Gun immunity law

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Gun immunity law

Post by Tero » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:47 am

“I couldn’t believe it when Senator Sanders said the parents of the Sandy Hook children did not deserve their day in court, largely because he voted for the bill that gave special protection — immunity from liability — to the gun makers and sellers. I was in the Senate at the time, so was Barack Obama. I voted against it. Barack Obama voted against it. Bernie Sanders voted for it.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fac ... s-lawsuit/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protectio ... n_Arms_Act
It was signed into law on October 26, 2005, by President George W. Bush and became Public Law 109-92. Wayne LaPierre of the National Rifle Association thanked President Bush for signing the Act, for which it had lobbied, describing it as "...the most significant piece of pro-gun legislation in twenty years into law."
https://esapolitics.blogspot.com
http://esabirdsne.blogspot.com/
Said Peter...what you're requesting just isn't my bag
Said Daemon, who's sorry too, but y'see we didn't have no choice
And our hands they are many and we'd be of one voice
We've come all the way from Wigan to get up and state
Our case for survival before it's too late

Turn stone to bread, said Daemon Duncetan
Turn stone to bread right away...

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Gun immunity law

Post by JimC » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:57 am

Bernie is a secret Sethian! :shock:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:06 am

Ffs. Gun makers aren't liable for criminals. If guns are protected in your constitution, then by common sense so should gun makers and sellers as long as they operate within the law.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:15 am

Indeed, but isn't there a public health issue that deserves some regulatory oversight, like with the manufacture and sale of cigarettes - the purveyors of which cannot market their products to children for example? It seems reasonable to make it offence to sell a gun to you know you shouldn't, just like it is a criminal offence to sell cigarettes to children.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:01 am

Sure. Make it law. If manufacturers and sellers comply with the law then it is wrong to sue them for doing so. Same goes for any business.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:35 am

Just a bunch of anti-gun imaginative lawyers trying to get the courts to "outlaw" something instead of the proper legal way of laws.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:17 pm

Well it's absolutely right that the gun sellers were not resposible for getting the guns in the hands of the Sandy Hook killer. His mom did. We need to regulate guns better. The mom did not need all those guns.

But thegun makers need to be regulated somehow. After Sandy Hook, ever more guns were sold. We could make their advertisement and sales pitch focus on safer guns. All guns are made ready to shoot. Grandma sleeps with gun under pillow and 4 year old dies.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:31 pm

Every time there's a mass shooting gun sales spike, because immediately afterwards the anti-gunners start screaming about banning them. People stock up. Obama has been the greatest gun salesman ever.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 pm

laklak wrote:Every time there's a mass shooting gun sales spike, because immediately afterwards the anti-gunners start screaming about banning them. People stock up. Obama has been the greatest gun salesman ever.
Oh no, that means moar guns, therefore we need moar guns, which means... Oh no, that means moar guns, therefore we need moar guns....

I can't see the gun and ammo manufacturers having a problem with that, and if inappropriate and criminal gun use drives sales then they have an economic interest in people using guns criminally and inappropriately - so it makes perfect sense to lobby for a law which absolves them from even the threat of prosecution for putting guns in the hands of people they know shouldn't have them.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.

There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Only a matter of time before there are calls to sue pen manufacturers because their products were used by malfeasants to sign the appropriate forms.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:39 pm

Them ink suppliers aren't going to get away scotch-free either.

Frank Zappa

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Just imagine if the far right used the same legal concept. Mass arrests of polticians and activists for allowing muslim refugees into the country. You could sue their groups financially and jail their members as accessories to rape and murder.
Judges that allow under human rights laws criminal immigrants to remain would be easy targets. And once those judges are replaced......
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Then you should arrest all the politicians and activist for all rapes and murdurs, being as they now seem to be responsible for allowing that to happen.

Frank Zappa

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:33 pm

Screw arrest. Lynch the fuckers!
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.