Pin number

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Pin number

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:19 pm

We can extend that further. Every gun needs to have an advanced A.I. chip, and the gun itself can decide in any given situation whether to shoot...

Or maybe even who to shoot...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Hermit wrote:Perfect match for the ATM machine.
Why? You can guns from an ATM?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Blind groper wrote:Seth

You really should learn to appreciate numbers. You would be much safer unarmed in my country than armed to the teeth in the USA.
No I wouldn't.
You cannot be shot when people do not have guns (New Zealand),
Except that people in New Zealand, specifically murderous criminals, DO have guns, not to mention cricket bats, rocks, sticks, knives, broken beer bottles, boots, fists and any of a thousand other items that can be used to cause physical injury, against all of which a handgun is the best, most effective personal defense weapon ever invented.
while you can readily be shot when guns are widely available (USA).

A person can be shot anywhere on the planet, even where guns are banned, which is something you simply seem incapable of understanding. You also seem incapable of understanding that guns are not the only deadly weapons out there against which a gun in the hands of the potential victim can effectively defend.
Having guns yourself will not prevent you getting shot.
Except that it does, every day, all over the planet, which is why the police carry them and the military carries them, and private citizens in free countries carry them. Certainly it's not a guarantee, but it's better than the alternative, which is to have no effective defensive capability at all, like you.
In the USA, the average American lives 79 years. In that 79 years, there is a statistical risk of getting shot of 1 in 50.

More juvenile and ignorant pseudo-statistical argument that demonstrates your gross ignorance of statistics and how they are properly used.

That is not an acceptable risk. It is way too high.
What's not an acceptable risk is the utterly asinine idea that if my (pseudo)statistical risk of getting shot in a lifetime is 1 in 50 that I should be denied the opportunity to mitigate that risk by carrying adequate and effective defensive armament.

Make up your mind, if you are able. Either I'm at high risk for being shot and therefore NEED a gun (among other things) for self-defense or I am NOT at risk for being shot, in which case it does no one any harm at all for me to be armed anyway.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:22 pm

rainbow wrote:
Seth wrote: Who, exactly, confiscated your umbrella?
NYPD.
4th July celebration event, East River
Ah. Now that's very interesting. If I were you I'd file a complaint and a demand for compensation from the NYPD for an unconstitutional uncompensated taking of your private property. Unless, of course, you were given the option to either voluntarily surrender the umbrella or leave the venue, in which case you have no claim because you valued your participation in the event more than you valued the umbrella, which means they didn't "confiscate" it, they merely offered you a choice; turn over the umbrella voluntarily and be welcome to the event or go away, and you chose the former.

You see how easy it is for things not to be what they seem at first blush?
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:24 pm

Rum wrote:Only in America, Gun = good, Umbrella = very bad.
Well, only in NYC anyway. If it had been a firearm being carried concealed pursuant to an (extremely rare) NYC concealed carry permit, I doubt the police would have tried to confiscate the handgun at all.

You see, it's not WHAT the weapon is, it's WHO is carrying it that matters, even to the NYPD.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:28 pm

mistermack wrote:
Rum wrote:Only in America, Gun = good, Umbrella = very bad.
Where does it say in the constitution that Americans have the right to bear umbrellas?

You need to learn to think things through. :prof: ;)
Sarcasm aside, you're absolutely correct. Although, arguably, if the umbrella fell into the category of "arms", as, for example, sword-canes do, the question would become whether the weapon could be considered part of the "ordinary equipment" of the soldier or could be useful for "the common defense," and whether or not the person possessing it was properly permitted to possess it.

Anyway, the practice of the NYPD "confiscating" anything they think might be usable as a weapon is, of course, constitutionally highly suspect to begin with in any public place, because every individual there has a right to keep and bear arms for personal defense which the NYPD has no business infringing upon.

But of course we all know that the NYPD, like other police departments, often do whatever the fuck they want without the least regard for the law or the rights of citizens, and they will kick your ass into next Wednesday if you challenge their authority.

