Pin number

Guns don't kill threads; Ratz kill threads!
Blind groper
About me: From New Zealand

Pin number

Post by Blind groper » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:43 pm

A recent proposal is to design guns so that a user has to punch in a 4 digit pin number before it would fire. What a great idea! The delay would cut both murders and suicides dramatically.

I know damn well, of course, that it could never be implemented, because of the outcry and opposition. I can just hear Seth saying it would prevent "self defense". Of course it would. "Self defense" with guns is a major cause of mega murders. Stopping it would be great.

Incidentally, I have just got back from an overseas holiday, in which I spent ten days in the USA (New York and Hawaii). It is always disconcerting when in that murderous nation to wonder which of the people I pass on the street are packing a tool for committing murder.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: Pin number

Post by JimC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:59 pm

Personal Identification Number number...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:24 am

Perfect match for the ATM machine.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:45 am

Blind groper wrote:A recent proposal is to design guns so that a user has to punch in a 4 digit pin number before it would fire. What a great idea! The delay would cut both murders and suicides dramatically.

I know damn well, of course, that it could never be implemented, because of the outcry and opposition. I can just hear Seth saying it would prevent "self defense". Of course it would. "Self defense" with guns is a major cause of mega murders. Stopping it would be great.

Incidentally, I have just got back from an overseas holiday, in which I spent ten days in the USA (New York and Hawaii). It is always disconcerting when in that murderous nation to wonder which of the people I pass on the street are packing a tool for committing murder.
I can't say I saw anyone besides cops carrying in New York. I believe they have different rules in different states. Strangely enough they confiscated our umbrella, which could've been used to fight off other umbrella wielding mass murderers.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:01 am

We should recommend this to the NRA association.
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:40 am

Good idea.

Another good idea would be for every sale of bullets would have to have an individual serial number stamped on every bullet. And have severe penalties for anybody found in possession of unstamped ammunition.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:21 pm

mistermack wrote:Good idea.

Another good idea would be for every sale of bullets would have to have an individual serial number stamped on every bullet. And have severe penalties for anybody found in possession of unstamped ammunition.
Even better, don't sell bullets and make it illegal to keep them.

The gun nuts can still have their penis substitutes, but can't shoot anyone.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:38 pm

Blind groper wrote:A recent proposal is to design guns so that a user has to punch in a 4 digit pin number before it would fire. What a great idea! The delay would cut both murders and suicides dramatically.
No it wouldn't. It would increase murders and have zero effect (at best) on suicides. Obviously people intent on committing suicide, even with a gun, will have plenty of time to punch in a PIN, and murders would increase because all such a plan would do is slow down the ability of a victim to put his gun into play because, of course, the criminal, even if he does have to put in a PIN, will do so BEFORE beginning his assault, leaving the victim, who has perhaps fractions of a second to respond, at a disadvantage.
And how, exactly is self defense with guns a "major cause of mega murders?" Let me guess: You're going to come up with some stupid-ass claim that deranged mass murderers who think that they are "defending themselves" against something qualifies as "self defense." It doesn't, so don't be an ass-hat and make such a stupid-ass claim.
Obviously you're lying because it didn't concern you enough for you to cancel your visit to the United States. I sort of figured you were lying the whole time, but this proves it beyond any shadow of a doubt.

Oh, and also, you STILL don't know which of the people you pass on the street are packing a tool for committing murder, even in your home country. And therein lies the point of lawful concealed carry. If one of those people who IS carrying such a tool, and decides to kill YOU, you're just completely fucked and you're going to die pissing and shitting your pants and screaming for someone who is ALSO carrying such a "tool" to save you.

I, on the other hand, am going to shoot any fucker who tries to kill me, no matter what tool he might have, and if I die, I die with a smoking gun, an empty chamber and magazine and defensive wounds on the front of my body, whereas you're going to die with shit in your pants and wounds wherever the guy with the "tool" chooses to put them, or in your back as you try to run away.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:43 pm

rainbow wrote:

I can't say I saw anyone besides cops carrying in New York.
That's why they call it "concealed carry."
I believe they have different rules in different states.
Yes, they do. Some states are "open carry," although open carry is relatively unusual and generally not a good idea tactically. Doing so makes you an identifiable target for an armed criminal, and the whole point of concealed carry is for criminals not to know who is armed, thus deterring them from criminality on the premise that the next grandma they try to rob will shoot them dead, which happens.
Strangely enough they confiscated our umbrella, which could've been used to fight off other umbrella wielding mass murderers.
Who, exactly, confiscated your umbrella? TSA? Did you try to carry it on the aircraft? That was a dumb idea because yes, an umbrella CAN be effectively used as a weapon...against many other types of weapons. Just ask John Steed.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:45 pm

mistermack wrote:Good idea.

You mean like the severe penalties already in place for ANY person (criminal) disqualified from possessing a firearm to be in possession of any ammunition, even a single round, "unstamped" or not?

Once again you propose something that will have zero effect on criminals or gun crime. Of course that's pretty standard for your ilk.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:46 pm

John Steed famously never carried a gun. An umbrella was deemed more gentlemanly. :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:48 pm

LucidFlight wrote:We should recommend this to the NRA association.
The "NRA association?"

Really?

Did you know that "NRA" stands for "National Rifle Association?" I don't think there is a National Rifle Association Association, but you're welcome to recommend this to them...if you can find them.

As for "microstamping" and every other harebrained anti-gun notion like this, the NRA is well aware of such bullshit and spends a good deal of well-spent donor funds pointing out to people with actual brains just how incredibly stupid such ideas are.

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Xamonas Chegwé wrote:John Steed famously never carried a gun. An umbrella was deemed more gentlemanly. :tea:
His choice to make. Not his authority to impose on anyone else however. I'd use an umbrella or a cane if necessary, but I'd still carry a gun because sometimes bringing an umbrella to a gun fight is a bad idea.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 pm

Seth wrote:
Xamonas Chegwé wrote:John Steed famously never carried a gun. An umbrella was deemed more gentlemanly. :tea:
His choice to make. Not his authority to impose on anyone else however. I'd use an umbrella or a cane if necessary, but I'd still carry a gun because sometimes bringing an umbrella to a gun fight is a bad idea.
Celebrity Death-Match - John Steed v The Penguin! :biggrin:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

LucidFlight
About me: I enjoy transcending space-time.

Post by LucidFlight » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Seth wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:We should recommend this to the NRA association.
The "NRA association?"

Really?

Did you know that "NRA" stands for "National Rifle Association?" I don't think there is a National Rifle Association Association, but you're welcome to recommend this to them...if you can find them.
Sorry. I should have checked the OED dictionary before I posted that. :(
Sent from my eyeballs using — that's not how this works; that's not how any of this works.