dead. on life support , or just in a coma" if it doesn't produce bands producing major, mainstream hits every three years or less.

Did I miss anything?
P1: I am a nobody.
P2: Nobody is perfect.
C: Therefore, I am perfect