Jazz

MiM
Man In The Middle

Re: Jazz

Post by MiM » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 am

Rum wrote: Here's the ace as far as 'lead bass' is concerned. Personally I think he should have taken up the guitar! But that doesn't take anything away from the guy. (the main solo stuff is half way in)

Groovy :tup: Thank's Rum
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:38 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:41 am

I love this thread! At least every third music post leads to really enjoyable tangents on Spotify. We're set with really groovy jazz for quite some time, it seems. :td:
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:46 am

Feel the groove within you little one. :D
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:46 am

Every right-thinking person hates the banjo, but this album has made me wonder if such hatred can really be as reasonable, pure and noble as my granny brought me up to believe...
What say yooz?

Frank Zappa

fretmeister
About me: Magician, Entertainer, Balloon Modeller, Skeptic, Singer, Bassist, Guitarist, all round audience addict! (I'm also a lawyer but don't tell anyone)

Post by fretmeister » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I much prefer Michael Manring for bass, especially his unaccompanied tunes.

Ive just bought a couple of Esperanza Spalding CDs and I think she's wonderful. Beautiful floating voice and great composition.
MusicRadar is dead. Long Live http://thefretboard.co.uk/

fretmeister
About me: Magician, Entertainer, Balloon Modeller, Skeptic, Singer, Bassist, Guitarist, all round audience addict! (I'm also a lawyer but don't tell anyone)

Post by fretmeister » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Rum wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:
Rum wrote:I never get the idea of playing lead on a bass. Its a BASS after all. However he does it rather excellently doesn't he!?
Did you never listen to Stanley Clarke? Or Jaco Pastorius? Or Marcus Miller? You should!
Not Marcos Miller, but the others, yes. I think my point still stands though. The bass is after all limited in its range. Not to take anything away from these talented guys.
It has a bigger range than the sax or clarinet! (depending on frets and string count of course)

I've played bass for about 25 years and I love guys that push the envelope. I play guitar and sax too, but I prefer bass, simply because of the tonality of the instrument.

Sometimes playing a piece in a lower range brings out a richer harmonic content. Edger Meyer's Unaccompanied Bach Cello pieces performed on the double bass have a richness the cello can't match. It's an amazing cd, one of my all time favourites.

Thumpalumpacus
About me: Texan by birth, musician by nature, writer by avocation, freethinker by inclination.

Post by Thumpalumpacus » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:28 pm

My favorite jazz guitarist, hands down:

The premier jazz fingerstyle guitarist, for my money:

Finish your glass of wine, turn the lights low, and swing the missus a slow waltz. This is the best lovin' music I've ever heard:

It's very much pop with jazz overtones, not jazz-proper, but Wayne Shorter is fucking brilliant (starting at 3:52):

Rum wrote:Not Marcos Miller, but the others, yes. I think my point still stands though. The bass is after all limited in its range. Not to take anything away from these talented guys.
A bass has a four-, sometimes a five-octave range. I'm not big on bass solos, but that's not because of the instrument, for me, but rather the approach most bassists take.

Another great bassist not mentioned yet is John Pattitucci, who plays both upright and solid-body bass with beautiful taste and fierce chops:
these are things we think we know
these are feelings we might even share
these are thoughts we hide from ourselves
these are secrets we cannot lay bare.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:51 pm

Charlie Watts doing Mingus. And doing him justice too...
Check out Keith Richards down-home acoustic blues.... :biggrin:

Other parts here.

Frank Zappa

fretmeister

Post by fretmeister » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Stanley Clark, Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten - all together on the album SMV - Thunder

Interview first, tune starts at about 4mins 20 ish

fretmeister

Post by fretmeister » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Michael Manring on the Hyperbass (Not sure it's jazz, but I love it)

and Piccolo bassist Xander Zon

(deffo not jazz, this tune but so beautifllu and cleverly arranged)

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:31 pm

fretmeister wrote:(Not sure it's jazz, but I love it)
Hey, jazz is a state of mind man. :D :smoke:

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:05 pm

Frank Zappa

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:52 am

Frank Zappa

fretmeister

Post by fretmeister » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Damn!! I really enjoyed that!

Wasn't familiar with him. - Itunes here we come!