The metal thread.

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

The metal thread.

Post by redunderthebed » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:31 pm

Awesome music too bad the guy died of alcohol i think. :( RIP jesse pintado.

F*cking awesome track. :eddie: Terrorizer is a diamond in the rough.

Cannibal Corpse. :eddie:

Morbid Angel :eddie:

Enjoy!
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Which is probably why she went unnoticed among a crowd of Christians.
Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail
About me: Barfly

Re: The metal thread.

Post by Chinaski » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Is there for honest poverty
That hangs his heid and a' that
The coward slave, we pass him by
We dare be puir for a' that.

Imagehttp://imagegen.last.fm/iTunesFIXED/rec ... mphony.gif[/img2]

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard
About me: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in each hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Post by redunderthebed » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:38 am

FrigidSymphony wrote:http://www.myspace.com/soulsmirror

Opinions?
It's not bad the vocals got on my nerves at times.
Trolldor wrote:Ahh cardinal Pell. He's like a monkey after a lobotomy and three lines of cocaine.
The Pope was today knocked down at the start of Christmas mass by a woman who hopped over the barriers. The woman was said to be, "Mentally unstable."

Cormac wrote: One thing of which I am certain. The world is a better place with you in it. Stick around please. The universe will eventually get around to offing all of us. No need to help it in its efforts...

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:27 am

redunderthebed wrote:

Opinions?
Yeah we're working on that...

Ok, debate: Is Metallica still relevant? Or Megadeth, for that matter?

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:28 am

FrigidSymphony wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:

Opinions?

No.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:30 am

Is thrash as a genre still relevant?

redunderthebed
Commie Bastard

Post by redunderthebed » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:17 am

FrigidSymphony wrote:
redunderthebed wrote:

Opinions?

I like metallica older stuff there newer stuff is crap and i love megadeth and both have contributed alot to metal so i'd say they are relevant to metal.
FrigidSymphony wrote:Is thrash as a genre still relevant?
Of course it is there is heaps of thrash bands heaps of metal heads still listen to it.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:21 am

But the genre hasn't progressed in 15 years. Is it STILL relevant today??

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:22 am

FrigidSymphony wrote:But the genre hasn't progressed in 15 years. Is it STILL relevant today??
Relevant to what exactly?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:44 am

To the growth and development of the metal scene today. It seems to me that new thrash bands are just wishing they were playing 20 years ago. Is anyone bringing anything worthwhile to the scene?

JasonK
About me: I do computer stuff. I have 2 cats and the best girlfriend in the whole world.

Re: Family, obligation and rituals

Post by JasonK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:13 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:Fuck you, I have metal cred, I just also have folk, pop, country and classical cred. Why one has to be musically close-minded, I don't know. Counting Crows are great, I love the lyrics, and the guy has great vocal lines. And Paramore has killer production, the chick can fucking sing, and the songwriting is great, incorporating catchy melodies with the occasional math rockish riff.
Nobody said you have to stick to one genre. Not that I saw.
In fact, a prog punk band has the #2 spot on my Last.fm list (and number 3 is The Economist). There's good music across all genres, you just seem to be missing out on it in favor of listening to lowest-common-denominator radio douchebaggery. That's ok, though, if you want to be fed the garbage that the labels want you to suck down.

I just find it amusing that I don't even consider myself to be a metal head but have far more metal in my list (and far more metal cred) than you do. :razzle:

Oh, and the Paramore chick is ok. But there are better choices, vocally and especially musically. Stolen Babies, Made Out of Babies, Battle of Mice, and Lacuna Coil, to name a quick few.
Deep within this endless void
searching for a sign.
The vessel forged inside of me
watches over, like the death of the moon

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Existentialist1844
Clique Infiltrator
About me: Trying to avoid existential despair.

Post by Existentialist1844 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:14 pm

JasonK wrote:
FrigidSymphony wrote:Fuck you, I have metal cred, I just also have folk, pop, country and classical cred. Why one has to be musically close-minded, I don't know. Counting Crows are great, I love the lyrics, and the guy has great vocal lines. And Paramore has killer production, the chick can fucking sing, and the songwriting is great, incorporating catchy melodies with the occasional math rockish riff.
In fact, a prog punk band has the #2 spot on my Last.fm list (and number 3 is The Economist). There's good music across all genres, you just seem to be missing out on it in favor of listening to lowest-common-denominator radio douchebaggery. That's ok, though, if you want to be fed the garbage that the labels want you to suck down.

I just find it amusing that I don't even consider myself to be a metal head but have far more metal in my list (and far more metal cred) than you do. :razzle:

Oh, and the Paramore chick is ok. But there are better choices, vocally and especially musically. Stolen Babies, Made Out of Babies, Battle of Mice, and Lacuna Coil, to name a quick few.
Exactly. I dont consider myself a "metal head" either.

I guess FS is a poser. :dono:
"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength."

:pounce:

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:18 pm

JasonK wrote:

I like all of those as well. I'm not listening to "lowest-common-denominator" shit, I'm trying to find some value in everything. I listen to a LOT of metal, I'm just trying to do more. I'm not letting myself be fed record label garbage, I'm trying to find good stuff to extract musical value from.

Oh and btw, the newest Lacuna Coil album is like a boring version of Paramore. It's basically pop.

JasonK
About me: I do computer stuff. I have 2 cats and the best girlfriend in the whole world.

Post by JasonK » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:26 pm

FrigidSymphony wrote:
JasonK wrote:

I like all of those as well. I'm not listening to "lowest-common-denominator" shit, I'm trying to find some value in everything. I listen to a LOT of metal, I'm just trying to do more. I'm not letting myself be fed record label garbage, I'm trying to find good stuff to extract musical value from.

Oh and btw, the newest Lacuna Coil album is like a boring version of Paramore. It's basically pop.
Is it?
I haven't heard it at all, but that doesn't surprise me much.
Have you heard Battle of Mice?

So good.

And unfortunately, not everything has value. Some of it really just is corporate bullshit.
Deep within this endless void
searching for a sign.
The vessel forged inside of me
watches over, like the death of the moon

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

Chinaski
Mazel tov cocktail

Post by Chinaski » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:34 pm

It's not really song-oriented, but it's very fresh. I'd have to listen to an entire album though, to get the full impact, I imagine, and right now I'm too busy getting through Ki, Heaven & Hell and the new Hammers of Misfortune.

Btw I'm moving these last posts into the metal thread in the music section.