That makes them lawless jackbooted thugs when they do so, not observers of individual rights and the Constitution or obedient to their limited authority. Just because they CAN do something they think they need to do doesn't always mean they have a legal foundation or lawful authority for doing it. In fact, such behavior is one of the very reasons the 2nd Amendment exists, so that if and when the police decide to do whatever the fuck they want outside the law, the citizenry will be armed in self defense against such lawless actions, which is fully within the rights of the citizenry in putting down tyrants.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:34 pm

Blind groper wrote:Rain is the curse of the infidel. Muslims to a large extent live in the arid Middle East. Allah arranged for HIS followers to stay dry.

Recently, I was on the Nile, and obviously Allah was angry at having a terrible unbeliever (me) in HIS holy place, since he sent a terrible rain storm. First time in 50 years, just when I arrived. QED!
And if some Muslim fanatic had put two and two together and decided you needed to be stoned to death, what options did you have with which to defend yourself?

None, I'd venture.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:38 pm

Seth wrote:
Blind groper wrote:Rain is the curse of the infidel. Muslims to a large extent live in the arid Middle East. Allah arranged for HIS followers to stay dry.

Recently, I was on the Nile, and obviously Allah was angry at having a terrible unbeliever (me) in HIS holy place, since he sent a terrible rain storm. First time in 50 years, just when I arrived. QED!
And if some Muslim fanatic had put two and two together and decided you needed to be stoned to death, what options did you have with which to defend yourself?

None, I'd venture.
Neither would you, there, since you would not have been able, as a tourist, to bring one of your vast armoury of weapons to Egypt...
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:28 am

JimC wrote:
Seth wrote:

None, I'd venture.
Neither would you, there, since you would not have been able, as a tourist, to bring one of your vast armoury of weapons to Egypt...
And therein lies the point. Egypt does not ban stones, does it?

All it does is ban effective self defensive weapons for tourists...just like the UK, NZ, OZ and pretty much everywhere else on earth.

But do any of them offer 24/7 armed individual security?

Nope.

Which makes every nation that bans law-abiding people from being armed for self defense nothing more than totalitarian despots filled with scumbags who refuse to put down such tyranny.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:30 am

I doubt a tourist from another country would have easy access to guns in the US...
And my gin!

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:45 am

JimC wrote:I doubt a tourist from another country would have easy access to guns in the US...
Just buy a hunting license.
Is a valid hunting license or permit as an exception to the firearms prohibitions on nonimmigrant aliens only valid in the State in which it was issued?

No. A valid, unexpired hunting license or permit from any State within the United States satisfies the hunting license exception to the nonimmigrant alien prohibition. The hunting license or permit does not have to be from the State where the nonimmigrant alien is purchasing the firearm.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:01 am

So, how many tourists take up this sneaky legal tactic to be armed in the USA? I would think very, very few...
And my gin!

Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Post by Blind groper » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:14 am

[quote="Seth"]
Except that people in New Zealand, specifically murderous criminals, DO have guns, not to mention cricket bats, rocks, sticks, knives, broken beer bottles, boots, fists and any of a thousand other items that can be used to cause physical injury, against all of which a handgun is the best, most effective personal defense weapon ever invented.

quote]

That argument is shown to be a crock by the simple fact that the per capita murder rate in NZ is one fifth of that in the USA where people can carry hand guns.

As I have pointed out before, among the roughly 24 advanced western nations, the murder rate correlated highly with gun ownership. More guns means more murders, not less.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:31 am

JimC wrote:So, how many tourists take up this sneaky legal tactic to be armed in the USA? I would think very, very few...
Wouldn't know, but lots of furriners come here to hunt. If they don't care to take advantage of the law, that's their right.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:35 am

Blind groper wrote:
Seth wrote: Except that people in New Zealand, specifically murderous criminals, DO have guns, not to mention cricket bats, rocks, sticks, knives, broken beer bottles, boots, fists and any of a thousand other items that can be used to cause physical injury, against all of which a handgun is the best, most effective personal defense weapon ever invented.

That argument is shown to be a crock by the simple fact that the per capita murder rate in NZ is one fifth of that in the USA where people can carry hand guns.
And yet people get murdered, robbed, raped, kidnapped and assaulted in NZ every day, just like they do here and everywhere else on earth. The difference is that in NZ, there's fuck all a victim can do to effectively protect themselves because the fuckwits in charge deny everyone the right to carry defensive arms of any kind, including something as simple and non lethal as OC spray.

They really are dumbshits down there.