Jazz

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Jazz

Post by Rum » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:16 pm

I'm a big fan of jazz, in particular bebop, the jazz from the late 40s up to the early sixties and also of newer experimatal stuff. Finding new good stuff is quite hard though and I tend to dip in and out of ITunes, search for internet radio stations and so on. We have so called JazzFM, now a digi station here, but frankly it is crap and it steers a middle course that isn't identifiable at all.

Oh I hate Dixieland jazz almost as much as I love Miles Davis, Monk and the like.

Any suggestions - that is if any one else likes the genre of course?

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Re: Jazz

Post by maiforpeace » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 pm

Pat Metheny ROCKS JAZZES.

He's been a favorite of mine for years. "Secret Story" is a great album, as are his others. He tours internationally all the time too, so if you have a chance to see him go, you won't regret it since he's as good, if not better live.

Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:52 pm

Walter Pater once famously remarked that, "All art constantly aspires towards the condition of music."

I say, "All music constantly aspires towards the condition of Jazz," as all music is rooted in improvisation.

I'm a fan of all schools of Jazz - even some Dixieland (or New Orleans style) Jazz, and even more surprisingly Texan Swing (a 1940s hybrid of Country and Big Band swing).

However, like yourself Rum, I am hip to the jive and favour that music which developed during the mid-forties from those musicians that were spared the horrors of WWII. Whether hot or cool, East coast or West coast, US, European, or Mongolian, all Jazz can be divided into the categories identified by Edward 'Duke' Ellington, and summed up thusly in his aposite remarks...
  • "There's only two types of music; the good stuff, and the other stuff."
:D

Among the former category I am currently enjoying the chubby honkings of saxophonist Joel Frahm, here pumping one out with Kenny Barron (pno), Rufus Reid (bss) and Victor Lewis (drs) Live At Sweet Rhythm in NY, 2007.
Mr Lewis is brutal!
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:14 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:24 am

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:26 am

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 am

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:17 am

Rum, you need to shoot some heroin, jazz is much better to play or hear that way.

A two album band: Back Door. Flute bass and drums.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:02 am

Speaking of illicit drugs, the closest I've ever come to having a religious experience was when I bought Miles' Dark Magus, dropped acid, and looped it for five hours.

Seabass

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:03 am

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks guys. The only one of these I have not come across is Alice Coltrane. Jazz Harp? I like it! I assume there is a family connection with the late great?

Mai - I saw Path Metheny live in Birmingham a few years ago. I was very impressed!

Here's something from an album I bought recently. Enjoy!

M
Arm wrestling champion

Post by M » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:19 am

For jazz recordings, my favourite has to be Coltrane's version of My Favourite Things.
Bloody Greta Garbo

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:58 am

Talking of illicit drugs...
:smoke:
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:17 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWrLXDK ... re=related[/youtube]

A personal favourite.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:09 pm

One of the finest Jazz musicians working in the UK today. Gilad Atzmon Band plays 'Liberating the American People' at the Union Chapel,London, 2006.
:smoke:

Frank Zappa